Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lugdufugbugdur, "Northernshores," Lost to meta-stupidity. [FORTRESS LOST]  (Read 10324 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Welcome to Lugdufugbugdur "Nothernshore,"
A Masterwork community fortress!
Let the fortressing commence!

Hello all, as some of you may have gathered, I really really like doing community forts. Call me an attention whore, but I genuinely enjoy sharing the story of particular forts/camps/what have you with a larger audience and giving said audience a chance to participate so it can have more life jammed into it. So it is for this purpose I am starting this thread, centered on my first ever orc fortress, "Northernshores."

I wanted a little break from Carryscar (and dwarves in general,) but still wanted to continue a story and orc fortress provided. So, what d'you say guys? You willing to put up with yet another one by me? Because honestly I don't feel comfortable enough doing these anywhere else.

-

Premise: I decided to go for a challenge embark, that of the shipwrecked orcish raiders, lead by Captain Drosh, a Corsair of clan Sterntorch. Far from the primary clanholds of the southern tundras and taigas, this crew was acting under the direction of a Shadowbroker named Nithim, and have found themselves wrecked in unfamiliar land after an upriver raid on a forest retreat ending with a nightmarish storm out of nowhere. Their ship wrecked and much of their plunder and supplies lost, Captain Drosh must lead what little of his crew he knows for sure survived and make a home for themselves in this horrid tropical forest, amidst elves, tigers, and the equatorial sea.

The first two waves will be other crew members who survived and simply washed ashore elsewhere. Also within at least the Sterntorch clan and Drosh's vessel, Snaga aren't nearly as repressed or seen as quite as disposable. The little buggers are good shots and pretty quick so they're considered far more capable among these groups than elsewhere in the orcish world. Any Ronin migrants in the first two waves will be considered blind luck having blundered across us in their travels.

Embark Party and supplies: Since the orcs in this gen didn't have access to some stuff we had some points to spare, which were put into a breeding pair of steppe auruchs, frill lizards, and 16 extra units of swamp whisky and sewer brew. We have a few weapons, stone saw blades, food, cloth, and wood (the last two presumably having once been the sails and salvageable bits of ship.) Our party will be updated in a post further down. Now, for the intro stuff!

As before, I'll begin with some simple flavor text and pre-fort entries and stuff. Additional posts will follow, including a list of available orcs, an update and community contribution archive, and the first update. Also, since I've never played Orc Fortress, you can watch if for nothing else but to point and laugh while I blunder along unfamiliar territory.

Challenges: Since this is the shipwreck challenge, we need to get a minimum of 20000 black market ducats (platinum coins,) plus an additional 5000 per year since embark to pay back the owner of our vessel for all the loot, captives, and gear lost, and of course the lost ship itself. I've also decided that I'll add on the bonus objective and at least try not to mint any ducats myself. Other goals include: Building a pirate cove consisting of a waterfront villa, at least 2 raider's drydocks, 2 freelancer's guildhalls, and one of each type of caravanserai bazaar.

PRIMARY GOALS MET
Construct Large Villa/Meadhall/Whateveryoucallit
Build 2 Freelancer Guildhalls

Build 2 Drydocks Complete!
Acquire 20000 Ducats
Pay Interest on Above
Build a full Caravanserai Bazaar

ADDITIONAL GOALS MET
Full Veteran Warrior Squad (minimum 30 kills on fortress grounds)

-This is leather-bound journal. All craftsmanship, pages included, is of standard quality. On the cover is an image of orcs and elves in iron. The orcs and elves are fighting. Inside the cover are the words "Property of Captain Drosh, Corsair of Clan Sterntorch" in orcish glyphs. Many pages are smeared and torn, but you find a partial entry and beyond it, the pages seem mostly intact, if dirty and frayed along the edges. Strangely it is written in standard, denoting the orc owner was well traveled and more used to it over his own language, at least for writing, and appears to use the dwarven calander. Clearly whoever this Drosh was has some respect for the dwarves or their warriors.-

... and the snaga are complaining about not getting to fight again. They're quick buggers, and fine shots to boot, but that's just it: They aren't sturdy enough to help us on the up-river raids and we need someone to keep the ship and by extension our plunder safe, and no matter how many times I tell them that, they get angry.

