Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 319028 times)

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 0.31 released!)
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2014, 07:42:08 am »

Sorry, but how do you install this on Mac OSX, i followed the instruction for Mac OSX in the linuxreadme file, but I don't have any of the new locations, and they're in the art folder.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2014, 11:33:18 pm »

In case you don't know, adultery actually is a crime in the United States.  So sexual freedom should be at C level in the default game, if it isn't already.

Probably not a surprise for anyone who spent time in the United States, really...

I'd also suggest prostitution be decriminalized at more liberal levels of sexual freedom.

Anxiously awaiting the Windows version!

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2014, 08:20:44 pm »

Sorry, but how do you install this on Mac OSX, i followed the instruction for Mac OSX in the linuxreadme file, but I don't have any of the new locations, and they're in the art folder.

You must be playing with an old version, then. How are you invoking the game? Did you install it globally to your entire computer such that you can invoke it anywhere, or did you change directory to the /terravitae0.31/src/ directory in order to initiate the game?

Also, as of version 0.3, this mod uses a different save file to save the game (it's saveTV0.3.dat in the .lcs/ directory, instead of save.dat), so you shouldn't have any problems with existing games of other versions of LCS.

You will need the Mac OS X developer tools in order to configure it, apparently. I'm trying to use it on somebody else's Mac and it can't seem to recognize that crimesquad is an executable file.

In case you don't know, adultery actually is a crime in the United States.  So sexual freedom should be at C level in the default game, if it isn't already.

Well, according to Wikipedia (assuming it's accurate, which I have no reason to suspect that it isn't), adultery is a crime in 21 of the 50 U.S. states. That means that it's legal in 29 states. Among the states that outlaw it, the penalties range from a $10 fine (Maryland) up to a life sentence (Michigan). It's very rarely enforced, though, even in Michigan (the last conviction anywhere in the U.S. was in 1983).

This is one of the inaccuracies of Liberal Crime Squad: the U.S. federal government does not have the authority to govern things like murder, common thievery, marriage, and most anything else that doesn't deal either with interactions between states or interactions between the U.S. as a whole and other countries. In LCS, for example, the death penalty is legislated by Congress; in reality, each state has its own death penalty laws, with some states using it frequently and others having outlawed it entirely. The U.S. constitution actually forbids the federal government from getting involved in this. Outlawing the death penalty throughout the U.S. would actually require a constitutional amendment. The same goes for outlawing (or legalizing) adultery.

I'd also suggest prostitution be decriminalized at more liberal levels of sexual freedom.

I quite agree. It's already on my to-do list to re-vamp the sexual crimes.

Right now, it's impossible to get flagged for a sexual crime without going to trial, at which point the game flags you automatically. I'd like the game to have a chance of flagging you at the time you initiate the affair, and for the game to potentially miss sleepers, etc.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:28:10 pm by SlatersQuest »

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:08 am »

This is one of the inaccuracies of Liberal Crime Squad: the U.S. federal government does not have the authority to govern things like murder, common thievery, marriage, and most anything else that doesn't deal either with interactions between states or interactions between the U.S. as a whole and other countries. In LCS, for example, the death penalty is legislated by Congress; in reality, each state has its own death penalty laws, with some states using it frequently and others having outlawed it entirely. The U.S. constitution actually forbids the federal government from getting involved in this. Outlawing the death penalty throughout the U.S. would actually require a constitutional amendment. The same goes for outlawing (or legalizing) adultery.

Liberal Crime Squad treats the concept of "constitutionality" with about as much reverence as the RL Supreme Court does (that is, the Constitution means whatever the Justices want it to mean).

Also, if we did have a state-and-federal political system, States' Rights would have to be added to the issue list, which would have an effect on what issues fall under the state banner or the federal banner, and that would get complicated real quick.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2014, 10:43:44 pm »

Point

I've been busy with RL work, but here's the plan for what will be the way that the Sexual Freedom laws affect the various sexual crimes:

L+ - Public nudity will alarm the conservatives if you do it in a non-public place (so, for example, you can walk around naked in the park or the police station, but not the AM Radio station). You can still be tried for and convicted of public nudity, because you can still commit it if you do it on non-public non-LCS property. All other sexual crimes (prostitution, adultery, sexual treason) are legal and purged from your record each month, a la hurtful speech when Free Speech laws are anything other than C+.

