Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taming baby animals  (Read 4577 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming baby animals
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 11:46:55 pm »

Which is why you train them before they turn wild. Of course, if for some reason you want to let them go wild, a chain or a cage is the way to go, but usually your trainers will get to a well-trained animal long before it goes wild.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 04:52:56 am »

Training babies in cages works quite often, because cages make the training regression faster, so there's a decent chance they regress fully and are trained before they mature, and it's also safe.
If I'm trying to domesticate animals I train the parents to be, pasture them in a pasture that's also a training area, and when sufficient young are produced to create a third generation (i.e. one male and one female capable of reproduction) I cage the parents to prevent accidents and to raise the species training familiarity (that doesn't have much of an actual effect, but provides some kind of role playing "value" to the fortress). The young are set to be trained when I get the birth message, of course.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:17 am »

:o
that was quite useful information! I will take a peek at the raws and add baby stages to the animals I wish to train! Does that work without regenning the world? I would guess so...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 10:34:19 am »

:o
that was quite useful information! I will take a peek at the raws and add baby stages to the animals I wish to train! Does that work without regenning the world? I would guess so...

It should work, the next generation of animals will become babies.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 12:23:10 pm »

A year or so back I changed the raws for cats and dogs to give the genders different names mid game. That had the result of existing animals using the standard designations and new ones the new designations. That indicates it should behave the same with a baby stage.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »

A year or so back I changed the raws for cats and dogs to give the genders different names mid game. That had the result of existing animals using the standard designations and new ones the new designations. That indicates it should behave the same with a baby stage.

Indeed, existing animals won't be altered, but new ones 'generated' (read. born) will be made according the edited raws

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »

Approximately 1 season after having been actually assigned to be domesticated, the batlings were domesticated, and have since been locked up in a cage to mature into crisp and delicate Sauvignon Giant bats, with a bouqet like a Forgotten Beasts armpit. i'm considering using DFhack to put together a standing order to automatically assign trained but non-domesticated child animals for domestication. I'll call it the No Bat Child Left Behind act of 95.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 12:25:41 am »

Ummmm.... animals do -not- regress faster in cages.  The advice to leave an animal in a cage is only for very hard to train creatures (dragons and rocs) and/or piss-poor animal trainers.  Its mostly a safety issue as well.  If Urist McIrwin can only train an animal to semi-wild or the lowest "tame," level, its safest to just leave the critter in a cage.  For everything else you can release it for more frequent training sessions (since training will never happen below fully wild in a cage).  However, you do -not- want a trap immune jabberer go berserk in the middle of your fortress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 04:17:09 am »

Thanks Niddhoger for correcting the misconception about the regression rate of caged animals. I was sure it was described to work that way in the past, but either I was wrong or the the wiki has been updated.

Jabberers are not trap immune, though. However, they're large enough to be atom smashing immune. I monitor my jabberer parents to be carefully to ensure they're either trained or caged, and they go back into a cage after producing the next breeding generation, for safety reasons.

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 04:46:58 am »

If they're carnivorous, you may be having trouble with meat supply.  Causing the job to stall until you slaughtered something.

I've noticed that training carnivores involves a guy running to the cage with a drumstick. And doesn't happen without.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 05:49:08 am »

Jabberers are not trap immune, though. However, they're large enough to be atom smashing immune. I monitor my jabberer parents to be carefully to ensure they're either trained or caged, and they go back into a cage after producing the next breeding generation, for safety reasons.

In the last version it was that creatures once tamed then knew about all of your traps (or would be treated as citizens by them, at least...).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 09:13:02 am »

@gunpowdertea: Hm, I didn't think about that aspect. I haven't had any rogue formerly trained creatures running around though (except a gremlin due to gremlin training special wonkiness, but they're natural trap avoiders).

@mgotthard: I'm not sure about carnivores requiring meat, as there have been reports of herbivores given meat at times when trained. Not saying you're wrong, just that I'm not sure. I'm not aware of having failed to train due to lack of meat, and I generally try to make lavish meals out of all butchery products.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »

In the last version it was that creatures once tamed then knew about all of your traps (or would be treated as citizens by them, at least...).

I did consider this to be a possible issue. However this bat taming misadventure is set against a backdrop of me murdering most of my meat animal herds for reasons of FPS, including enough draltha's to choke a giant sperm whale. I have 900 units of forgotten beast meat of varying size and providence, 1500 units of draltha meat and a veritable smorgasbord of eyes, spleens, brains and miscellany, all unforbidden and in a take-from-anywhere-give-to-anywhere stockpile. I am forced to conclude that meat -even if it is necessary for a carnivore- isn't the issue here. It may be in some of the others, i don't know

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »

I have 900 units of forgotten beast meat of varying size and providence provenance

Fixed.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 08:03:11 pm »

I have 900 units of forgotten beast meat of varying size and providence provenance

Fixed.

Thank you  :P. Twas Providence that provenanced me so. Or, indeed, a big set of bronze upright spear traps.
Pages: 1 [2]