Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS  (Read 12489 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Implementing race in LCS
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 04:09:26 pm »

Yeah, I can see how racism improperly implemented could destroy LCS itself.  That being said, I have faith in Fox.

Yannanth

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 05:35:15 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:23:23 pm by Yannanth »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:26 pm »

SJWs?

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 09:33:08 pm »

Social Justice Warriors

They're part exaggerated internet reactions to social injustice and part strawman created to mock people who want change in the world.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 11:20:30 pm »

Fox has always been leading the game in the right direction, and yes a political satire game especially LCS should have race. I can imagine a Social Justice Crime Squad in the game that can be positive or negative depending on how they are implemented. A plethora of possibilities that would give the game the depth it deserves.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 06:03:06 am »

Hahaha, I would trust Fox with my life. If it were a program. And I wanted it to be fun and good.

Vault Dweller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »

What does everyone think of adding a bit of SJW flair to LCS (in the L+ extreme)?

I believe there is no place for that in LCS simply because the Liberals are supposed to be the greatest thing ever in-game and SJW antics would paint their agenda in a negative light. If Elite Liberal laws involved ethnic revenge,reverse discrimination, mass censorship in the name of political correctness or reverse racism, it would break the mood of the game. Same reason Speech L+ implies total freedom of speech rather than political correctness gone mad. Plus this game was inspired by 1980s radical leftists who had the hearts to risk their lives for what they believed in(and they indeed gave their lives for it) rather than tumblr "Social Justice" Warriors using the Internet to complain about sexism in videogames when not lining up to buy the latest hipster product.

Internet SJW(whom Poe's Law applies in most cases) would only fit in a mirror version of LCS called "Western Civilization Defense Squad" or alike where the villains of LCS are instead painted as "Libertarian freedom fighters" and an Elite Liberal government is made into a ridiculous caricature as ecofascists who hate and discriminate every cisgendered Caucasian, sentence people to life sentences for saying anything politically incorrect, considers criticism of the government "hate crimes", let ethnic minorities get away with horrible crimes sentenced very lightly and want to destroy America through mass immigration and imposition of foreign cultures and religions in the name of diversity and multiculturalism, etc.

As for ethnicities and racism, Nightmare Mode should be Nightmare Mode, no punches spared, and LCS already is very politically incorrect in any case, but the upper classes of the C+ would refrain from using slurs too much simply because they don't fit with their etiquette, while the lower class C+ NPCs would throw one, particularly in combat. If playing with a LCS founder that is victim of such prejudice makes the early game more difficult and challenging, even better.

I find it funny some people feel uneasy about the ideas of ethnic groups or of C+ NPCs occasionally expressing openly their hatred for non-whites with offensive words in Nightmare Mode considering it also implies child slavery, sweatshop slaves who happen to be mostly illegal immigrants being worked to death while naked, Death Squads, CEOs having slaves they can treat as they see fit, total misogyny, gays being lynched by mobs with impunity, pollution being sold as food, and the CCS blowing up Hospitals, ACLU's office, etc. It is as funny as the usual types in tumbrl who demand censorship and whitewashing of discriminatory content shown in movies/etc about historical settings where discrimination was very real, almost like if they wanted to push for historical revisionism in INGSOC style. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:17:29 pm by Vault Dweller »

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 02:14:13 pm »

Indeed. "Social justice warrior" is basically a derisive term for people who scream bloody murder when white people eat Chinese food (seriously), but don't seem to care that a good chunk of the world is without clean water or decent shelter. LCS is based off of the Symbionese Liberation Army. Whatever faults they may have had (they were batshit insane killers, for one), they didn't even remotely resemble modern tumblr SJWs.

On a side note - maybe interracial flirting should be illegalized at C+ Civil Rights, especially black man-on-white woman flirting. Which reminds me - Is gay flirting illegal at C+ Gay Rights?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 04:20:03 pm »

Indeed. "Social justice warrior" is basically a derisive term for people who scream bloody murder when white people eat Chinese food (seriously), but don't seem to care that a good chunk of the world is without clean water or decent shelter. LCS is based off of the Symbionese Liberation Army. Whatever faults they may have had (they were batshit insane killers, for one), they didn't even remotely resemble modern tumblr SJWs.

Maybe the SJS could be inclued in a version where we could play as the CCS.

On a side note - maybe interracial flirting should be illegalized at C+ Civil Rights, especially black man-on-white woman flirting.

1) Yes, and such crime should be called "race treason"/"miscegenation".
2) Maybe lynchings should be inclued in newspaper.

Which reminds me - Is gay flirting illegal at C+ Gay Rights?

No but it should be "crime against nature" at C+ Gay Rights.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:28 pm »

In general, I would tend to tie any implementation of racial stereotypes to laws. The more liberal the relevant laws are, the more colorblind the game becomes; the more conservative the laws become, the more segregated society appears to be.
Well, what I'm saying is that legislation is colourblind at Moderate or Conservative (which may actually increase segregation a little), affirmative action policies are implemented at L (which say, increas the number of blacks in professions or university) and these go much further and begin negatively affecting anyone who is classified as 'PoC' at L+ pants-on-fire liberalism.

Don't forget that colourblind policies are not always the best; for example, the law in many states before the 1964 Civil Rights Act said anyone could vote as long as they passed a literacy test... and considering the high percentage of functional illiteracy among black Americans (that still plagues that community to this day) and just being excluded on the basis of their race, they actually could not vote.

L+ is generally portrayed as desirable: in this case, redressing past wrongs.  Reparations, etc.  (Since whites got a hella economic boost from slavery, black people deserve payment for the value they contributed.)

As for literacy tests...they tended to vary dramatically depending on the person being tested.  The goalposts, they moved.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:27 am »

I think the difference for me is that racial slurs exist only in language. Conveying that with a word IS what that is. Violence exists with physical actions, no amount of describing it in a purely text game is going to illicit the same response as say, a real live video clip.

You say that LCS should pull no punches, and I either hear you saying that LCS is a serious social commentary and should reflect reality (Let me just go recruit some dogs to assassinate racists), or that the humor in the game should employ shock value.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:45 am »

I dug around the game files some time ago, and I found that newspapers sometimes use racial slurs if the US has C+ Civil Rights but higher Free Speech. That situation is pretty rare, though.

I'm not sure if literacy tests could be considered colorblind. The wording of the law was colorblind, but its intention was clear: suppress as many black votes as possible, even if meant suppressing a few white votes.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 07:52:54 am »

Perhaps, on the topic of Social Justice Warriors, it could be a seperate squad. There has been talk of more squads then the Liberal Crime Squad and the Conservative Crime Squad (Stalinists, I believe, was one idea). SJWs could be an extremist version of the LCS (Yes, an extremist version of an extremist group) that is colored yellow (Since they aren't conservative nor truly liberal) who does CCS-like behavior like shooting up hospital and practices extremely screwed up liberal values. Perhaps they could have a mechanic where they are able to infiltrate your group better then conservative scum.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »

Or, the SJW's would be a social media based squad. Peaceful but negatively influence the stronger crime squad, which could be good or bad. But, if the LCS decides to do away with them violently then the LCS loses loads of public admiration. Thus, the only method of elimination is to use media based activities to denounce the SJWs. 

Yannanth

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:18 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:22:49 pm by Yannanth »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6