Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 318595 times)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 0.5 released!)
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2016, 12:30:49 am »

Sorry for being unresponsive. I've been busy with groundwork needed for this mod.

Not sure if this is already implemented(And I haven't been able to try TV), but the violence strategy(AKA "Keep shooting up the police station to prevent Heat gain, then shoot up everything else for a few years) should be somewhat nerfed in TV, because it's way too OP in regular LCS once you get a squad of six badasses with AR15s/M4 Carbines capable of mass murder. Shooting up the police station should no longer mean you don't gain heat any more.

It's not implemented yet, but it's something I would like to do.

Hi guys, been looking at this mod for a while and have to say that I'm very interested :)

But being the computer illiterate idiot I am, I have tried and failed repeatedly to compile the source code into a working exe...I think I may have even managed to launch a drone into space in the process, however.

Could I politely ask for a .exe here?

As soon as I manage to make a .exe, yes!

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »

Not sure if this is already implemented(And I haven't been able to try TV), but the violence strategy(AKA "Keep shooting up the police station to prevent Heat gain, then shoot up everything else for a few years) should be somewhat nerfed in TV, because it's way too OP in regular LCS once you get a squad of six badasses with AR15s/M4 Carbines capable of mass murder. Shooting up the police station should no longer mean you don't gain heat any more.

To be fair, it should actually be nerfed in the main game anyway.  There's no reason that the military base can't be used to stage a raid on public enemy number one as well if you take down the police station.  Also if Corporate Regulation is C or C+, and gun control is C or C+, I don't see why corporations couldn't be hired to assist as well or instead of the Police Department/Deathsquad HQ.  I'm not sure if the Civil Service could help as well without somebody being labeled as a hacker or a treasoner, but that also might be a suggestion.

I'm only suggesting these things because your goals for this project seem to suggest that you want multiple factions to be able to raid the LCS and TV.  This would work out better if multiple places could organize and conduct raids.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:21 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that only the police station matters as far as raids are concerned. This is on my list of things to fix when I get around to it, but not high on my list. Right now I'm still bogged down with supplementary material (and working on supervillains to get them to work).

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2016, 09:57:02 am »

Any progress?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2016, 10:43:22 pm »

Progress is slow because I'm trying to graduate. I believe I just need to implement the supervillains' bases and then the rest should be smooth sailing.

Addendum: part of the delay was a computer hard drive crash, but I had LCS backed up.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:44:15 pm by SlatersQuest »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2016, 09:44:35 am »

Just to let you know where this currently stands:

I finish my Ph.D. in about two weeks. Then I promised myself to finish this. I believe that the only thing remaining to be done is to make and connect the maps for the supervillain lairs, and handle some aspects of the endgame.

There are a lot of minor changes that I want to incorporate, but they will probably come out in subsequent versions shortly to come after the main release.

Aster11345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2016, 02:29:25 pm »

Ph.D.? Very nice! Congrats man! ^^

I've been following this mod silently since the topic was first posted, I can't wait for it to be released.
Can't wait for the finished product, it'll be so fun to play!

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2016, 03:55:20 pm »

Just to let you know where this currently stands:

I finish my Ph.D. in about two weeks. Then I promised myself to finish this. I believe that the only thing remaining to be done is to make and connect the maps for the supervillain lairs, and handle some aspects of the endgame.

There are a lot of minor changes that I want to incorporate, but they will probably come out in subsequent versions shortly to come after the main release.

Congratulations for your future Ph.D!

And, speaking of which, what are the little changes you refers to?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »

From 2013 all the way to 2016, you've come a long way. Hopefully this mod being finished will revive LCS?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:32:23 pm by Taberone »

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:40 am »

You can do it!

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2016, 09:13:27 pm »

Here is the plan of things to be done for version 1.0, broken down so that I can do these sequentially. None of them are particularly big, but it's likely going to take a week or so of work to get them all done. This is mostly for my reference, but just so you can see what needs to be done I'll post it here. I will update as these are done.

There are a lot of other features I plan on implementing afterwards, but will wait until I have done with 1.0.

1. necstate has to be updated once NEC is exposed. The NEC becomes more impatient if public opinion is very liberal or if the wilderness stays healthy.

2. Evil plans need to be instituted. The more active the NEC, the more rapidly they will progress. The creation of supervillains happens as a result of the advancement of evil plans. The function to do this is in the UniqueCreatures class, but is not yet coded. The type of supervillain created at this point, as well as the abilities of superminions associated with said supervillains, happens here and may need global variables.

3. Special locations in supervillain bases need to be coded. Right now these bases are randomly generated.

4. The elements in UniqueCreatures that determine whether a supervillain base’s secret has been successfully extracted need to be fulfilled.

