Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 315775 times)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 1.4 released!)
« Reply #615 on: April 07, 2018, 12:06:57 am »

I've confirmed that it is fread() that is causing the crash, not factionlist[f]. I can strcpy stuff into factionlist[f]->{element} without causing anything.

Does anybody know enough Curses to solve this or do I just have to scrub this feature?

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #616 on: April 07, 2018, 01:45:44 pm »

I've confirmed that it is fread() that is causing the crash, not factionlist[f]. I can strcpy stuff into factionlist[f]->{element} without causing anything.

Does anybody know enough Curses to solve this or do I just have to scrub this feature?
(quick note: fread() isn't part of Curses, it's part of the standard C library, but yeah.)

I'm short of time at the moment, but I think it has to do with
Code: [Select]
         int factionmembers = factionlist[f]->Members.size();
         fwrite(&factionmembers, sizeof(int), 1, h);
         for (int m = 0; m < factionmembers; m++)
         {
            fwrite(&factionlist[f]->Members[m]->Name, sizeof(char), CREATURE_NAMELEN, h);
            fwrite(&factionlist[f]->Members[m]->gender, sizeof(int), 1, h);
            fwrite(&factionlist[f]->Members[m]->competence, sizeof(int), 1, h);
            fwrite(&factionlist[f]->Members[m]->stylemoviegenre, sizeof(int), 1, h);
         }
If you remove support for members, I think it will work, or at least not crash.  Comment out that part of the code. (both the fread and fwrite portions)
If the game runs without crashing,
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 07, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »

Yes, that did work. I do not understand why. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I do want members. Is there a way to put them back in?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 07, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »

Found the problem: I hadn't defined the new member class. I am not familiar with object-oriented code!  :D

Hertz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 08, 2018, 02:19:10 am »

So is the link in the front page the latest version of the mod?

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 08, 2018, 11:19:35 am »

I tried to fire up the mod but was spammed with three movies I could care less about in character generation, instantly turning me off from it.  The only way to turn them off is to, every single time you load the game up, enter a cheat code.  I understand that the maker loves these movies but I am among the group that dislikes them.  I'm just venting here to make me feel better at my thoughts being heard, but please do add an OPTION to disable them instead of a cheat if at all possible.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 08, 2018, 01:44:09 pm »

So is the link in the front page the latest version of the mod?

It is the most recent release, but the new version I am working on is updated and improved in a number of ways.

I tried to fire up the mod but was spammed with three movies I could care less about in character generation, instantly turning me off from it.  The only way to turn them off is to, every single time you load the game up, enter a cheat code.  I understand that the maker loves these movies but I am among the group that dislikes them.  I'm just venting here to make me feel better at my thoughts being heard, but please do add an OPTION to disable them instead of a cheat if at all possible.

You know, the way you're describing it, just a couple of keystrokes and you'd be through them, especially in the new version which will have many fewer movies to begin with. You sound like you're going to be annoyed with the messages that the conservatives are about to besiege you, or the news stories that affect public opinion that are already in the base game. I don't feel like it's possible to please you, and all you are doing is complaining, and it's sapping my motivation to add a separate save feature just for you.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 09, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »

Bah, sorry man, was salty over wasting a lot of time trying to do something.  Can you believe that message is AFTER I filtered out most of it?  You keep doin' good work and if you ever DO add a "stop the movies" button I'll play your mod.  But I can understand if that's not your priority.  I CAN say maybe at LEAST start by toning down chargen movies, my buddy said he got ten while making a character and I'm probably just the only one who was dumb enough to vent like that, heh.  Keep on keepin' on.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 09, 2018, 08:06:59 pm »

I CAN say maybe at LEAST start by toning down chargen movies, my buddy said he got ten while making a character...

That's already been done.  :P

Keep in mind: you're playing the 1.4x version. I am still working on the 1.5 version, which greatly reduces the number of movies in the game. You'll still get one or two in character creation (probably), but if you do get ten, then the most likely reason is that your computer's random number generation is buggy. The odds of that happening should be about one in a billion.

(Also note that statisticians have noticed that the rand() function in MS Excel on Windows is not a very good RNG, but the rand() function in MS Excel on Mac is at least somewhat better. Both functions use the computer's internal RNG. I use a Mac, code on a Mac, and playtest on a Mac. Because of this it's possible that the Windows port of this game has some issues like this caused by the OS it is being run on. I can't fix the Windows RNG, unfortunately.)

Hertz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 10, 2018, 02:43:15 am »

Funnily enough, i found the office for the lead office, in the church room with the safe. However you cannot do anything in that square.

Also the some of the classes in the university (Computer Science for one) dont work. They dont take money and they dont give skills
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:17:46 am by Hertz »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 10, 2018, 07:47:16 am »

Also the some of the classes in the university (Computer Science for one) dont work. They dont take money and they dont give skills

Bug found and fixed.

I believe I already fixed the other one, too.

Hertz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 13, 2018, 04:57:02 pm »

Out of curiostiy, what is the recommended persuasion skill to recruit the TV founder? And do you intend to add augments to this game as well?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 13, 2018, 09:00:53 pm »

Out of curiostiy, what is the recommended persuasion skill to recruit the TV founder?

Persuasion is going to be hard - s/he's a high-juice conservative. Recruiting him/her via Persuasion is going to be about as hard as recruiting an Agent. Seduction skill around 10 plus vacations is pretty reliable, though.

And do you intend to add augments to this game as well?

I would like to, but haven't been able to because I haven't had time to refresh what the current base LCS consists of so that I can synch up with it. IsaacG and I tried a couple months ago, but ran into trouble regarding externalizing the save file system to text, and I wanted to add new features (namely, factions, which are mostly implemented, but still need to be playtested). So, ultimately, the answer is "probably, but there are some problems that will need to be solved first, and are still other things higher on the priority list."

moderate guardian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 17, 2018, 04:50:45 am »

I am a long time player of LCS and I can say for certain the greatest thing that appealed to me about it is that you can always play legally and nonviolently and still were able to win albeit maybe in the year 2022 after the future tech names kick in.
An improvement would be to add a realism options menu before the currently character choice menu to make the game something between a civil rights protest on one side with strong legal enforcement and martyrdom bonuses and not instant game overs to give a more peaceful and easier experience to teach the value of the greatest liberal ability patience while having settings to allow playthroughs that are more similar to a Hollywood movie to give some nuance before forcing everyone to play the nightmare mode game for a harder game. The inclusion of the White House as being an being the place where protests should take place peacefully and where Congress and the Supreme Court operate in game.

TLDR
Thanks a lot SlatersQuest for continuing to develop this ridiculous game that has been famously monstrous to compile.
I have been quite impressed with how easy it is to play on OSX albeit with the occasional game corruption where I have to recompile.
Stability has been good lately, less game breaking crashes except for a few random game overs from the dang old Reagon-ization you tricky ;) conservatives adding a much need boost to the difficulty of nightmare mode.
I am still working on the 1.5 version
I am glad you still have enough time and patience to develop this old game. I hope it isn't driving you mad.
I am looking forward to your bug fixes  8)

Hertz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 17, 2018, 06:04:12 am »

Another Bug report, Each time i end up fighting superpowered minions i supervillain sieges and attacks, the game crashes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:31:28 am by Hertz »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 57