L - Public nudity is a crime normally. Prostitution is also criminal in that you can be tried for it, but the police will no longer try to catch prostitutes in much the same way as selling brownies when Drug Laws are L. Adultery and sexual treason are legal.

m - Public nudity and prostitution are treated normally. Adultery is a crime but gets a very minor sentence, and it's impossible to acquire new charges of adultery, although previous charges will stick around. Sexual treason is legal.

C - Public nudity, prostitution, and adultery are all criminal. Adultery will get a long sentence but will not get the death penalty (unless Death Penalty laws are C+, of course, in which case even loitering is capital). Sexual treason is legal.

C+ - Public nudity and prostitution are crimes as normal. Adultery is a capital offense. Persons with high enough raw attributes who have sex with an unapproved mate (either a conservative who also has high raw attributes or an Important Conservative) can be charged with sexual treason, which even more serious than murder (still capital, but will generate more heat and be harder to escape in a trial). However, persons capable of sexual treason by their attributes having non-treasonous sex are not committing any sexual crime, even if the sex is extramarital.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2015, 03:32:56 pm »

Well, I am sorry. After months of banging my head against the wall, I don't think I have what I need to port Liberal Crime Squad to Windows.

Jonathan Fox said that I need to edit a file labeled workspaces/game.sln. I have discovered that Windows versions of LCS have this file, but my (Mac/Unix) version does not. Ergo I need something that can convert a Unix file to a Windows file directly.

Can somebody with more knowledge about Windows systems or Windows programming help me?

Addendum: I am looking at various emulators that would allow you to run the game on Windows. Everybody keeps talking about VirtualBox. I'm going to try that with Unix.

Addendum to addendum: I believe it can be made to work, but I don't have enough Windows know-how to make it work. There are files that I am supposed to be looking for that don't exist in the Unix-based version of the game (Mac is Unix-based), and I need those files to build a Windows version. Probably, the files do exist but are named something else, but I haven't the foggiest what their Unix-names would be. Somebody needs to help with this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:24:23 pm by SlatersQuest »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2015, 09:24:13 am »

Version 0.4 is almost ready for release. I'm still squashing bugs, but will have them soon.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 0.4 released!)
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »

Version 0.4 is released!

Can somebody help me update it for Windows? :)

Highlights - most of the new locations, characters, places, etc. have been added.

Future Plans

Version 0.5 will include a couple of new activities (Athletics, Secret Missions), as well as actions by the villains to try to destroy the Wilderness and Terra Vitae.

Version 1.0 will include the new win condition.

Version 1.1 and onward will add methods for player-created factions to be added to the game (want to fight against a rival LCS? We are struggling together!)

corgi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44:04 am »

I got it to compile for Windows pretty easily, not sure if my version is stable or anything but it seems to run for me.

There's a bug in this version (not sure if it exists in base LCS) where conservatives will siege the courthouse when you have liberals held there. It might apply to the police station and prison as well. It makes the save unrecoverable without hexediting since there's no way to break the siege. I'm trying to fix the bug on my machine but I haven't found it yet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »

If you could release your Windows version, it would really help those of us who cringe at words such as "compile".

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2015, 10:05:43 pm »

I got it to compile for Windows pretty easily, not sure if my version is stable or anything but it seems to run for me.

Awesome - indeed, can you post it, and, more importantly, tell me how you did it? I have a Windows computer, but lack the Windows knowhow to compile anything on it. It would be really nice if I could learn how to do this myself so that I can release Windows versions of future updates, too! :)

There's a bug in this version (not sure if it exists in base LCS) where conservatives will siege the courthouse when you have liberals held there. It might apply to the police station and prison as well. It makes the save unrecoverable without hexediting since there's no way to break the siege. I'm trying to fix the bug on my machine but I haven't found it yet.

