Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lugdufugbugdur, "Northernshores," Lost to meta-stupidity. [FORTRESS LOST]  (Read 10456 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Lugdufugbugdur, "Northernshores," A Masterwork 4f Orc Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 10:15:08 pm »

12th Slate, Year 93

Sighted some giant crabs along the shore. Yes, honest to gods giant crabs the size of a wagon! If only we had somewhere to store our food besides the wagon we built out of ship bits to carry the rest we slavaged... Tulbuk was eager to go after them, but I had her stand down; Can't go and get a kill with no place to store the meat.

Granbul's working on it now, but we can only do so much with one pick to dig out store rooms.

28th Slate, Year 93

Giant crabs took their leave, waddling into the sea. Shame... In the meanwhile we have more or less a base for the meadhall half finished, and have found ample amounts of bite-hum-us coal I think Tulbuk called it. Meh, it's all fuelkstone to me. Put up a blood bowl pitch and it was only afterward that we realized we didn't have any leather to make a ball with.

I finally got around to setting up a shoddy warcrafter's hut. If nothing else when we do finally get a chance, Tulbuk and I will be able to gather the stuff we need.

25th Felsite, Year 93

Looks like it's mostly graphite around here. We'll have to make the most of what we have and while not particularly great, I guess it'll do. Been hauling food below ground, and getting spaces ready for a hunt. We saw some spider monkeys roaming around the edge of the tree line so if nothing else maybe we can get a little meat off them.

Early Summer, Year 93

I forget what the dwarves' names for the rest of the year are. Never fought alongside the legion long enough to learn that much. Saw giant mantises...  Mantids? I dunno, big, green, and mantis shaped. Gonna put up our necessary shops, and set about taking one or two down.

-The entries end rather abruptly, and there appears to be... Bite marks? Upon inspection, you find what appears to be a large hole through the back of the cover that goes through most of the pages, with a good bit of blood. You surmise that clearly Drosh met an untimely end at the... claws? Of the mantises. However, the clear staining of ichor means that he didn't go down without a fight. You sift through another couple books, detailing other years until you find another one. Up until 17th Hematite, it is filled with complaints about alleged freakish weather, dirt, and other odd things. It appears to belong to one Gradbul Werefalse.-

17 Iron, 93

The Corsair is dead, slain while attempting to hunt giant mantises. While I didn't care for his insistence on praising snaga when he felt it necessary, he died trying to provide for the clan and it is only right we continue to do so in his memory. He was slain by a mantis that Tulbuk went to great length to bring down, killing Captain Drosh's murderer and all the other bugs. The clan eats well thanks to her, and by extension the Corsair.

We will lift our mugs to him, and will bury him at sunrise tomorrow. If we delay longer, I'm sure Tulbuk will slit our throats as we sleep for leaving him to rot; it is clear the Savageford orc was quite taken with Drosh.

21 Iron, 93

Appeased Tulbuk with a promise of a decent tomb for the Corsair. We will build it from dark graphite of the clanhold grounds. All the clan are in low spirits; between constant rain and Drosh's death, I fear one or all of us may soon snap and attack the rest. We must build the tomb quickly, lest we incur the ronin's wrath. For now, the ronin contents herself butchering the slain mantises rather than her fellow orcs.

24 iron, 93

Fellow crew members coming up the coast.

Guurguul Dreadedcut, Artisan, and one much needed. Has an enchanted blade shadowing him everywhere. I remember the shadowing blade.
Krimbur Dreadedcut, Common orc machine operator. Wife of . I remember the wedding on the ship, at least until the blacking out part.
Rhaken Dreadedcut, An uruk youngling. Will be a fine warrior when she is grown. Perhaps Tulbuk will teach her the ways of the raider and warrior. The Dreadedcut line do Sterntorch clan proud.
Skabnot Terribleblocked, Snaga boworc. I remember Skabnot. Great butcher.
Muzg Terribleblocked, Funny thinking type. Never raided, always stayed on the ship. Preferred the water to fighting. Odd orc, Corsair orc. Wife of Skabnot, and brave to be wife of a snaga. Married with the Artisan and his wife.

