Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 315834 times)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Planning: Terra Vitae mod
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2014, 06:54:25 pm »

"Secured, anonymous, instant, without a cloud." Pretty sure theres no cloud.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 01:35:36 am »

Yeah everyone who has the tab open at the same time downloads from eachother. As long as one person on the page has the full file, downloadin' can continue.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 01:39:47 am »

"Secured, anonymous, instant, without a cloud." Pretty sure theres no cloud.
There may, however, be a spoon.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 03:42:06 pm »

This is why everyone else uses dropbox.

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2014, 09:44:41 pm »

Well, I don't want to use Drop Box because I'd like to keep my real identity separate from my LCS gamer identity from Google.

Zaroth, I don't know how to fork on Github, which seems like the next choice of a solution. Can you message me and tell me how? Thanks.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 11:59:37 pm »

The better solution is at hand! I got permission to upload it to the Dwarf Fortress file resources page. I updated the link on the opening post, so now you can get it for reals!  :)

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 05:03:23 am »

Yesssss

I will come back later with feedback and hopefully fun stories later. (I can't say when I'm all busy with work and junk)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:15 am »

So it still only works for Mac?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 01:42:58 am »

The executable does. Does anybody have a Widows machine and can compile the source? The source should work on any machine!

detective1412

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2014, 09:12:47 am »

This is a very interesting concept! I always want to play mafia-themed roguelike, and maybe this is as far as it gets for now. (Even though we don't play as the mob)
Sadly, i use Windows.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 01:08:27 pm »

SlatersQuest, you should try this MinGW cross-compiler for Mac OS X, which can create Windows executables from Mac OS X.

As for your mod, it looks to have extremely ambitious goals but it seems you're making good progress. If you do find bugs in the original source code for Liberal Crime Squad that you've fixed, or if you make improvements that you think would do well in the original game, it would be good to contribute those back to the original game (although that's probably just a small percentage of the changes you make, I think most of your changes are additions to the game specific to this mod). I wonder if you have a SourceForge account, it would be good to get you as a developer on the main project so that any bug fixes or improvements that would apply to the vanilla game, you can directly contribute yourself... it would be possible for you to post source code on this forum and have another developer put it into the project but that is inefficient, it would be more efficient if you had direct access to contribute improvements back to the main game. So I'm hoping you become a developer on the main project on SourceForge so you can contribute fixes and general improvements that aren't mod-specific to it. It would especially be good to have you as a developer because it would be nice to have more developers who use Mac OS X as their primary operating system since I'm pretty sure most of the current developers use Windows or Linux (I use Windows myself, Windows XP to be specific, and yes I know XP is supposedly obsolete).

As for the idea of the mod, it has a lot of great ideas, I think it's great! Some of them aren't exactly the same ideas I would have if I were trying to think up a mod for the game, but they sound very interesting and creative, and it would be fun to see what it would be like if they were implemented (I am referring to the Terra Vitae faction here). Other ideas are exactly the kind of thing I would want to have in a mod... stuff like superheroes, supervillains, magical powers, having the views and laws directly correspond, the mafia... but personally I would also add space aliens, robots, the undead, crazy cults, the ability to start a nuclear war when you're inside the Oval Office, and of course a Communist political faction (which someone earlier than me decided to call the Stalinist Comrade Squad which is a cool name so I'm sticking with that).
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:09 pm »

Sorry for the late reply - my browser died and needed to be reinstalled!  :o

SlatersQuest, you should try this MinGW cross-compiler for Mac OS X, which can create Windows executables from Mac OS X.

Thanks for linking this, but I have a problem, and that's that I don't know how to compile LCS using gcc by itself. What I do is go into the src directory and say 'make', and let the makefile tell gcc what to do. I've never compiled a multiple source-file application using gcc by itself. How do I do this?

