Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 315803 times)

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 1.49 released!)
« Reply #705 on: October 21, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

Still experiencing a crash right when you can put a nickname in.

What is your name to the People?
Press enter to be known by your real name instead.

Segmentation fault: 11
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...159 completed.

[Process completed]

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 22, 2018, 02:18:48 pm »

I am unable to replicate this bug. Is it regular? Does it depend on the options you choose for your founder?

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 22, 2018, 04:36:34 pm »

I am unable to replicate this bug. Is it regular? Does it depend on the options you choose for your founder?

Mac OSX, it happens every time I launch the game from the /src folder regardless of options/names I choose. I get the same problem even if I try to compile it myself.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 23, 2018, 06:12:41 pm »

Mac OSX, it happens every time I launch the game from the /src folder regardless of options/names I choose. I get the same problem even if I try to compile it myself.

Seeing as I've developed the game on Mac OSX and have never been subject to this bug, I suspect that the problem is probably on your end. Possibilities I can think of are: (1) you didn't configure the game correctly, using the instructions that came with it; (2) your compiler isn't configured or installed correctly and so is unable to run it; (3) you don't have permission to access the folder where the input/output is generated.

I think (3) is most likely, given that you're able to run the game at all - it's trying to save, can't do it, and is crashing as a result. Can you look through your computer and see if you can find a .lcs directory in your home directory (or wherever it would be writing to)?

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 27, 2018, 06:45:11 pm »

I have an .lcs in my home, it contains these files:

gamelog.txt
TVRecord.txt
xmllog

Only tvrecord.txt contains anything, the other two are blank.

I'm not sure what you mean by "instructions" because I haven't noticed anything besides the old readmes. Is there one you added that I'm missing?

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 27, 2018, 07:05:55 pm »

Holy shit you pointing out what the likely problem gave me enough to figure it out. It's one of three things. For some reason, when I went into the terminal I couldn't cd into ./lcs from my home directory until after I did that few few times. Dunno what that was about. The more likely one of the two was that instead of just launching it from finder, I launched it from the terminal and two things were different this time. First, I sudo launched it, and I was instantly prompted to make a savefile name. Not sure if simple executing it from terminal or sudo executing it was what actually worked, but finally!

Before this I also double checked the permissions on .lcs and gave every user read and write but I don't think that did anything since it crashed right after.

I was thinking the whole time it was a compiling issue and actually had done that right, thanks for figuring out what the actual problem was, that was all I needed to figure out the rest.

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 27, 2018, 09:32:05 pm »

Welp, nevermind it just gets weirder. Turns out by typing "crimesquad" I was launching the version of LCS I downloaded using git that actually worked. Still running into the same issue- I'm not being prompted to make a savefile at the start of TV, and then hitting the seg fault.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 28, 2018, 08:04:01 am »

All right, I think that answers the question: you're somehow playing with multiple versions of LCS and TV is looking for a save file in the wrong place and not finding it. The file name should be saveTV1.5.dat.

Unfortunately I don't have the foggiest idea of how you got into this situation. Launching crimesquad from finder has never worked for me - I have always used terminal.

There is a section in the file LINUX_README.txt in the src/ directory labeled as "Build notes for Mac OS X". Did you follow those at any point? It's possible that it's failing because you don't have input-output libraries installed.

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 28, 2018, 09:04:58 am »

To the best of my knowledge, I've tried repeating the steps to compile.

I re-complied it again, and I figured out where the crime squad executable was hiding (in /usr/) and tried replacing it with tv.

Deleting the .lcs folder will cause it to be re-created every time I launch tv, but still will skip the creating a file part.

I've verified that I have the correct command line tools to build too and it is to compile just fine otherwise.

All I'm doing is:
cd /filepath

./bootstrap

LIBS="/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib" ./configure

make

Is there something else I should do instead of the   svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/lcsgame/code/trunk lcsgame step?

If I run crimesquad in any location now it launches, tv but with the same no savefile prompt issue.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:07:59 am by tykavanaugh »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 28, 2018, 05:37:34 pm »

The crimesquad executable is hiding in /usr/? It should be in src/.

The TV mod is based on an older version of LCS that did not have a save file prompt - it simply loads the save. Does it still crash (once you've put the executable in the proper place)?

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 28, 2018, 06:15:46 pm »

Yup, ran it out of terminal this time. Same result. Thanks for helping me out with this though.

Is there a way for me to look at the code or direct where it checks for a save file? At least now I know that I complied it correctly.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 28, 2018, 07:26:47 pm »

All of the source code is included in the .zip download within the src/ directory.

The command that loads the game from save is on line 506 of game.cpp, which calls the load() function, which debuts on line 504 of title/saveload.cpp.

load() in turn calls LCSOpenFile() on line 514 of title/saveload.cpp. LCSOpenFile() begins on line 110 of lcsio.cpp.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 30, 2018, 04:51:16 am »

First question : how is the chance to find a "Secret mission" calculated ? Does it train any skills ? 

Not directly related to Terra Vitae, but what is the best way to raise the Rifle skill without generating too much heat and not risking your agents' lives ? There's training but it's slow and expensive ...

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 30, 2018, 07:06:16 pm »

Not too sure about the first.

As for the second question, the only heat-proof method I know is to provoke a non-police affiliated organization into attacking one of your bases. This even includes Firement at C+ free speech laws. Unique to this mod, you could do the same by camping out at the wilderness and defend it from conservative threats, and without provoking anyone to boot. Note that while this type of training is significantly faster, less expensive, and can build up juice, it does require significant investment in armor beforehand. Furthermore, aside for guitars, there's no real quick, heatproof, and (above all) safe way of actually training weapon skills. You'll get far more quicker results by simply hiring trained individuals.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:08 pm »

Finding a secret mission is dependent on science, religion, and computers. Note that even people who have none of these skills can participate, though, because each secret mission has its own skill, as well.

There is one more way to train up combat skills: awaken the CCS, and then attack them without taking them out. This is also heat-free.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57