Skabnot asked of the captain. Told him the captain was killed by mantises, and the snaga broke down in tears at the side of his body. When calmed, asked to help build the tomb. Approved. Good to see a snaga eager to work.

Well shit, first death goes to me! Poor Drosh got torn in half by one of the giant mantises and Tulbuk is going to die childless; Drosh was her lover. But she went and chased the whole group down until the named one was killed and she's been butchering corpses since. Pretty sure he died due to lack of armor. And Rhaken, you got your wish. First one to come along!

May actually go for a third, but it'll probably be a short one. Hope you guys are enjoying it so far!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 10:37:56 pm »

Well, I did say male, but sod it. This promises to be much more amusing. Keep them updates rolling. I kind of feel inspired to try the mod after I'm done with my turn in Steelhold. :D
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 10:56:55 pm »

Didn't see the male part, sorry. And I think I'll try for another update; an orc is pitching a fit right now anyway.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:53 am »

Sometimes I think the gods are toying with me. I taste the good life and it is taken. We miraculously find some more of the ships crew, but Drosh has been recently slain. What have I ever done but be spat on by my "betters"? This Gradbul seems to be more of the same, I can tell in his eyes he sees me as too low for notice. Looks like I am back on the bottom of the ladder again. Maybe my brief respite from all of this was just a cruel joke.

But Muzg is still with me, and she brings me some comfort. After Drosh's tomb is finished, we will see what status I have left in this ragged group, and how I might prove myself worthy of bringing death to our enemies once more.

-From the Journal of Skabnot

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »

13 Copper, 93

One of the commons has become too upset over the numerous issues from lack of tables and chairs to the death of Drosh. Worried she may decide to attack one of us in her anger. Tulbuk stands ready to deal with her should the need arise and Muzg offers to act as a shaman, for any others to speak with to calm their nerves. So long as the common doesn't kill or injure the rest of us, she may throw her tantrum.

17 Copper, 93

Duum has calmed herself after days throwing tools and fruitless punching of me and less fruitless punching of a frill lizard. She now speaks with Mugz. The lizard however, now alternates between vomiting on everything and falling over.

27 Copper, 93

We work to put a roof over our head now. We have leather, thanks to a buthcered auruchs. Need to render tallow to make lamellar. Until we have proper lamellar, Tulbuk uses chitinplate for protection.

7 Flux, 93

Summer has passed without note. We have tables and now I know why the rains seem so... off. The rains taste like a mix of auruch milk and honey. I saw the youngling standing out in the rain with her mouth open to the rainfall, which is how I found out.

18 Flux, 93

Cow gave birth, forced Mugz to stop being shaman when she demanded ballista parts be made. Need the wood for other things, and nobody is in danger of anger at present. Making lamellar, and planeted prickle berries for drink.

The snaga says we should build a bridge over the nearby river. Tulbuk agrees, as does the artisan. Others say a forge, or depot in case a council caravan comes. Not sure why, we have nothing to trade and I don't plan to part with the fuelstones.

8 Hardsand, 93

Built the bridge, built the depot. Making more beds. I feel more crew may find us, and they'll need cots to avoid anger.

15 Hardsand, 93

Crew came as expected. Three common orcs, two long married of the Canceroustorment patriarchal line of the Sterntorch clan and those who forced food from our old landings' soil. The ship was dashed upon rocks on their first raid with us. Also a lone common by the name of Zatalat Wrackedangle, a former sneak of Savageford. He doesn't know Tulbuk by name, but did recognize her. He says many Savageford clanorcs have found themselves new homes among Clans Toilhorror and Frostweave and take the name of Savageford as a family name now rather than a clan name. He travels not to sell his blade, but to inform ronin like Tulbuk of this. He pledges to stay however, after learning of our lost ship and captain and the debt owed the Shadowbroker Nithim.