I wonder if you have a SourceForge account, it would be good to get you as a developer on the main project so that any bug fixes or improvements that would apply to the vanilla game, you can directly contribute yourself... it would be possible for you to post source code on this forum and have another developer put it into the project but that is inefficient, it would be more efficient if you had direct access to contribute improvements back to the main game.

I do not have a SourceForge account. You will also need to help me for figuring out the syntax of how to put things together on SourceForge (for the record, I'm basically learning to program as I do this - heretofore I had only used ansi-C and in programs that use only one .c file. A whole lot of this is new to me…).

I have found a few bugs (notably the dating-saving bug I mentioned elsewhere on this forum), so yes, I'd be happy to help as I can, though!

As for the idea of the mod, it has a lot of great ideas, I think it's great! Some of them aren't exactly the same ideas I would have if I were trying to think up a mod for the game, but they sound very interesting and creative, and it would be fun to see what it would be like if they were implemented (I am referring to the Terra Vitae faction here).

Thanks! Terra Vitae is an organization with a literary inspiration that I wanted to include an expy of for the mod, which is why it's in there. Right now the architecture for superheroes/villains is ambiguous as to the origin of many of the supers, though, so they could be alien, undead, etc. About the only difference is magic/nonmagic, which is important mainly because it determines whether you are guilty if witchcraft or superhuman treason (or both).

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:53 am »

Thanks for linking this, but I have a problem, and that's that I don't know how to compile LCS using gcc by itself. What I do is go into the src directory and say 'make', and let the makefile tell gcc what to do. I've never compiled a multiple source-file application using gcc by itself. How do I do this?

Yes I have trouble with Makefiles too. I compile it using the Code::Blocks IDE, which integrates with the GCC compiler (the MinGW-GCC compiler if you use Windows). There is a Code::Blocks project .CBP file in the "workspaces" directory of the source code. It should be able to compile correctly if you set up Code::Blocks to know where GCC is on your computer, although it is set up to compile to a Windows .exe file for both Release and Debug builds. Code::Blocks runs on Mac OS X and Linux too but I don't know what would happen if you tried compiling the project in it. If you are on a Mac and trying to use a MinGW GCC cross-compiler that compiles for Windows, it might be possible to set up Code::Blocks for Mac OS X to use that cross-compiler as its compiler. You'd have to look at the documentation for Code::Blocks as well as for MinGW and the cross-compiler.

I am curious though, how do you compile and build the program anyway? You are on a Mac and I think the build instructions in the README files tell how to compile using XCode and GCC with a Makefile. I mean you are making a mod and have compiled and built it successfully... do you just have a problem with Makefiles? What compiler do you use anyway? I heard a lot of people on Apple computers use a compiler called Clang... is that what you use and does it work with the LCS source code? There aren't any debug defines in the source code for Clang but there are for other compilers like MS VC++ and GCC and even some older compilers like Borland. I wonder if Clang is similar enough to GCC in its API of what functions it implements and what macros it defines, that it can compile most stuff that works on GCC without any trouble... or is it different enough that we might need to put in more debug defines to get the game working with Clang? I am not sure because I haven't ever tried Clang, but apparently it's what everyone at Apple uses nowadays and I think it's the main compiler bundled with Apple's XCode now, so maybe that is what you are using since you're on a Mac.

As for SourceForge, well, anyone can download the code even without an account, obviously you've done that. In order to change the code you need a user account and you also need to be granted commit access by one of the admins of the project... basically, you need Jonathan S. Fox to grant you commit access if you set up an account there since I think the other admin has been inactive for years. Then you need to get an SVN/Subversion client... I use TortoiseSVN since it's the best and most popular one for Windows, but on Mac, I am not sure what to use. A bunch of the popular and high-rated SVN clients for Mac OS X such as Versions, Cornerstone, and SmartSVN are proprietary and cost money, unlike TortoiseSVN for Windows, which not only is better than any of them but free and open source. There is a free version of SmartSVN available (proprietary freeware) but it has less features. There's also an SVN client built into Apple's XCode that is command-line but apparently it also integrates into XCode's IDE. There's a whole bunch of open-source SVN clients besides TortoiseSVN but most of them haven't been updated in quite some time and don't seem to have that many features. One of the best open-source ones that's available for Macs and cross-platform is apparently RapidSVN and there's also KdeSVN which is based on KDE. Anyway you need a client that supports the svn+ssh:// protocol if you want to be able to commit changes over SVN to sites like SourceForge.