Yeah, that's a bug, and a surprising one. Did you get it via moving conservatives to the Courthouse using the cheat code functions, or did you do it through normal means?

corgi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2015, 09:21:39 pm »

Here's my Windows executable. Just drop it in the terravitae0.4 folder from the original zip and run it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujn5ucp9gdb1rsg/crimesquad.exe?dl=0
I don't think I changed anything important, but I can't guarantee it'll work right. It runs on my computer with no issues I've noticed except the siege thing. Let me know if it works.

Awesome - indeed, can you post it, and, more importantly, tell me how you did it? I have a Windows computer, but lack the Windows knowhow to compile anything on it. It would be really nice if I could learn how to do this myself so that I can release Windows versions of future updates, too! :)

Yeah, that's a bug, and a surprising one. Did you get it via moving conservatives to the Courthouse using the cheat code functions, or did you do it through normal means?
I just opened the game.sln file that came in the download (I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Professional), let it update the file format, fixed a couple compiler errors and then built. You have to add tvrecord.cpp in the src/monthly folder to the project manually, it's missing from the download. My version probably isn't a stable release.  :-X

The siege bug seems to happen whenever I have several high heat liberals awaiting trial. I've tested a bit and it's pretty consistent if I put lots of multiple murderers in the homeless shelter and then surrender to a police siege. It happened in normal gameplay, no cheat codes needed.
There's always the possibility that it's an artifact of my lazy windows port of course.  :)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:30 am »

Darn, browser lost this site and I didn't check it. Sorry!

Thanks for posting - tvrecord.cpp is missing? Where did you get it then? I just zipped the entire folder and put the package available.

Does Windows come with Visual Studio, or is it an extra? I'm looking at it online and I see a huge pricetag, which is not something I want to ask people to buy. :)

I will try to duplicate the bug, but so far I haven't. I have, however, found some other bugs that I thought I had fixed. Stay tuned? :)

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »

Possible Workaround :
You can assign everybody to a Squad. Press 'R' then 'Z' assigned the Prisoners (and possible sleepers at the police station) to a Squad, select it and fight.

Possible Solution :
If you modded it from 4.7.4, then it is probably in the main game, because in 4.7.4 the CCS can attack safehouses with no heat, while in 4.7.0 the court house would need heat, but can't (even if you have a squad stationed here).
I assume, that Rednecks can raid the court house in 4.7.0 too. To fix this bug, check is the variable RENTING from a location is nonzero before raiding it.
renting -2 : RENTING_CCS (The Desert Eagle Bar for example)
renting -1: RENTING_NOCONTROL (the courthouse for example)
renting 0 : RENTING_PERMANENT (The Homeless shelter for example)
renting >0: Appartementbuildings with a LCS flat.

The Police checks for renting
line 99 in siege.cpp :       
Code: [Select]
if(location[l]->renting==RENTING_NOCONTROL)continue;
The CCS DOES NOT !
line 448 in siege.cpp :
Code: [Select]
if(location[l]->heat&&location[l]->siege.timeuntilccs==-1&&!location[l]->siege.siege&&!LCSrandom(60)&&numpres>0)
My wild guesses use 4.7.0 as base, so the line numbers in 4.7.4 and Terra Vitae are probably different. But it might solve the Problem.

corgi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2015, 08:51:33 pm »

Darn, browser lost this site and I didn't check it. Sorry!

Thanks for posting - tvrecord.cpp is missing? Where did you get it then? I just zipped the entire folder and put the package available.

Does Windows come with Visual Studio, or is it an extra? I'm looking at it online and I see a huge pricetag, which is not something I want to ask people to buy. :)

I will try to duplicate the bug, but so far I haven't. I have, however, found some other bugs that I thought I had fixed. Stay tuned? :)
tvrecord.cpp is in the zip file. You just have to add it to the project manually.

You don't have to buy Visual Studio. It doesn't come with Windows, but it's free for individuals. Check here. I'm sure you can compile the project without it too, that's just what I did.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57