More lamellar is being made to outfit still another warrior, should we get one able to take the place of Drosh who we have since buried. Tulbuk frequents his tomb, which we built in view of the blood bowl pitch he set up himself, so his spirit may watch the games once they finally begin.

18 Hardsand, 93

Many of the new clan have made two things clear. That this hold must have a name and that it shall be Nothernshores, and that they fear the eventual reprisals of the knife-ears and discovery by humans and dwarves. I now labor to provide stone for the artisan to make sufficient clubs for all the Northernshores clanorcs, that none will want for protection.

-

Reports come of brutish monkeys. Gorillas, Tulbuk calls them. Humans and knife-ears often make an effort to use them for battle, as do the mudbeards when the chance comes. The artisan now labors to make goods to spread of our presence to other clans. The rest of the orcs approve.

28 Hardsand, 93

Tulbuk arms herself for a hunt. I am on break and we want for graphite to build as a result, but I have labored much of the year and deserve time off. I advised against hunting the giant horseshoe crabs she has marked as prey alone. The other savageforge clanorc has volunteered to aid her, and the snaga demands command of a snaga boworc squad. Snaga are held higher than normal among the Sterntorch clan, and I promised to Tulbuk we would continue to do so and I have approved it.

Tulbuk and Zatalat will hunt tomorrow, and we'll eat like rich humans.

11 Wood, 93

The hunt commences. Zatalat sleeps, Tulbuk hunts alone.

18 Wood, 93

Oddly dressed orcs coming from the north, from our farthest north ashlander allies' camps, come bearing wagons and even better, auruchs for our herd. To the south are goblin cousins, heading for the same. Scrapswords and slicas make for poor weapons on their own, but they will serve the clan better than nothing would. The northcoming orcs appear to be “ferals,” clanless orcs who've banded together in loosly functioning tribes. Many shun anything more advanced than crossbows. Strange orcs.

19 Wood, 93

Tulbuk squanders her chance to make a good catch chasing gulls, and now the crabs hide in the surf. I have reprimanded her, and she now lurks by the water, eager to jump anything that blunders out onto the sand.

21 Wood, 93

Corsair offers to speak for the clan. Her demands for ballista parts still stand though. These must be dealt with so that fellow orcs avoid death and injury when rule of clan law is finally established. But she is on break, and the orc who struck me volunteers to speak instead.

Clanorcs come from the north behind the ferals. Trade with them is welcome, as a gull may prompt departure from the goblins. Cowards.

Tulbuk is forced to leave her hunt for drink. The crabs refuse to come up from the surf.

28 Wood, 93

Crabs have finally come out and the clanorcs coming from the north went out to hunt, seeking to aid their fellow orcs. Two crabs and three gulls have met their ends. Good riddance for the gulls; they accost us at every turn. The goblins stay to trade, and the artisan now need to labor for the rusty iron. We'll need that to make shillings to pay the passing raiders we've seen, or at least crude weapons.

We now have strange underdark crabs, look like large roaming boulders with pincers of those Drosh sought to hunt and both seem eager to find places to leave eggs; our auruch herd is of healthy size. We require buckets to make cheese from the cows, but Duum thinks she can squeeze some of those ornery mountain boars from the goblins. Called cragtooths I think. Violent. Fitting companions for orcs.

The clanorc caravan master also speaks with me now, between my work on sets of dwellings for my clan. Most will likely just find a spot uncrowded by tables and set up their cots and cabinets there, but we of the crew deserve private homes. To console Tulbuk, I will make an effort to give her a better room and ensure more places to put her wargear and belongings are put in.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 01:10:32 pm »

Is there an archery range set up yet?

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 01:14:48 pm »

Any way we can get a map of the area? Skabnot volunteers to scout it out if need be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 01:24:56 pm »

Is there an archery range set up yet?