It might also be a good idea to get a Git client, that's a newer version control system that's getting to be more popular... SVN replaced CVS as a version control system but now Git seems to be the biggest rising star of version control systems and many people are switching to it. Some people apparently forked Liberal Crime Squad on GitHub so you'd need a Git client if you wanted to be able to contribute changes to their project there, although anyone can download it without needing a client.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:52 am »

There is a Code::Blocks project .CBP file in the "workspaces" directory of the source code. It should be able to compile correctly if you set up Code::Blocks to know where GCC is on your computer, although it is set up to compile to a Windows .exe file for both Release and Debug builds.

Um, yeah, how do I do this? I don't even understand the syntax - I've seen the :: before, in the functions that happen within the classes in the files. I'm gathering that classes are what are referred to as objects, but from what I can tell they behave more or less like structs, just with functions specific to themselves instead of being accessible by other functions. But is this even the same thing here?

I recall downloading LCS using the command line prompt in the Unix terminal, by cutting and pasting a "download LCS for Mac" thread on this forum. Then I compiled it by going into the src directory and typing make. Unfortunately, I don't really understand much of the SVN code that I gave the terminal...

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »

Update: while I am waiting for help on how to compile in Windows, I am adding the new creature types to the game. Expect them up in a couple of days (or less).

Changes to existing creature types not yet mentioned:
-College Students have minimum intelligence scores

Note: New locations are not included in this version. Here are where you can find the new creature types:
Amerindian Citizens - at m to C Amerindian Affairs laws, you can encounter them in the housing projects. They move to the university apartments at L and to the downtown apartments at L+.
Amerindian Police - cannot be encountered until the Rez is added.
Amerindian Shaman - at L and L+ Amerindian Affair laws, they can appear in the park but are rare.
Best Man - cannot be encountered until the Church and Church sieges are added.
Bride - see Best Man.
Groom - see Best Man.
Mafia Don - you can encounter them in the gentlemen's club. They won't always be conservative, but are more difficult to recruit than usual even when liberal.
Mafia Goon - you can find them in the gentlemen's club, the park, and the housing projects.
Mafia Hitman - you can find them in the upscale apartments, the gentlemen's club, and the park. They'll be disguised much as professional thieves are.
Mafia Lady - find them in the upscale apartments, rarely the police station and courthouse. Presumably, they're seducing the cops/judges/lawyers just as you are!
Maid of Honor - see Best Man.
Power Armor Soldier - find them at the military base, and, if you tick off the forces of justice enough, in sieges (they show up as part of the army).
Professional Assassin - very rarely, you can encounter these in the upscale apartments, the CEO HQ, Intelligence HQ, the White House… they'll be disguised, and hard to recruit.
Terra Vitae Agents - rarely you can encounter them in the park or in the juice bar. They're not easy to recruit either.
Terra Vitae Leaders - not currently encounter able
Terra Vitae Students - common in the Juice Bar and less common in the park, but they look like ordinary college students until you recruit them.
Superheroes - show up with appropriate laws
Supercriminals - show up with appropriate laws and public opinion
Superminions - don't appear yet
Supervillains - don't appear yet either

Other adjustments: I'm modifying Seduction again. Seduction now behaves as if partially modified by Strength, Agility, and Health, as well as Charisma. However, the other effects of those stats on dating and maximum loveslaves are being removed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:38:17 pm by SlatersQuest »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 57