Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Orc Fortress (prelude)  (Read 4171 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Orc Fortress (prelude)
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:04:43 am »

I really want to play Orc Fortress again, but I want to do that after I've fixed some balance issues. I like my games hard, so I'm looking at doing the following:

• Minimal resources embark, similar to Gildrounded, except with orcs, and some basic equipment appropriate to orcs displaced from their homelands (armour, weapons, picks, but no food or drink).
  • No farming. It's not the orcish way.
  • Traps shall be greatly shunned. Enemies shall be met in glorious combat.
  • Unified released of Studded with Patches used as the embark.

Most importantly, this will be a playtest of any balance changes I make.

So, why am I telling you this? Well, if you wish to be 'Orced', here's the place to request it. A couple of the starting seven are already taken (notably for the Warchief, Tribe Leader, and possibly Shaman), but I'm sure we'll see plenty of orcs in the camp if things go well. While you can state preferences for what sort of orc you'll get, I can't make promises.

Likewise, if you want to suggest any particular playstyles I should adopt, or if you want to give feedback in the rebalance thread, I'm delighted to hear them. I'm intending for all citizens to be involved in military service in some way, for there to be large tombs decorated with totems of our enemies, and for a more tribal-like arrangement of buildings (the typical orc will have workshops in the same dwelling where they live, and these workshops will only be used by the orc who lives there).

Named orcs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~ T
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:10:43 am by Urist McTeellox »

Theosophocles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Orc Fortress (prelude)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:34:06 am »

Sounds great. I've been thinking the same thing about wanting an orc fortress focussing on glorious combat, and eschewing cowardly traps.
Requesting to be orced as Theog Windwhistler (or perhaps just Theog if needed). Professions wise someone focussed on hunting?

Style-wise I've a few ideas. For food farming definitely seems out but a herd of pigs or similar sounds reasonable.
If you want to try and get everyone involved in the military it would be cool to have everyone set aside there civilian tools and train or workout for 1 month each year, on some form of rotational basis. Obviously easier to do when you have more orcs to pick up the slack.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:51:20 am »

Sounds great. I've been thinking the same thing about wanting an orc fortress focussing on glorious combat, and eschewing cowardly traps.
Requesting to be orced as Theog Windwhistler (or perhaps just Theog if needed). Professions wise someone focussed on hunting?

Hunting we can definitely do, although you can having raiding if you prefer. :) Part of the rebalance includes a "raid farmlands for food" reaction, which may well get employed as soon as the raider's dock is up.

If you want to try and get everyone involved in the military it would be cool to have everyone set aside there civilian tools and train or workout for 1 month each year, on some form of rotational basis. Obviously easier to do when you have more orcs to pick up the slack.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do. A lot of orcs will be in the military full-time, but even the artisans will be occasionally training, to keep their skills fresh. (And also because if I can give everyone uniforms then I don't have to worry about rotten clothing.)

~ T

Sage Ethereal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:12:22 am »

Might as well throw Sage into the pool of names! I have personally never played as orc, or even seen any LPs of orc-mode, so I will be looking forward to this.

Good luck!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:48:34 am »

Will you build above ground? Or dig in?
If it is above ground i would love to take some construction worker, so mason if you want to build out of stone :D If it is below ground i would take a miner.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:39:11 am »

Sage ad Mahrgell, you're both on my list. :)

Will you build above ground? Or dig in?

That's a great question! In the rebalanced orcs, many buildings must be above-ground, including the larger dreamwalker shrines (altar of storms, etc), and the raiders' dock. I would love to do a lot of overground structures, but with DF as it currently is, this takes a *lot* of effort and haulers.

However to try and simulate a village plan but with not quite so much pain, I'm hoping to dig individual abodes for orcs:

Code: [Select]
Side view:  (X - stairwell, _ - floor, # - rock)

____ ____  <-- Surface
##__X__##
##__X__##  <-- Multi-layer abode with space for workshop, stockpile, and living quarters, and trophy room
##__X__##
####X####
####X____ <-- Lower access-way allows underground connections

Important buildings, training areas, and the like will be on the surface. Some dedicated military orcs may live full-time in their assigned barracks, but they'll still have a designated trophy room somewhere to track their kills. :)

Things may get a little crowded as the population grows; we'll see what happens!

~ T

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:55:27 am »

Orc me boyo! It don't rightly care what job ya give me, so long as I get some delicious screentime.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »

Orc me boyo! It don't rightly care what job ya give me, so long as I get some delicious screentime.

MoseyThePirate. Gosh, I wonder if you'd make a good corsair? ;)

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:39:52 pm »

I'm interested in seeing how this goes, my orc fort fell when my meeting hall was flooded with magma (I wanted to make a glass dome around it so there would be a magma ceiling, but my orcs had suspended construction of a block) (also I had apparently locked the doors for some reason) (I am not a clever person)

I'd be interested in being Orc'd as a military orc, for purposes of WAAAAAAGGHH n such
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

I'm interested in seeing how this goes, my orc fort fell when my meeting hall was flooded with magma (I wanted to make a glass dome around it so there would be a magma ceiling, but my orcs had suspended construction of a block) (also I had apparently locked the doors for some reason) (I am not a clever person)

Oh my! Although that does remind me that orcs would be better off stealing magmalings/waterlings from the dwarves, since they're way more convenient than the fluidcaster.

I'd be interested in being Orc'd as a military orc, for purposes of WAAAAAAGGHH n such

Excellent! You're on the list. :)

~ T

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 04:26:06 pm »

Oh my yes, I will sign up for this. Orc me as Talth if you would, Soldier of some kind would be fun !FUN! but really I'm fine with whatever suits your Fort the most.

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 05:06:51 pm »

gief warchief

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 12:51:51 am »

Oh my yes, I will sign up for this. Orc me as Talth if you would, Soldier of some kind would be fun !FUN! but really I'm fine with whatever suits your Fort the most.

You're  on my list! :)

Quote from: Vabalokis
gief warchief

Er? You want an orc named 'Gief', and you'd like them to be Warchief? I'm afraid that position is currently reserved, but I can certainly have you in the military. :)

~ T

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 01:37:21 am »

well then military orc will do
Pages: [1] 2