Not yet; we don't really have much to keep a reliable supply of arrows just yet anyway so I'm readying some melee warriors in the meantime. I'm worried that the elves will be on us soon and if it's bowelves for them first attack... We won't have a chance. We have a couple suits of lamellar armor, some cheap copper sabres and blowguns, and that's it. Once the accommodations for the crew are finished, Gradbul will be working to find us usable metal ores, so we'll have something that can punch through the root armors of the knife-ears.

Well, there's a river, some trees, and a whole lot of sand. But I'll try for an overhead of the whole area since it's flat.
Any way we can get a map of the area? Skabnot volunteers to scout it out if need be.

Also for reference of how most of the taiga orcs here will be keeping time unless well traveled (like Tulbuk or Corsairs.)

Granite: Commonrock
Slate: Graystone
Felsite: Lavarock
Hematite: Iron
Malachite: Copper
Galena: Lead
Limestone: Flux
Sandstone: Hardsand
Timber: Wood, of course
Moonstone: Longnight
Opal: Gemstone
Obsidian: Rocksword

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:31 pm »

I linked to this from the MDF board. :) Nice story so far, I really like it. Just bad luck that the main character is the only one who died...

And I feel like this is relevant:
Spoiler: forumdwarves script (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:04:02 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 01:36:28 pm »

Why thank you mighty Meph, I appreciate that. And hey, deaths keep things interesting. Pretty sure it was just the lack of armor coupled with Drosh being (I'm assuming) only base orc size. Tulbuk went on a fuckin' rampage afterwards and I'm fairly certain we're still sitting on a good bit of mantis meat from her hunt.

Also, just a little
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »

Great work! Looking forward to the full report.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 04:09:17 pm »

2 Longnight, 93

The snaga seeks to scout and make maps. Used some of the artisan goods to get him arms and armor. Fur-lined leather to prtect his organs, and white copper recurve bow; snaga seemed overjoyed for a strong metal bow. Got lucky and purchased a bar of puresteel, and the artisan is tasked with forging Tulbuk a blade worthy of her station as clan warcheif.

10 Longnight, 93

All our clanorcs and cousins have gone. We have basic forging spaces made, and the artisan has set about making weapons. The snaga spent this time scouting and mapping, and came back with an extensive one.

He also says he sees a giant bird, native to the area near one of the old landings, and strange little red-haired humans his wife calls leprakahns. Killed them for attempting to steal the artisan's masterfully made bodkin arrows and superiorly forged steel blade.

5 Rocksword, 93

Begun construction of the drydocks. We've also put together a set of ironbone claws. Should the knife-ears come, we'll carve them up like the subcreatures they are. Fairly certain we have the first done, but I haven't actually checked.

19 Rocksword, 93

Dogman skulking around the villa. Snaga fired two shots and missed, and gave chase. Once outside, three arrows. All struck, and the dogman lay dead. First shot was a panic, second warning. It was not fast enough, and paid for its trespass.

3 Commonrock, 94

New year, been stranded a full one. Not considered stranded anymore. Ordered much fuelstone and breeding pairs of auruchs, condors, dire wolves, and sabercats.

5 Graystone, 94

Clanorcs come from the south. Some other orc can record them. I write only what they are, for my own reference.

3 Snaga
8 Commons
1 Ronin
1 Dreamwalker (an oracle orc)
2 Fellow Uruks
1 Artisan

10 Graystone, 94

We build a second blood bowl pitch and raise a stone circle. Once we've gotten all the leftover lamellar forbidden from use, we can play some games!

17 Graystone, 94

The games commence! As the oracle raises the stone circle, games of dodgeball are had! Followed by much drinking and heads being smashed in the ground. The Ronin Hosh challenged all the adult snaga to stop her from making three scores, and they amazingly prevailed. Hosh has to praise them when the snaga demand it now, as was their wager. Had Hosh beat them (like she should've!) they would have had to be her personal servants for the summer.

