Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 315836 times)

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 1.6 released!)
« Reply #795 on: March 08, 2020, 08:31:45 pm »

Keybindings would be nice for the next release, aiming at legs set to 'b' results in a lot of accidental attacks.

Also, any chance of getting this on Github?

Edit: A LOT of accidental attacks. I knew something put me off, this is my third time trying out the mod in just a year. No idea how many times in all I've returned, made this "discovery" and rage quit. :P

You can aim at the legs in Terra Vitae mod?

Fungus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 09, 2020, 10:20:19 am »

Hehehe   :D Well, when wandering about and talking to folks (especially when training seduction, but any conversations, really) I always default to 'b' to talk to the second person, then 'a' if the second person isn't removed. I use 'b' to skip through the text (any input achieves this, but as my finger is positioned on 'b' and it's ingrained by now I just use that) and always end up over shooting. This doesn't matter in vanilla LCS,  but in TV it causes the recruit to attack.

I don't think it was wise to map the selection keys to a-f in the first place, it's inconvenient and cumbersome, but also it can lead to erroneous user input like this. Personally, I'd have all menu selection via number keys, and have squad member selection mapped to '!' through '^' (shift + number).

If not a keybindings menu, how about adding just this to the config file? It should be relatively simple, depending on the code base. I could probably do that and send a PR if it were on Github...  ;D Regarding that, Github is actually pretty simple to use, once you get your head around it. You don't have to use Git BASH, which is what I assume you've been trying to do? I struggle with that as I'm on Windows and haven't any experience with UNIX. BASH takes UNIX-style input, so to execute "crimesquad.exe" you would either navigate and execute with: '/c/LCS/crimesquad.exe' (including commas) from anywhere on the system, or run BASH in the folder and execute: ./crimesquad . Note the forward slash and lack of exe. It's _really_ confusing if you're used to DOS.

However, you can get away without all that (for the most part) by using Github desktop. It's really convenient once you get the hang of the nuances. You don't even need to use that, you can download and upload directly from your browser. Personally, I just use desktop and BASH. If you're willing to download desktop you can create a repository from the 'file' menu, add your code to the folder, commit the changes  locally, then publish the branch (or push the changes if GitHub already has your repo).

It takes some getting used to, definitely, but once you get the hang of it (I guarantee you'll make a complete mess of your first repo/branch :p) you'll find out just how powerful and useful it is! For instance, you can have multiple branches locally, all in the same folder. This means you can work on different aspects of a program separately without having to clone your whole code base. You can backup everything to the cloud and make changes there, which means you can theoretically code anywhere you have internet access. You have a history of all the changes made to your project, so if you ever screw everything up completely or lose it in some way you have a backup. I could go on...

GitHub tutorial: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/
Quickstart guide: https://help.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/quickstart
Setting up a new repo: https://help.github.com/en/github/creating-cloning-and-archiving-repositories
Useful stuff about Git: https://help.github.com/en/github/using-git

Also, Taberone, yeah! Check it out! You can aim elsewhere, too. IIRC it's the head. When on site it's at the bottom of the action box, below "N - Options".

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 10, 2020, 11:02:05 am »

All of the keys are hardcoded, and changing that will require a great deal of additional work and probable bugs. I can do it, but it won't be quick.

As for Github...

What is Git BASH? How do you use it?
What is a Github desktop?
What's a branch?
What is repo?

Like I said, I might as well be computer illiterate when it comes to Github.

Fungus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 10, 2020, 03:49:20 pm »

Erk... I thought you'd given it a go for some reason. I'll start from the top.

First of all, Git is a version control system. If you're not familiar with these they're basically like having an accounts ledger, except instead of accounts, it's a ledger full of all the changes made to your code. You can go back and look at code at any given point in time, which can be incredibly useful. Different styles of version control exist, of course, but Git lends itself to a decentralized workspace. With Git, everybody working on a project has a copy of the ledger, and at any point you can revert your code to a different version easily, or compare different versions to see what's changed.

