Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 315811 times)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 1.0 released!)
« Reply #345 on: January 21, 2017, 12:21:16 pm »

Oops - sorry I've been out of touch. i've been working on the mod, but haven't been on the forum!

Did you notice when superhuman rights laws got turned into something outside of possibility? I just took a cursory glance through and couldn't find any obvious bugs.

I am midway through the movie-making 1.1. All of the places where movies can be inspired in-game are now included, but the code that handles the movies themselves is not.

Public opinion on food is influenced by the Vegan Coop and Juice Bar.

IsaacG put up a link to his Windows version - look for it.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 26, 2017, 06:14:38 pm »

>Did you notice when superhuman rights laws got turned into something outside of possibility? I just took a cursory glance through and couldn't find any obvious bugs.

I've had this bug twice now.  I haven't yet spotted the exact point when it happens, but I think it happens during a month changeover.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2017, 08:18:57 pm »

Argh - that's going to be really hard to find without a specific report.

Current workable solution: do you know what the superhuman rights law should be? If so, then you can use cheat codes to set it straight.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 02, 2017, 12:48:33 am »

do you know what the superhuman rights law should be? If so, then you can use cheat codes to set it straight.

The bug only seems to happen when superhuman rights law is arch-conservative.  It looks almost like an underflow.  How do the cheat coes work?
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 02, 2017, 01:41:41 pm »

It's in the cheat code documentation file  :P

Go to a liberal (any liberal) on the review liberal screen. Press 'n' to get a new name. Type "Cheat Legislate Superhumans +" or  "Cheat Legislate Superhumans -" (the former will make the law more liberal, while the latter will make it more conservative). repeat as necessary.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2017, 10:13:58 am »

Update: version 1.1 is almost ready, but I am fighting to kill a few bugs before the release. It is playable.

This new version includes:
-It is now possible for sleepers to get married as an action. This requires loveslave slots and otherwise is similar to recruitment via seduction for active liberals.
-Added "wild west" as a type of execution with appropriate types (hanging, high noon shootout, tying to railroad tracks, etc.)
-And, most important of all, movies!

Movies can be inspired by activity by the LCS (and other organizations). Movies when released affect public opinion. Right now there is no way to alter the effect of a movie once the movie is inspired. This will be included in future updates, however; I just haven't gotten to it yet.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »

Looking forward to bug fixes and the windows compile. Also movies. What liberal doesn't like movies?

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2017, 04:53:13 pm »

Looking forward to bug fixes and the windows compile. Also movies. What liberal doesn't like movies?

There's gonna be a windows compiled version? Cool!

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:04 pm »

Eagerly awaiting the next release!

...does busting into a place and converting people with guitars shift the issues any?  It should.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2017, 12:25:33 pm »

Some stuff I noticed about the 1.04 version for Windows:

Game still crashes when seeing Vivian Pines in her house
If you get accosted by gangsters or vigilantes while doing athletic activism, hitting the "fight" option crashes the game
Athletic activism trains dodge extremely slowly (+0.01 to Dodge per day)
Front door guards at the Don's mansion let me in, but not the ones outside his office or safe
Terra Vitae safehouses never become available to me, even after I keep shooting up the Wilderness and Injun Reservation

Also, special attacks like talking(Radio Personalities, Cable News Anchors, CEOs, etc do this) and music(Guitar + 10 skill in Music) should give juice if they don't already. Maybe drain juice from the target and then transfer it to the one doing the attack?

There should also be a way to get rid of unwanted, damaged, and bloody clothes. After going on a rampage, my Liberals end up with tons of common, useless clothing that is damaged and covered in blood (Ex. wife beaters, bunker gear, cheap suits, black leather). Maybe donating the clothes to a charity or something, or just throwing them in the trash?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:40:08 pm by Taberone »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2017, 08:55:19 pm »

Having a hard time finding a bug, but stay tuned.

Game still crashes when seeing Vivian Pines in her house
-I do not have a problem with Vivian Pines' house. I don't know if this is because I fixed a previous bug or if it's something with the port.
If you get accosted by gangsters or vigilantes while doing athletic activism, hitting the "fight" option crashes the game
-I haven't tested this, but I will.
Athletic activism trains dodge extremely slowly (+0.01 to Dodge per day)
-This is true. It was initially deliberate, although I will consider increasing it.
Front door guards at the Don's mansion let me in, but not the ones outside his office or safe
-I will look into this.
Terra Vitae safehouses never become available to me, even after I keep shooting up the Wilderness and Injun Reservation
-And this, although you're supposed to get access to Terra Vitae by recruiting the TV leader.

