Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.02 - 6½ months, thanks for playing  (Read 48123 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.02
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 04:41:15 pm »

Sounds good to me as well.  I'm certainly not wedded to the idea of 18/26, and a lower threshold does make for a faster game and a faster shot at reviewing our errors for the next game. 

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 04:52:22 pm »

Now comes the hardest part of Dominions... Naming your pretender!

I guess I could go with Girly Man, but I'm not too hot on that name.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:12 pm »

I'll eat your motor boat. Try getting into water then!

I finished mine yesterday, name's Eastern Enigma. Gonna keep it a secret. I guess some fair guesses can be made once the titles get published though.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 07:38:04 pm »

Ok, good.
I am going for Pythium, by the way ;)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:38 pm »

Prototype pretender is currently named Test3, (Tests4-7 proved unsatisfactory), so yeah, I'll have to work on that. Hmmm, maybe I'll go with that beverage theme...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 08:01:06 pm »

I was planning on a surprise pretender but after rigorous testing it felt mainly suited to singleplayer.
Alas you people won't face the glory that is freespawn Jomon.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »

No Statue of War, huh? Personally I'd go with the Dragon King either awake or dormant as a decent SC who can expand underwater, but I'm not an expert on Jomon so I don't know if that's what's best for them.

Anyway, are we going with the default site frequency? Just asking 'cause I'm a sucker for lots of sites, and the limit did get bumped up to 8 per province in Dom4.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2014, 09:03:13 pm »

No Statue of War, huh? Personally I'd go with the Dragon King either awake or dormant as a decent SC who can expand underwater, but I'm not an expert on Jomon so I don't know if that's what's best for them.

Thankfully, neither am I.

I really prefer to use default site frequencies, which with late age means 35. There's always EA/MA games for when your mage tooth is itching.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »

Anyway, are we going with the default site frequency? Just asking 'cause I'm a sucker for lots of sites, and the limit did get bumped up to 8 per province in Dom4.

With the watering-down of gem and blood income that came with structural and distributional changes between Dom3 and Dom4, a small bump-up is not necessarily unwarranted, especially since you have a Blood nation and a couple of summon-oriented ones in your lineup. However, as you're LA and have lots of inexperienced players, leaving it at the default is arguably going to give a purer Dom4 experience. In my meddlesome outsider opinion, if you do bump it up, I wouldn't go higher than 40.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:26 am »

I'd like to waffle to Bogarus, having tried LA Agartha more earnestly now. It was cool, but could it be as cool as khlysty, or a master of names? It's also one of the most human nations in one of the most human eras in the game, and there is nothing fancy about dragons and shizz if you're not comparing it to an approachable mortal.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 12:27:24 am »

By all means.

I was close to picking them myself but I figured that playing two -rus nations at once might be overkill. Also they're big on magic. My idea of magic is Evoc4->blow stuff up. I have a feeling that Bogarus could use more finesse than that.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 12:31:30 am »

By all means.

I was close to picking them myself but I figured that playing two -rus nations at once might be overkill. Also they're big on magic. My idea of magic is Evoc4->blow stuff up. I have a feeling that Bogarus could use more finesse than that.

I can pretend I have finesse. I am very good at pretending (that I am good at pretending that I am good at pretending that I am good at pretending . . .)

Communion play and the tiny bit of blood magic sort of intimidates me, even though I prepared for a megagame as LA Ulm by checking how that works and what is good, and the diversity looks like there's a ton of potential for pretty much anything, given the research.

You have a point in two -ruses being something. You've thrown me off, now!
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:17 am »

In about six to ten hours I'll create the game so get ready and polish up your pretenders.

I assume we're going with 14/26.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 01:13:19 pm »

Bogarus has massive potential, let me tell you that. Great mages and great researchers. You have all sorts of options - Thunderstrike, Magma Eruption, Flaming Arrows, Storm Demons, Fivefold Angels, basically lots of stuff that's really good.

I vote we kill Bogarus first, before he gets a chance to use any of it :P

But yeah, it has lots of strengths if it survives long enough to leverage them. And its soldiers are pretty good, so it's pretty feasible that it'll survive. You need communions for that battlemagic, though.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 01:36:38 pm »

It appears to me that the game is up on llamaserver right now. I've already submitted my pretender (hopefully that is not a problem).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41