A repository contains all past and present code, plus all the notes that go along with them. Let's say I have a repository called "Hello World" with a file called "main.cpp". "Hello World" currently has no code, but then I write something in "main.cpp" then 'commit' my change to the repository. That 'commit' will update the repository such that "main.cpp" has the code I've written, plus a log of the change. If I then 'commit' a new change where I refactor the code there will be a new account describing what code was added and what was removed. If you view "main.cpp" in the repository you'll just see the new, refactored code, but you can go back over all the previous versions and see how it's changed over time.

A branch can be a bit deceptive. If we tried to use a tree metaphor we'd end up getting really confused, so it's best to think of a branch as more of an "alternate dimension". A repository, in this sense, would be a multiverse, containing all possible worlds. Each 'branch' is a universe which branches from our repository. The central branch, aka the 'master' or 'origin' branch, would be the world we occupy, while each new branch is a path our origin can take. We build a branch from the origin, change the code, then we merge our branch with the origin such that they both contain the same code.

GitHub gives us a platform to manage our repository. Your local copy is uploaded to the cloud, where every contributor can 'fork' the repo, copying it, essentially. They'll keep this up to date themselves by regularly merging changes from the original, and send the changes they make back through a 'pull request' to your repository. Pull requests are a commit that's waiting to happen, which allows the code maintainers to vet changes before they're introduced. Let's say you write a header for "Hello World" and place it in a new branch in your copy of the repository called "new-header". When you've finished writing this header you then make a 'pull request' of the origin, or commit to it directly if you have the right to. Now, the master branch has a new commit (new code) and all forks will be able to synchronize the changes to their master branch locally.

GitHub Desktop provides a GUI that interfaces with GitHub.com and provides common Git commands so you can make pull requests (PRs), commits, branches and repositories easily, switch between branches, compare revisions or branches or even different bases. For example, say Bob is working on a "gui.cpp" in his branch "hello-gui" but was also tinkering with his own "main.h" in "main-header-test". He could sync "hello-gui" easily, but "main-header-test" would throw a warning about conflicts that would need to be resolved. GitHub Desktop can do this automatically (I would never trust this, personally) but it also provides a merged text file with markers to show where the conflicts are and what the changes comprise. You can also merge changes across branches under different users' repositories, or from PRs to the main branch or any other branch you choose. You can rebase a branch to any earlier version; for example, you may rebase a branch of master called "last-week" that reverts all the commits since seven days ago, or a year ago, and compare this to the current master to see the changes. you could compare the changes in one PR which changes a thousand lines of code to another PR of a thousand with some overlap. Using the website you can directly browse the repo at any given point in time based on a particular commit and view full file histories in a convenient format. It's probably doable with Git BASH and GitHub Desktop, but the website is very convenient so I've not bothered looking into it.

Finally, Git BASH is an emulator of BASH, a UNIX/LINUX... thing. I know as much about that stuff as you did about GitHub.  :P I'd call it an alternative console because you can use it to run Git from the command line. Git is a UNIX tool, so I guess it makes sense. I just google what I need when I need it and muddle through. Theoretically you can do everything you can do in GitHub Desktop and GitHub.com plus a whole host more through BASH, but if you don't speak UNIX you can end up seriously confused.

Whew. I hope that answers some questions and helps a little!

Edit:

Taken a look over the source with a view to modifying LCS to accept key configuration. It's frightening. Forget I asked. :o
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:18:34 am by Fungus »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 12, 2020, 05:26:17 pm »

Uh-huh, so if I get it right, GitHub is where you upload how many files at a time, and deposit them how? The advantage of the way TV Mod is currently distributed is that you can download a single zip file and unzip it, and all of the necessary files for compilation are already in the proper places. You don't have to reconstruct the files every time you download it. This is the problem that I've always had when trying to use GitHub - not only have I not known what a branch or a fork is or which one to use, but I've had no idea what to do with the files I downloaded.

