Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Academy of Science: The New Knowledge Center  (Read 32290 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Academy of Science: The New Knowledge Center
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:09 pm »

Posting To Watch.

Also:

Does the weaponization of water in mine carts count for this? It seems neat, but I'm not sure if it counts as science, and if it does, I don't know which one to link to:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114654.0 (original/first I could find) : Fully automatic watergun (Quantum Menace)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119831.0 (redesign) : Water-gun Redux, the Wave-cannon (Quantum Menace)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126321.0 (similar idea) : Cart auto-cannon Squirt-gun (gchristopher)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134745.0 (posted very recently): Compact Minecart Watercannon (Hetairos)

I suppose it's more fort design than anything else, but I figured I'd bring it up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:31:05 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 12:09:17 am »

Aww man, now I really do need to start to come up with some guidelines. Here are some of my thoughts. I'd appreciate some input so I can make this thread as useful as possible.

To keep this list from becoming bloated, I would like to cut any posts which contain information I could just add to the wiki. For example, I (or the OP) could just update the bridge page on the wiki rather than link to the "Bridge materials science" thread. The wiki can reference the thread, so people can see how the research was done.

To minimize redundancy, I do not want to link to multiple posts on the same subject. For example, I would not want to add more than one minecart watergun thread.
--How should I choose? Should I go with the first one, the most informative one, or the one with the best design? Haven't read most of those posts yet, by the way.
--Where to draw the line between similar subjects? For instance, a minecart watergun is really just a minecart shotgun. If I include a minecart shotgun thread, is it redundant to include a watergun thread?

Where is the line between science and (mega)project? For example, I can see the logic in including a minecart watergun thread as a science post, since it puts together a couple of minecart mechanics in an interesting and useful way, but what about, say, an ocean fort?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 12:12:46 am »

I would say no to the minecart watergun on the grounds that it isn't something in the game raws.  Much of the science done is to determine the workings of game mechanics, and the minecart watergun, while creative, is really just a megaproject.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:35 am »

I think this science post should have all the clever little game tricks that have been found- QSP's, liquid switches, falling onto spears, etc. More useful that way.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02:12 am »

I would say no to the minecart watergun on the grounds that it isn't something in the game raws.  Much of the science done is to determine the workings of game mechanics, and the minecart watergun, while creative, is really just a megaproject.

That depends on what kind of science we're going for: feats of engineering, determining the inner workings of the game, or both? Only large projects, or small tricks like minecart QSPs too?

Also, this thread ought to be linked from the wiki.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 04:57:34 am »

That depends on what kind of science we're going for: feats of engineering, determining the inner workings of the game, or both? Only large projects, or small tricks like minecart QSPs too?

Also, this thread ought to be linked from the wiki.

I'm thinking I want to include those engineering projects like the minecart watergun, simply because I happen to like them. When deciding whether to add an engineering project, creative/novel use of game mechanics and general impressiveness of the project will have to factor into the decision.

I think this science post should have all the clever little game tricks that have been found- QSP's, liquid switches, falling onto spears, etc. More useful that way.

Originally I planned to leave all that stuff out since it's all on the wiki, but now that I think of it, you wouldn't know what to look for on the wiki if you weren't already aware of at least some of those tricks. I think I'll put something together for this thread, even if it's just links to the relevant wiki pages.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »

It seems to me that in addition to the Academy of Science, we need an Academy of Engineering thread.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 02:03:22 pm »

That sounds like a really good idea..

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 05:02:44 pm »

ptw

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:29 pm »

I've done some !!SCIENCE!! regarding the mechanics of trade goods production, it's available at the Trade Goods talk page and, although it's a WIP (as I haven't had the time, or interest, to look about other materials or products), I would enjoy some outside verification, hence the post.

As for why I posted in the wiki and not here... I'm a lazy individual and the wiki seemed easier to access and to write to.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 08:57:01 pm »

Updated the OP again. I've added a section for practical projects, like danger rooms and pump stacks, but it's largely empty at the moment.

Corrupt Ai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 10:50:31 pm »

Ptw

This is like the Forrest Gump of fog zombies.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 11:09:10 pm »

How about a section on questionable, or controversial medical experiments?

Like, "I'm going to hell: how and why my dwarves now kill their own babies"

And of course, the "Platinum Crutch wresters" thread that came out today?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5