Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: A new version?  (Read 9650 times)

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A new version?
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:54 pm »

Ok, I know that there are lots of those questions out there, but it's been over a year and a few months since the last release. I have learned adventure mode and I am looking forward to learning DF mode, but it seems too hard. And, if I would begin now, I fear that things will change and that I will have to start all over again with the new version.

This game requires a lot to learn! (I learned Adv from the quickstart guide, but I don't think a quickstart guide will do for DF mode; after all, I have seen tutorials of over 6 hours (in episodes) for the 2012 version).

Anyone that knows a good guide that would teach me DF mode?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: A new version?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:03:45 pm »

The wiki is your friend, but I can't really offer you anything more useful than that.

As far as waiting for the next version, current estimates peg it at late January, so you'll probably be waiting for a while.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »

Feed and booze your Dwarfs. Or not. Whatever. It's Fortress mode. Do what you want. If you understand z-levels you're 80% there.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:03:41 pm »

Ok, I know that there are lots of those questions out there, but it's been over a year and a few months since the last release. I have learned adventure mode and I am looking forward to learning DF mode, but it seems too hard. And, if I would begin now, I fear that things will change and that I will have to start all over again with the new version.

You won't.  99% of the Fortress Mode interface will be the same.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:01:22 am »

Speaking of new version, when is the next time Toady will release a new version of DF?

And I'm a fan of the DF mode so I really look forward to new updates towards that instead of adventure. I mean, so many modders are not active anymore it's kinda disappointing.

I fear that if Toady doesn't release another version of DF soon, there would be a lack of active modders to create/update tools "necessary" to play the game.

:'( :'( :'(

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:37:28 am »

Speaking of new version, when is the next time Toady will release a new version of DF?

And I'm a fan of the DF mode so I really look forward to new updates towards that instead of adventure. I mean, so many modders are not active anymore it's kinda disappointing.

I fear that if Toady doesn't release another version of DF soon, there would be a lack of active modders to create/update tools "necessary" to play the game.

Certainly not this year.
Possibly in January.
Likely in Febuary.
Almost certainly by March.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 02:45:27 pm »

Understanding Fort Mode now will be important to understanding any changes. In addition, the fort mode basics (dig lodgings, get things indoors, set up farms, build workshops, the bare bones of a fort) will likely be entirely unchanged.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 03:31:09 pm »

There will NEVER be a lack of active modders.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:51 pm »

the hell you talkin bout

also stop whinging about adventure mode

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »

Heh, yeah, all the entitled pretend-concerned whining of late is getting incredibly annoying. I actually miss it being fashionable to be angry about people who like ascii, people who like tilesets, and overpowered wolves.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »

I really hope he rounds out the game a bit by adding pie (both fruit and meat filled pot varieties) as a cooked food option and releases the next update on 14 March.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 10:36:01 pm »

Certainly not this year.
Possibly in January.
Likely in Febuary.
Almost certainly by March.
So, same deal as last year?

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 12:52:02 am »

This would be my only complaint.  The last few years have seemed to focus on Adventure mode - heck, I didnt play DF for years, and when I came back it's practically exactly the same as it was before.  If you like Fort mode, it feels like the game isn't going anywhere at all.  It would be nice to see some real focused changes/content additions instead of "these are the Adventure mode changes that may impact Fort mode."

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 01:17:53 am »

If you like Fort mode, it feels like the game isn't going anywhere at all.  It would be nice to see some real focused changes/content additions instead of "these are the Adventure mode changes that may impact Fort mode."

Taverns and sending hill dwarves out to ruin people's shit isn't really going to mean much without the world framework in the latest and upcoming release, so that's pretty much the order things will have to be done in. Besides, Adventure mode is also still noticeably bare bones and incomplete compared to the mostly entirely functional Fort mode, so it definitely needs the attention. There's also been tons of additions to fort mode in the latest releases... entirely new industries, werebeasts and vampires, evil biomes being even more so, necromancers, etc.

Besides, there is no way you have explored everything fort mode has to offer already. Conquer hell! Build a megaproject! Build a fort around beekeeping! Start wars with everyone, then unleash hell outside! Build a computer! :D

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 01:36:55 am »

After playing this for 5 years, I feel safe in saying I'm pretty sure I've seen it all :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5