A lot of the terms you're using are still mysterious to me, though. I'm used to programming on a computer, and then sharing the code as a block.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 12, 2020, 08:59:10 pm »

If the repository hosted on GitHub i.e. "archive" is properly structured, the checkout process should put all of the necessary files in their proper places.  (This is true for any source code control system; nothing unusual about git here.  What's unusual about git is that it is the one source code control system with multiple non-ideological remote hosting providers.)

Fungus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 12, 2020, 10:47:31 pm »

You upload as many as you like and download them all at once. There's a button to download the code in a zip if you wish, or you can download it via GitHub Desktop, or some other ways. You can also just copy and paste from the individual files if you're a masochist.  :D If you have all your code in one folder then you can copy it all straight to GitHub by selecting said folder. It doesn't change anything, doesn't format, it just uploads. The place it uploads to is your repository. I guess, theoretically, you could whack all your projects in one repository, but it would become a mess. It would be like having all of LCS, DF and any other game's code in main.cpp.

You can think of it as being like an external drive for your computer, if that helps, which you share with others. It warns you when files you're working on have changed so you don't overwrite the changes others have made.

To extend the metaphor, a fork would be a copy of the external drive, and a branch would be a different version of the files on it. You have at least two branches, if you're being diligent - your current version and the next in development. You might keep branches for all versions you release. You might have branches for different things you're working on independently (this is a good idea). When you fork, you're copying all of the code and its' history. When you branch, you're making changes to the code in a separate space.

Considering you use VS pretty much any project you get on GitHub should compile just fine if you make a project for it, the only issues would be making sure you have the libraries needed and that VS knows where to find them and the headers. If there's anything special they require then it should be in the documentation.

Git isn't that complicated once you get used to it, and it's fairly resilient. It took me a while to brave it but getting it up and running doesn't really take that much, and you can pretty much learn by trial and error. Fixing mistaken commits is incredibly annoying until you're used to it, and cleaning up the evidence is even harder.  :P It's incredibly convenient though, and makes working on code with other people a breeze.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 02, 2020, 09:48:53 am »

Terra Vitae! Any news on 2.0?

dungjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 05, 2020, 04:16:21 am »

Well, that's cause Slater hasn't actually released the latest version yet.  :P

My apologies then, and thank you Slater for your work in this mod, I really enjoy it!  :D

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 07, 2020, 10:39:52 am »

Just busy - need to find the time to fix the bugs that I've been alerted to.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 09, 2020, 10:22:18 pm »

All right, almost ready; chasing bugs.

I found and fixed the bug that causes initlocation to print an error message.

I am still unable to replicate the ammo loading bug. It works fine for me.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 24, 2020, 12:15:59 am »

I recently started playing this mod and I have a question? What makes people wanted for Sexual Treason? I am recruiting liberal judges and a decent chunk of them are wanted for it. I also had one of my judges accused of it a few days after I recruited them. Does anyone have an idea on how I can mitigate this?

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #807 on: April 24, 2020, 09:50:18 pm »

I recently started playing this mod and I have a question? What makes people wanted for Sexual Treason? I am recruiting liberal judges and a decent chunk of them are wanted for it. I also had one of my judges accused of it a few days after I recruited them. Does anyone have an idea on how I can mitigate this?
IIRC Sexual Treason refers to those who romance outside their social class.  Mostly only applies to high-ranking members, like Judges.
I think it also includes homosexuality.

No idea how to mitigate it, though.
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 25, 2020, 06:18:57 pm »

It has to do with having attributes that are high enough to make you a desired mate in the eyes of society (10 intelligence or 10 health can do this).

If you manage to have your affair in secret, then you won't be dinged for it. I don't recall how I coded the secrecy, but it's in there.

Also, having Sexual Freedom laws being anything other than C+ will exonerate anyone and everyone of sexual treason charges.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 25, 2020, 06:21:12 pm »

What kinda of punishment can I expect if they get arrested for that?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57