But they listen. I'm the captain and they know my even taking them on as crew members show's my faith in them as warriors. While my fellow Corsairs don't mind the snaga, my perceived "progressiveness" has made me somewhat unpopular with both the common orcs and uruks in the crew. But they listen too; the commons are out here to become Corsairs themselves, and do their clans back south proud. After all, we've come a very long way to work for Shadowbroker Nithim and ruining it over some petty tradition regarding the snaga is pointless. And the Uruks... Well, they're here to fight, pure and simple. Might not like having to treat the snagas as equals, but they'll play along with it if they want to see another sunrise on this ship.

9th Opal, Year 92

The last raid was a massive success! We put together some small landing barges and went upriver and caught the knife-ears completely by surprise! Those poor bastards only had a minimum of troops around, just like Nithim said! The snaga were especially happy about finally getting to fight, and the uruks even enjoyed seeing elves get outshot by them, in spite of their prejudice. Came off with a good haul of mithril goods and even managed to trash a visiting caravan from the human empire! Got a nice healthy amount of powder and parts for our ship and coin for ourselves!

12th obsidian, Year 92

A damned storm came on us out of nowhere late last night and we're still getting buffeted around by the winds and waves... We've seen the odd storm in our time, but even the uruks are having trouble keeping us pointed in the right direction... I'm worried if this storm doesn't let up we'll be run aground or worse, and drowning is no way for an orc to die!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lugdufugbugdur, "Northernshores," A Masterwork 4f Orc Fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 06:44:06 pm »

ORCS
All Orc Unless needed, I'll simply place a sum of current caste members. If one is  claimed, I'll list them seperate from the sum. They will otherwise be listed only by their surname. Also due to some progressiveness on the part of Clan Sterntorch, don't be afraid of hopping aboard as a snaga! They may be watered down orcs, but they're still orcs! Everyone will be grouped by Caste when listed. Castes are Corsair, Ronin, Uruk, Base, Snaga, Artisan, and Dreamwalker. Claimed, Unclaimed, Name Deceased We lucked out with our embark party being all heavyweight orcs.

Founders
Tulbuk Savageford, Ronin, Female. Acting Warchief (swordsorc.) (Claimed by mensrea)

Drosh Dreadnets, Corsair, Male. Clan Leader/Craftsorc; Killed on the 17th of Hematite, 93 by a giant mantis. (Claimed by Splint)

Kegtorment, Base Orc, Male. Stoneworker/Mechanic
Desertlie, Base Orc, Female. Woodworker

Gradbul Werefalse, Uruk, Male. Miner. (Claimed by Splint)
Grond Clawdungeon, Uruk, Male. Warband Sergeant(ranged)/unskilled orc. (Claimed by 4maskwolf)
Lancerjackal, Uruk, Female. General food production.

MIGRANTS

ARTISANS
Guurguul Dreadedcut, Male. Smith/Fletcher.
1 Unclaimed Artisan; Legendary Blacksmith

SNAGA
Skabnot Terribleblocked, Male. Great butcher.(Claimed by jerbot)
5 Unclaimed Snaga

COMMONS
13 Unclaimed Common Orcs

CORSAIRS
Muzg Terribleblocked, Female. Thinka (archaeology and invention.)

URUK
Rhaken Dreadedcut, Female. Uruk Child. (Claimed by Rhaken)
2 Unclaimed Uruks

RONIN
1 Unclaimed Ronin

DREAMWALKERS
1 Unclaimed Oracle

FORTRESSBORN

PENDING

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:50:25 pm »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 06:51:52 pm »

GROND LIKE SHOOT THINGS WITH BOW.  PARTICULARLY PUNY DWARF THINGYS.

I'm in.  As the boworc.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 06:57:23 pm »

Welcome aboard! I'll update the list when I get the first update out!

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 06:58:12 pm »

Well, I'm looking forward to being able to participate, whether you have an attention-seeking problem or not!