The new artisan was behaving oddly. Came out with a fancy vermin catch made from zinc

12 Lavarock, 94

Ashland nomads, allies. Good friends, even if they're knife-ears. Often bought plunder from us at our landings, usually mithril or other metals. I've been to an ashlander camp. Have a fondness for the ebonglass, since it makes for good bashing weapons. Who woulda thought glass could be so powerful? Should look into buying some if they have it with them this run.

13 Lavarock, 94

The ashlanders have allies to offer: Fisher gremlins, to provide us with fish so orcs need not waste their efforts splashing along the sand and riverbank, and Ogres, who would gladly fight by our side for a pittance of food in return, and Nith to act as our own scouts, servants, and messengers. They also offer mighty animals native to this peninsula: Tigers, Lions, Gorillas, and Jaguars. They also offer ashland glass blower blueprints. Ordered the predator cats and strong apes, as well as metals and gold dust.

18 Lavarock, 94

Warlocks come. Odd fellows, but good warriors when the time calls for it. Excellent spies and saboteurs too, especially against the mudbeards. They're brave to rely on only spells and metal rods to fight. Weak though, weak enough that should we have to we can snap them in half. Goblin cousins come soon after.

21 Lavarock, 94

Ok, so, we may well be fucked. First sylvan warband was made up of bowelves and while Skabnot is a good shot (he did manage to centermass a fleeing kobold,) and Tulbuk is a mighty warrior, I fear we're boned. But I'll be damned if we're gonna go down without a fight! And without further delay, my response when I saw the alert.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 04:56:04 pm »

Curse all friends of nature indeed!

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »

lmao damn you making me laugh when I'm sick! That moth picture sent me into a good ten minute coughing fit.

Thing is fucking priceless

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »

22 Lavarock, 94

The knife-ears lay dead, only two escaped our warriors. Wasted their shots on cragtooths and auruchs, gave the warriors time to assault them. Also, A new warrior joins the Corasir's Revenge. A peasant trawling for turtles ina pond charged the elves, and bludgeoned one into submission, breaking its neck and using its armor to assail other bowelves.

Zatalat of clan Savageford suffered the only injury to orcs: He was struck in the ass! We claimed victory, with only the artisan's shadowing blade and the cragtooths harmed, as we all agree he should continue to just walk off. A shaman can yank it out later. The artisan is understandably distraught over loss of the blade

Tulbuk ran down and slew the elf raid leader and his steed.

Hosh and Tulbuk lead in kills, and we reap the benefits of our foes' demise! Let all friends of nature fear us! Tulbuk will labor long to melt down their armor and silly “hats.” In the meantime, Duum asked the ashlanders if they'd be interested in some slightly used cotton shirts and pants, using the selling point of them only being somewhat bloody and lacking in too many tears.

15 Iron, 94

The second drydock should be complete in the next month. We've already seen orcish raid boats drop anchor off the coast, clearly curious about the villa and drydocks. We've decided to try and order all the wood we can for our needs; the trees here provide cover too valuable to our warriors to simply clear cut them, no matter how much we want to to spite the sylvans.

Gulls appear in the skies, and accost us once again.

20 Iron, 94

I hate gulls.

Tulbuk hunts them, but she has trouble reaching many of them with her blade. So I tasked the snaga Skabnot to assist, and I must commend his still at arms, as I saw him hit a gull mid-flight square in the head!

11 Copper, 94

As plans are made and acted on for a place to put the wounded, Muzg reclaims position as head shaman and waits for her rightful accommodations. The second drydock is also finished more or less, and more orcish boats flying the flag of Shadowbroker Nithim anchor nearby.

Clanorcs come from the south as well, and I record the numbers.

4 Commons
2 Snaga (Assigned to follow Skabnot into battle.)
Various pets, including a useful auruchs.

So, we won! And did amazingly well for our first ambush! The idiot elves wasted their time firing on livestock, or hitting trees. Other than the one ass shot, none of us were injured, and Tulbuk killed their mounted commander! Now we're setting to melting down various cages and their armor. Gonna keep the bows and arrows though; Skabnot's squad will undoubtedly find them useful. Also, First major goal complete!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4