There should also be a way to get rid of unwanted, damaged, and bloody clothes. After going on a rampage, my Liberals end up with tons of common, useless clothing that is damaged and covered in blood (Ex. wife beaters, bunker gear, cheap suits, black leather). Maybe donating the clothes to a charity or something, or just throwing them in the trash?
Those things are salable, aren't they?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:04:57 pm by SlatersQuest »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2017, 12:26:01 am »

The unmodded LCS won't let you sell damaged or bloody clothing. I don't think that's changed either in Terra Vitae mod, but I haven't checked yet.

Is it me, or does Terra Vitae not have the "Vehicle dodging" mechanic that actually makes car chases survivable if you can't escape within the first turn? Got into a car chase today when the CCS chased after me for shooting up a Judge Hall, and nobody was dodging the bullets with their vehicles. Not even the CCS, who presumably had more skilled drivers than my Liberals

Sadly, no - that feature was added to vanilla LCS after TV was developed. We really need to re-sync the mod with the core game. Maybe we should embark on that this coming week?

Extremely late reply, but I have no experience with coding for LCS beyond editing a bunch of stuff in the XML files. You'll have to ask Kamal-Sadek for that or something.

dhthwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2017, 07:59:38 am »

The "else if" clauses aren't going to break it, and it makes sense to keep them. It must be something else, perhaps that other problem causing the compilation to fail.
It shouldn't break it, but it does.  Visual Studio 2015 has a limit of something like 128 elements in an if else chain, which is just enough to allow the vanilla game, but just insufficient for terra vitae.  It's arbitrary and weird, and it does make sense to keep them (a switch statement would be better, but C++ doesn't allow switches on string constants), but Visual Studio 2015 won't let it compile, even though the compiler SlatersQuest uses can compile it just fine.  This is what happens with thirty year old programming languages.

Note that, while the
if() return
if() return
method is equivalent, it is also more fragile.

Thanks I didn't know that! probably because I would never write it that way. It ought to be worked around then, something like this would probably be better:

Code: [Select]

std::map<std::string, int> cr {
        {"CREATURE_BOUNCER", CREATURE_BOUNCER},
        {"CREATURE_SECURITYGUARD", CREATURE_SECURITYGUARD},
        {"CREATURE_SCIENTIST_LABTECH", CREATURE_SCIENTIST_LABTECH},
        {"CREATURE_SCIENTIST_EMINENT", CREATURE_SCIENTIST_EMINENT},
        {"CREATURE_CORPORATE_MANAGER", CREATURE_CORPORATE_MANAGER},
        {"CREATURE_CORPORATE_CEO", CREATURE_CORPORATE_CEO}
};

std::string foo = "CREATURE_SECURITYGUARD";
auto it = cr.find(foo);
if (it == cr.end()) {
        std::cout << "oh noes, can't find: " << foo << std::endl;
} else {
std::cout << it->second << std::endl;
}

An example for Slater. I wouldn't worry about performance and compilers are pretty clever with their optimizations. Also it has the benefit of not repeating yourself, less error prone and easier to maintain.

Oh yea, after having looked at the problematic file in question, there is definitely some code smell going on. That much use of branching for that purpose is straight up evil and abusive (did Toady write that?).  There's quite a few of them, since I'm lazy I would probably write a program with perl or something to fix it myself.

FWIW, "if" and "else if" aren't equivalent. "if" can hurt clarity, as it tells the reader and the compiler that each condition is unrelated to the others. "if" also doesn't take advantage of branch prediction which CPUs are really good at. With branch prediction from "if else" the CPU can jump straight to the correct "if else" before executing any "if else's" above it. With "if" the CPU has to execute each "if" statement in order before it finds a match.  Now I did say one shouldn't worry about performance, but writing clear, tidy code is plain common sense and that typically helps the reader and automatically tends to keep things speedy since it also helps the compiler do its job.

Where it's just a few "if else's" in that file, that's no big deal, but some of those functions have a lot of wicked branching where they should be making use of a data structure like std::map for that kind of data.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:45:26 am by dhthwy »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »

-I will look into this.

Nevermind about this. Tried again with the Don's mansion and I got let in.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:03:00 pm by Taberone »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »

Code: [Select]

std::map<std::string, int> cr {
        {"CREATURE_BOUNCER", CREATURE_BOUNCER},
        {"CREATURE_SECURITYGUARD", CREATURE_SECURITYGUARD},
        {"CREATURE_SCIENTIST_LABTECH", CREATURE_SCIENTIST_LABTECH},
        {"CREATURE_SCIENTIST_EMINENT", CREATURE_SCIENTIST_EMINENT},
        {"CREATURE_CORPORATE_MANAGER", CREATURE_CORPORATE_MANAGER},
        {"CREATURE_CORPORATE_CEO", CREATURE_CORPORATE_CEO}
};

std::string foo = "CREATURE_SECURITYGUARD";
auto it = cr.find(foo);
if (it == cr.end()) {
        std::cout << "oh noes, can't find: " << foo << std::endl;
} else {
std::cout << it->second << std::endl;
}

A map.  Now that's a solution worth trying.
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57