Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About Waves of migrants  (Read 2981 times)

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About Waves of migrants
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »

How to stop accepting Waves of migrants????
And I don't like Vampires. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Sorry for Grammar.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: About Waves of migrants
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:43 pm »

To learn how to limit future migration waves, read the wiki article, specifically the section about limiting/preventing migration. It's pretty easy to change the value, but you might still get one or two waves afterwards.

To learn how to deal with vampires, read the wiki article. If simply efficiently dealing with vampires you receive isn't good enough you'll have to generate a new world with advanced parameters. There is a wiki article for that, too. You go down the list until you find a value for number of vampire curse types and set that value to zero (0), then generate a world using the parameter set you made.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:05:05 pm »

Hey, waves of migrants arent such a bad thing. More conscripts to give shoddy copper armor and weapons.
Or if you really dont want them, lock them outside until a gobbo ambush comes around.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:32:02 pm »

Hey, waves of migrants arent such a bad thing. More conscripts to give shoddy copper armor and weapons.
Or if you really dont want them, lock them outside until a gobbo ambush comes around.

Or both.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »

To learn how to limit future migration waves, read the wiki article, specifically the section about limiting/preventing migration. It's pretty easy to change the value, but you might still get one or two waves afterwards.

To learn how to deal with vampires, read the wiki article. If simply efficiently dealing with vampires you receive isn't good enough you'll have to generate a new world with advanced parameters. There is a wiki article for that, too. You go down the list until you find a value for number of vampire curse types and set that value to zero (0), then generate a world using the parameter set you made.
Thank Eric And JimboM12.
Now, I sealed my fortress with double moat.
Sorry for Grammar.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »

I've confirmed, at least to my own satisfaction, that you stop getting migrants after the outpost liaison shows up at your fort while you are at or above the population limit set in the init files.  e.g., a fort with 61/60 dwarves when the liaison arrived stopped getting migrants at that point, while another fortress with 59/60 got three more waves, spring, summer and autumn, when the liaison next showed up, at which point (~90/60) migration to the fortress stopped.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:54:47 pm »

What's thre vanilla number where this happens? I haven't modded anything, and am wondering at what point my migrants will turn off.

Also, if a fort holds on after this happens long enough, will the outpost liaison start migrants happening again?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:11 pm »

Vanilla it's 200. Most forts fall to lag death at about that level.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 06:34:55 am »

I have little idea for some useless migrants waves
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry for Grammar.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:23 am »

Maybe in the coming release. Right now, the only way to do that is to track down your fortress in Adventure mode and recruit the newbies by hand.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:18:28 pm »

Maybe in the coming release. Right now, the only way to do that is to track down your fortress in Adventure mode and recruit the newbies by hand.
I hope it is coming in DFMode.
Sorry for Grammar.

Kerbalrocketry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »

you can always 'dispose' ;) of unwanted migrants, make sure they don't get a chance to mingle with your dwarfs though.

Or just recruit them into a rag-tag militia, what i normally do with excess Dorfs' though the same rule of no mingling applies given the death rates involved in poorly armed and armoured milita...

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:29 pm »

My last wave of migrants took over a month to walk into my fortress...luckily, this meant thtat the vampire got to fight the goblin siege.

Oh darn.

The only one I regretted out of that wave was a married guy with kids. *sigh* No more babies out of him, I guess.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.