5. Supervillains dying need to foil the evil plan (another unwritten function in UniqueCreatures)

6. Secret Missions need to be re-tooled so that the player has the choice of whether to take one.

7. The game-ending secret mission needs to be implemented.

==Future features planned but not part of 1.0==

1. Fix the violence-is-the-best-way-to-win-for-the-LCS complaint. What I’m thinking of is the following:
   -Any site action that generates a news story will liberalize public opinion if the LCS is popular, no matter how violent the LCS was.
      ->If the LCS was violent, however, the LCS will become less popular.
   -Any site action that generates a news story will conservatize public opinion if the LCS is unpopular, no matter how nonviolent/otherwise heroic the LCS was.
      ->If the LCS was nonviolent, however, the LCS will become more popular.

2. Implement movies. Unlike the LCS Movies mod, the movies in this mod will be triggered/inspired by events that take place elsewhere in the game.

3. Implement rules for player-defined factions i.e. defined in a text file that a player can easily edit. I will include a number of custom pre-generated faction lists that players can use or implement as models (e.g. generic LCS-style game, City of Heroes-themed game, Mother Tree Cycle [the story that the Terra Vitae mod is inspired by], James Bond, Star Wars, etc.). These will allow the player to define whatever factions and add them to the game. This is a major feature and will probably take several versions to fully implement, but I’ll break it down into component parts:
   3a. There will be lobbies. Lobbies don’t do anything to the LCS directly, but are composed of certain creature types such that interacting with those creature types will strengthen/weaken these lobbies, so the LCS can affect them. Lobbies act as additional legislative bodies, but have no other effect on the game except through altering laws.
   3b. Add combat factions. These combat factions will be able to fight a multi-way war with other factions, including lobbies. This will also have several steps:
      3b-1. Combat factions can interact with each-other, and be influenced by other parts of the game (e.g. laws, views, what the LCS does, etc.), but can’t spawn creatures/have bases/besiege the LCS.
      3b-2. Combat factions can besiege the LCS.
      3b-3. Combat factions can be attacked by the LCS.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »

#1 is done.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2016, 02:44:48 pm »

#1 is done.

Good luck, and I hope you will manage to suceed to your goals.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2016, 07:40:47 pm »

==Future features planned but not part of 1.0==

1. Fix the violence-is-the-best-way-to-win-for-the-LCS complaint. What I’m thinking of is the following:
   -Any site action that generates a news story will liberalize public opinion if the LCS is popular, no matter how violent the LCS was.
      ->If the LCS was violent, however, the LCS will become less popular.
   -Any site action that generates a news story will conservatize public opinion if the LCS is unpopular, no matter how nonviolent/otherwise heroic the LCS was.
      ->If the LCS was nonviolent, however, the LCS will become more popular.

Does this also apply to the CCS? Also, a few more questions about Terra Vitae:

1) If the CCS takes a LCS safehouse, will you actually be able to take it back? Not sure if the "You can't take back LCS Safehouses because Bosses never spawn" bug got fixed in Vanilla LCS.
2) What about the "Car crash victims teleport to safehouses" bug? Anyone that dies in a car crash in regular LCS has their corpses teleport to YOUR safehouse for some reason.
3) Easier to mod than regular LCS? Regular LCS has hardcoding everywhere in inconvenient places when you look into the "Art" folder. Security Guards, Mercenaries, Gangsters, and CCS Vigilantes in Creatures.xml all have hardcoded elements in them, which is frustrating

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2016, 09:38:08 am »

Sorry for the delay - I'm feeling under the weather.

Does this also apply to the CCS?

That's the plan. I'll have to find some way to make the CCS popular without violence (maybe a behind-the-scenes propaganda campaign?). In any case, this is probably a version 1.1 deal.

1) If the CCS takes a LCS safehouse, will you actually be able to take it back? Not sure if the "You can't take back LCS Safehouses because Bosses never spawn" bug got fixed in Vanilla LCS.
2) What about the "Car crash victims teleport to safehouses" bug? Anyone that dies in a car crash in regular LCS has their corpses teleport to YOUR safehouse for some reason.
3) Easier to mod than regular LCS? Regular LCS has hardcoding everywhere in inconvenient places when you look into the "Art" folder. Security Guards, Mercenaries, Gangsters, and CCS Vigilantes in Creatures.xml all have hardcoded elements in them, which is frustrating

1. I do want to fix this bug. One step at a time, though.

2. I wasn't even aware of this bug! It should be easy to fix, though.

3. The reason why these classes have hard-coded weapons is because their weapons change with the laws. For example at L+ gun control security guards usually armed with just a batan while at C+ they usually have submachine guns. The HTML scripts in Creatures.xml don't cover differences in the laws, which is why they aren't edited. You also cannot add creatures to the game using Creatures.xml, because the code that actually spawns creatures is hard-coded - the best you can do is modify them.

My faction addition is intended to enable the player to add factions to the game or to remove them entirely. As such there will be no factions in the text file that have any hard-coded components. Eventually, these text file-added factions will be able to interact with the facts that are hard-coded and do have unique mechanics (e.g. the LCS, CCS, SCS, Terra Vitae, police, CIA, corporate mercs, etc.)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 57