Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Compact Minecart Watercannon  (Read 12462 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Compact Minecart Watercannon
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:22 am »

I am not using your design. I've independantly come up with something very similar. Next time I get a chance to play I'll fix my minecart speed issue and post results here. I wouldn't hold your breath though as my free time (for playing, not posting from work :)) is extremely limited at the moment :(

Oh. Okay. Good luck, and if there are any quirks of working with magma aside from higher friction, I'd like to hear about them.

There is a link to a minecart speed calculator at the bottom of the first post, you might find it useful for the tweaking.

Glad to hear somebody found it useful.  :D

Yeah, it definitely saved me an experiment or two. Great tool. Have you ever taken a look on submerged impulse ramps, by the way? They seem to work in odd ways.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 10:35:12 am »

There is a link to a minecart speed calculator at the bottom of the first post, you might find it useful for the tweaking.

Glad to hear somebody found it useful.  :D

Yeah, it definitely saved me an experiment or two. Great tool. Have you ever taken a look on submerged impulse ramps, by the way? They seem to work in odd ways.

Yeah, I did take a look at them, but couldn't figure them out. Impulse ramps are especially odd, but anything submerged behaves in an weird way, don't depend on the predictions, they are usually off. Then I got fed up trying to make sense out of it... :(
The best I could do is figure out a powerless impulse ramp based magma filling system that can work without the cart getting stuck on the up ramp, the description is in the calculator topic if you're interested. Oh, and the perpetual motion elevator is also a great trick, I'm quite proud of figuring out that bug. :)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 06:48:17 pm »

What's the variance on the water shots? If it's not too bad, a pressure tower could dual purpose to provide loading water and provide land mines to force the enemies into a kill zone.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 01:36:15 pm »

Yeah, I did take a look at them, but couldn't figure them out. Impulse ramps are especially odd, but anything submerged behaves in an weird way, don't depend on the predictions, they are usually off. Then I got fed up trying to make sense out of it... :(
The best I could do is figure out a powerless impulse ramp based magma filling system that can work without the cart getting stuck on the up ramp, the description is in the calculator topic if you're interested. Oh, and the perpetual motion elevator is also a great trick, I'm quite proud of figuring out that bug. :)

Because the damn things don't make sense. A long chain of submerged impulse ramps seemed to push the minecart in a certain direction with constant speed. I don't know, maybe water flow has some kind of an effect on that, but figuring it out is probably nearly impossible.

What's the variance on the water shots? If it's not too bad, a pressure tower could dual purpose to provide loading water and provide land mines to force the enemies into a kill zone.

+/- a few ticks, I think. The carts stay suspended in the air for a variable number of ticks after the floor grate is retracted, and then there is the general weirdness of underwater impulse ramps. I don't know enough about working with fluids to give a definite answer about the pressure tower, but it could work, unless the water would flood out of the cannons in undesirable directions.
Pages: 1 [2]