Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: A new version?  (Read 9646 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: A new version?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 01:52:03 am »

And I'm a fan of the DF mode so I really look forward to new updates towards that instead of adventure. I mean, so many modders are not active anymore it's kinda disappointing.

:'( :'( :'(

This would be my only complaint.  The last few years have seemed to focus on Adventure mode - heck, I didnt play DF for years, and when I came back it's practically exactly the same as it was before.  If you like Fort mode, it feels like the game isn't going anywhere at all.  It would be nice to see some real focused changes/content additions instead of "these are the Adventure mode changes that may impact Fort mode."

10 years of constant fort mode stuff. Does that not satisfy you? Is it really so goddamn hard to accept that maybe there's more than just the one mode of the game?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 02:15:23 am »

And I'm a fan of the DF mode so I really look forward to new updates towards that instead of adventure. I mean, so many modders are not active anymore it's kinda disappointing.

:'( :'( :'(

This would be my only complaint.  The last few years have seemed to focus on Adventure mode - heck, I didnt play DF for years, and when I came back it's practically exactly the same as it was before.  If you like Fort mode, it feels like the game isn't going anywhere at all.  It would be nice to see some real focused changes/content additions instead of "these are the Adventure mode changes that may impact Fort mode."

10 years of constant fort mode stuff. Does that not satisfy you? Is it really so goddamn hard to accept that maybe there's more than just the one mode of the game?
There was at least one other year that was mostly adventure too. Possibly more before 40d, I wasn't around in those days. And much of this update isn't really directly applicable to any mode. But, Toady did say he'd be activating the world, I'm not sure why anyone thought there was going to be a lot of fort mode stuff.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »

What do you mean "no fort mode stuff"? The ability to retire forts is a HUGE change all by itsself much less multi-tile trees!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 06:34:07 pm »

After playing this for 5 years, I feel safe in saying I'm pretty sure I've seen it all :P

Then I'm sure you'll be utterly bored by the entirely new dwarven personality system. :P

But seriously, the whole point of development is to create a moving, coherent world with people can interact through forts and adventurers, and that's what's happening now. Try thinking of it less as "these are the adventure mode changes that may impact fort mode" and more as "these are the changes to the wider world which will utterly change the experience of fort mode in the future".
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 07:06:52 pm »

What do you mean "no fort mode stuff"? The ability to retire forts is a HUGE change all by itsself much less multi-tile trees!

Yeah, it pretty much makes up for the lack of fort mode only stuff, and the combat changes affect fort mode as well.

Besides, adventure mode is pretty bare bones as it is right now.

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 06:41:45 pm »

not to mention working leadership succession so when your king has a unfortunate accident involving his room being mysteriously engulf by lava, he can finally be replaced rather going on leaderless.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:12 am »

The world "living" on during gameplay + retiring Forts + armies/conflicts + new combat mechanics + multi-tile trees + other stuff.

It's all so exciting, especially if you think this is the necessary prerequisite work which is going to lead to more awesome fort mode features too (fortress mode inns/taverns, sending your armies in the world, building your own dwarven empires, etc etc etc).
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 11:58:58 am »

The world "living" on during gameplay + retiring Forts + armies/conflicts + new combat mechanics + multi-tile trees + other stuff.

It's all so exciting, especially if you think this is the necessary prerequisite work which is going to lead to more awesome fort mode features too (fortress mode inns/taverns, sending your armies in the world, building your own dwarven empires, etc etc etc).
Personalities + succession of "accidentally killed" nobles + Personality re-write + soldiers capable of fear + Pulping (which is far more important to Fort Mode) + animal populations.

All the buttons are the same, but it will be a different game. Plus fort mode stuff happens a lot during the "little" updates immediately after, such as the hauling update.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 12:25:10 pm »

Yeah, Toady One does the bugfixing phase after release, so he will certainly get to some of the fortress mode issues. Even though the release itself will bring loads of bugs on it's own and some bugs like the loyalty cascade and bugs relating to reclaim might not even exist anymore.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 07:37:28 pm »

After playing this for 5 years, I feel safe in saying I'm pretty sure I've seen it all :P
After living on Earth for slightly more than 5 years, I feel safe in saying that I'm pretty sure I've seen it all  ;D

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:43 pm »

After living on Earth for slightly more than 5 years, I feel safe in saying that I'm pretty sure I've seen it all  ;D
Wow, you are the smartest 5 year old.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »

Either that or he's just an alien. Or both, I suppose.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:34 pm »

Either that or he's just an alien. Or both, I suppose.

OR, he got turned into say a vampire or some other manner of undead at age 5 and have been unliving since then, which ooobviously doesn't count ^^

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 08:28:33 am »

Wait, so let me get this straight.

In the next update, am I to expect the following?
-Combat overhaul that affects Fort Mode as well
-New Personality system
-Multi-tile trees (what about multi-tile monsters? About time that titans and company aren't the size of a single tile)
-Taverns
-Sending dwarves into the world other than the fort
-Leadership succession

Am I right or did I get them wrong? From what I've read in Toady's development page, it seems that he's focusing a lot on Adventurer mode (A mode that I don't really use).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 08:37:39 am »

Wait, so let me get this straight.

In the next update, am I to expect the following?
-Combat overhaul that affects Fort Mode as well
-New Personality system
-Multi-tile trees (what about multi-tile monsters? About time that titans and company aren't the size of a single tile)
-Taverns
-Sending dwarves into the world other than the fort
-Leadership succession

Am I right or did I get them wrong? From what I've read in Toady's development page, it seems that he's focusing a lot on Adventurer mode (A mode that I don't really use).
You got two of them wrong. Taverns will only be places where drunks and adventurers will stand around to be recruited in adventure mode, pretty much, and we're likely still quite a while away from sending out dwarves into the world.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5