One goal I thought could be something along the lines of an experienced warband. Perhaps "blooded" with a certain number of kills each. Maybe 20 orcs (mixed melee and ranged) with 10 or more kills each (at this fort)? I'm not sure on the numbers.

So, I'd love to be Orced, I'll take the first snaga to show up, male or female.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »

1st granite, Year 93. or maybe 2nd, I'm not too sure. Hell, it may still be Obsidian for all I know.

We've been salvaging bits and pieces of our vessel and whatever happens to still be useful on the beach. That damned storm caused us to hit a reef or something, and most of the crew is likely dead. I have a few other orcs with me, none of them corsairs of my clan. two commons, and three uruks. Also late last night, a wandering orc, one of the clanless ronin, stumbled upon us, with a steppe auruch bull loaded down with some food. May well have saved us honestly, and I'm glad to have her here. Says her name is Tulbuk of Savageford.

I've heard of Savageford orcs. Good fighters, but most of them died years ago in a war with the dwarves. No matter, she's here and has food, so she can stay.

So far we have some of the sails and wood, found an anvil half buried in the sand, some weapons and tools, and some of our brew along with three auruchs (a cow and two bulls,) which isn't a whole hell of alot. But we're orcs, and we didn't let a few displacmenets and ass kickings stop us decades ago and we sure as hell won't let a shipwreck stop us now!

There's a whole lot of things I recognize. Sand Sprites, some kind of odd little coastal nymph; remind me too much of elves for my taste.

5th Granite, Year 93

We've got some tiny plots made, so we'll have crops to make drink and not have to fight with the running river and the salt water. We've also started cutting out some of the gray rock here, and found some fuelstone. Lignite I think it's called. Shouldn't take us too long to build a proper dark gray stone meadhall, just like our ancestors had, since the rest of us have very little to do right now.

It's gonna be a long year...

So, there's the first update! And Jerbot's that's a pretty good idea actually. A sort of prestigious veteran squad would indeed be badass. Went with a minimum of 30 kills on fortress grounds, probably going to go with melee for simplicity's sake. Fixed some typos and everything's all nice and up to date now.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:24 pm »

I knew my streak of luck was too good to be true. I finally find myself in a place where I'm allowed to earn glory and respect and that elf-hugging storm wrecked it all. At least I'm not alone in elf country...when I die I'll have others around me to join my death scream.

The others want to keep moving, look for some safety. I just want to get one more point-ear before I go. I swear by my goblin-loving ancestors if I find another captain like Drosh, I'll die before leaving his side again. At this point I'd settle for a bow in my hand and an elf in my sights.

-From the Journal of Skabnot, snaga boworc

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »

And the honor of first community contribution goes to Jerbot! May get a second update out tonight before I crash for the night. We have giant crabs in the region so once we have somewhere for food storage, we'll be eating like rich humans!

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 08:18:00 pm »

Sign me up to be orced and overseered warbossed if you don't mind. I do have a question about orcs though: do they have tantruming disabled or something? They don't seem to be as sensitive as dwarves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

Sign me up to be orced and overseered warbossed if you don't mind. I do have a question about orcs though: do they have tantruming disabled or something? They don't seem to be as sensitive as dwarves.

If that's your way of claiming Tulbuk then done. She's pretty much our warboss/war chief.

And orcs as far as I know will pitch a fit eventually, but they may be a bit more resistant to it. But I expect a lot of orcs to die in the near future.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »

If that's your way of claiming Tulbuk then done. She's pretty much our warboss/war chief.

And orcs as far as I know will pitch a fit eventually, but they may be a bit more resistant to it. But I expect a lot of orcs to die in the near future.

Oh no, sorry, what I meant was to sign me up for a turn playing. Although I don't mind being orced as the warboss, as long as shes a derelict and a drunkard.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 09:02:52 pm »

Oh, it's not a succession game. I guess that was a bit of confusing wording on my part with the OP, sorry. Tulbuk's all yours. She's a ronin, so she's pretty valuable and probably will end up a bit of a drunk eventually.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 09:49:56 pm »

Dorf Orc me, please. First male Uruk or Dreamwalker that comes along. I'll try not to scheme against 4maskwolf or steal his job, I swear.  :P
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4