Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A new version?  (Read 9649 times)

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new version?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:41 am »

Wait, so let me get this straight.

In the next update, am I to expect the following?
-Combat overhaul that affects Fort Mode as well
-New Personality system
-Multi-tile trees (what about multi-tile monsters? About time that titans and company aren't the size of a single tile)
-Taverns
-Sending dwarves into the world other than the fort
-Leadership succession

Am I right or did I get them wrong? From what I've read in Toady's development page, it seems that he's focusing a lot on Adventurer mode (A mode that I don't really use).
You got two of them wrong. Taverns will only be places where drunks and adventurers will stand around to be recruited in adventure mode, pretty much, and we're likely still quite a while away from sending out dwarves into the world.

Nooooo.....I wanted to be an asshole.
Have I missed any new fort features? Or have I hit them all?

aside from:
-new industry

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 10:15:24 am »

People can cry now
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 10:23:37 am »

-New Personality system
-Multi-tile trees (what about multi-tile monsters? About time that titans and company aren't the size of a single tile)
-Taverns
-Leadership succession

Am I right or did I get them wrong? From what I've read in Toady's development page, it seems that he's focusing a lot on Adventurer mode (A mode that I don't really use).
You got two of them wrong. Taverns will only be places where drunks and adventurers will stand around to be recruited in adventure mode, pretty much, and we're likely still quite a while away from sending out dwarves into the world.

aside from:
-new industry

Not so much as new industry as expanded industry since there are now fruits (coconut and mango have been mentioned in the devlog), I expect those fruits to be brewable.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 11:20:53 am »

A lot is yet to be seen in fortress mode, such as

- Intelligent AI (siege, scales, jump, goblin digging)
- Magic
- a real connexion to the world (armies moving on your territory, heroes or adventurers in your tavern)
- economy
- complex relationships between dwarves, civil wars
- new personnality system, leading eventually to dwarves deciding themselves of what they want to become.

etc...etc...

The real thing with DF is that, even if it's probably the most complex game ever existing now, the biggest part and complexity is still to come...

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »

The "living world" stuff coming in this release sounds quite amazing.

I don't think there's any other game that can boast a dynamic, living world that is consistent both on the scale of kingdoms and the scale of particular entities which you can control and interact with to change the balance of power.

I especially like the part where leadership structures can be rebuilt dynamically, even when a lot (or all) of the kings, barons and mayors have been killed. And these replacements know where they came from and what they want to do to further the goals of their populations.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 01:17:50 pm »

Imagine the lag whenever a new town is built somewhere in the world.

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 01:46:17 pm »

Ok, we are more than a half in March... Is there any hope that the new version will be launched by the end of this month?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:18 pm »

A slim one, I think. Much better than the odds were of a late February release, but not nearly as high as a late April release.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »

-New Personality system
-Taverns
-Leadership succession

aside from:
-new industry

Don't you dare whinge about a mode being fleshed out that hadn't been for ten years beforehand.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:05 pm »

-New Personality system
-Taverns
-Leadership succession

aside from:
-new industry

Don't you dare whinge about a mode being fleshed out that hadn't been for ten years beforehand.

Well, think of it as self-hyping a game. Its less of whining or more of anticipation. But in all honesty, yes...I was sincerely hoping for my fortress to be able to have interaction with the outside world.

Despite that, I just want Toady to take his time and make sure the code is efficient and that the ideas are thoroughly fleshed out before even an attempt at implementation (remember economy in DF? lol)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »

The old economy was just an excuse to get coins moving around back in a time when the game had a high-score list (based on how much wealth the player accumulated in adventure mode after going back to a fallen fortress), IIRC.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »

A lot is yet to be seen in fortress mode, such as
- Intelligent AI (siege, scales, jump, goblin digging)
- Magic
- a real connexion to the world (armies moving on your territory, heroes or adventurers in your tavern)
- economy
- complex relationships between dwarves, civil wars
- new personnality system, leading eventually to dwarves deciding themselves of what they want to become.
etc...etc...
The real thing with DF is that, even if it's probably the most complex game ever existing now, the biggest part and complexity is still to come...
that is more complex and cause a lot of bug....
Edit:But more complex is good.
Sorry for Grammar.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »

This is wrong, because that is in the next version.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 02:56:53 am »

Well, partly, only.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:05 am »

Well, partly, only.

It's not so complex as the dwarves deciding their own fate, but yes the dwarven brain was completely rewritten. Toady actually had to teach them how to walk again or something at one point (or maybe that was just a case of something breaking).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5