Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 315881 times)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Planning: Terra Vitae mod
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 07:49:11 pm »

This sounds AMAZING. I suggest releasing this mod in fully formed sections, i.e., first the Mafia, then Amerindians, then Magic, etc.
Thats a good idea, that way if someone only wants certain sections of the mod they can, and if something gets fucked up along the way, you have a fool proof save that can't get corrupted or deleted on accident.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »

Well, I'm finally working on it for reals now, and have discovered a problem:

I want to as many of the TV functions as possible in a different .cpp file, but I can't find how to get the compiler to see the new files. Where in the make file can I specify the new files I want to add?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it. There are two make files, and I was looking in the wrong one...

EDIT: Nope, I'm doing something wrong. How do I add a new .cpp file to the source?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:53:44 pm by SlatersQuest »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 07:52:24 pm »

All right! Progress!

I'm going through the different parts of the mod dealing with it category-by-category, so that I won't have to refresh my memory of how it works every time I enter a new phase of development. I've also been learning about the code (I'm familiar with C, but this is my first experience with C++), which is why it's taken so long to get here. Expect future updates to be more frequent.

Thus, without adieu, here's a progress update:

New combat skills Magic, Powers, and Battlesuit have been implemented. All three have also been implemented as weapons, although I still have to make the Battlesuit armor. So far, no occupations that use these skills are available, however, so this shouldn't change the game as-is.

Coming up:

Make the new laws that affect the aforementioned skills. This will enable many of the classes currently in the game to use some of these abilities (Amateur Magicians and Priests can have magic depending on Religious Freedom laws, and Mutants will occasionally have powers).

Next will be to make the professions in question, then the new sites, and then the new mechanics.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:42 pm »

This sounds -great-! My only objection is - why would you want to play as the LCS when you could play as the hippie eco squad and fight for the destruction of all industry and return to hobbit/elfdom ways of living?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 12:16:40 am »

This sounds -great-! My only objection is - why would you want to play as the LCS when you could play as the hippie eco squad and fight for the destruction of all industry and return to hobbit/elfdom ways of living?

Lol - well, that's ultimately what I'd like to do, but that would require quite substantial edits to the very basic game mechanics that are, I fear, beyond my current abilities. I'd have to remove and/or repurpose a lot of the locations, revamp the political system, change how recruitment (especially seduction) works, etc. This is already an ambitious mod, ambitious enough that it's already been claimed as a little bit too much and unlikely to finish. I hope to prove those claims wrong - but I want to have a fair chance of actually doing so! :)

Also, the literary inspiration for Terra Vitae is not that of a hippie organization aiming to destroy all industry, so I'd like to keep that aspect, too. Although you can turn it into one in this mod, since you basically get to control it as well as the LCS if you should, oh, seduce the TV founder! :p

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 09:21:24 pm »

Although you can turn it into one in this mod, since you basically get to control it as well as the LCS if you should, oh, seduce the TV founder! :p

Shouldn't be a problem.  LCS members excel at seducing transvestites.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:46 am »

Although you can turn it into one in this mod, since you basically get to control it as well as the LCS if you should, oh, seduce the TV founder! :p

Shouldn't be a problem.  LCS members excel at seducing transvestites.

I think it's more of LCS members compel conservatives to become transvestites.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 06:59:04 pm »

Transvestite is a slur

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 01:26:48 pm »

Transvestite is a slur

Oops, didn't know that.  No offense everyone.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 05:53:27 pm »

DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »

We're getting off-topic here...

Suffice it to say, Terra Vitae members are not transvestites. They wear ARMOR_CLOTHES, ARMOR_BLACKSUIT, and other forms of gender-neutral outfits.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 07:40:47 pm »

Transvestite is a slur

Sorry about that, I always thought it was the literal term and not derogatory. I believe there are other, more obvious slurs (won't say it here) but no offense was intended.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:58 pm »

Tahujdt is totally right, and the retard example is a really good one. I just know personally a lot of transgender people that strongly dislike the term because it is often used negatively.

Also, avoid saying transgendered, because that implies that their transness was something that was done to them, and not something that simply is. Just some additional tips I guess, hahaha.

I didn't mean to throw this way off topic. We should definitely forgo this discussion in favor of discussing the Terra Vitae mod, as it is quite the interesting mod idea and I'm interested in it.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:02 am »

Working on the laws and views, which are mostly done.

Adding:
+Several more execution methods
+Several kinds of CEO/CIA/AMR/CableTV docs that affect new laws and views
+Hippies can know (very limited, but enough to train on) Magic if Terra Vitae is really popular

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 12:12:25 am »

Ooooh, this looks cool. PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57