Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.02 - 6½ months, thanks for playing  (Read 48527 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.02: Game In Progress
« Reply #585 on: June 26, 2014, 12:44:55 am »

So, umm, sorry for accidentally blowing up your army, Bogarus.  Again. 

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

The committee has been deployed in full force. The die is cast, the Rubicon is crossed.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 26, 2014, 06:06:58 pm »

Ah, and the perfidy of the Committee is confirmed.  It was little surprise given the forces massing on our southern border, but given that they could not even overcome our regular province defenses, and certain troop redeployments of late, we find it not especially concerning.  The forests shall endure the undead march, and the false life shall give way before true. 

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 28, 2014, 02:11:51 am »

The Central Committee is mostly destroyed, hehe. I knew I shouldn't have left them on hold and attack, I knew it... aaagh! Well. This even things a little.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 02, 2014, 03:34:09 am »

I remember reading a few versions ago in the patch notes that AI should be a little bit better at thugging.

So naturally Caelum gave his Air Queen a slave matrix :P

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 04, 2014, 06:22:25 am »

Every time, every time! I go to work, and in the first hour at least 402 resolves. Whyyyy! I can't wait. Can not!

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 07, 2014, 04:55:06 am »

I went to sleep, last night, and 2 games I'm in processed their turn less than 1 hour after (and a third game during the night)....
Yet another 20+ hours long turn ...

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:56 am »

Red October, Culise, your sheer brute strength... you almost had me. I can only pray that you are spent now, because I've only got so many throwaway mages. >_>

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:51 am »

...and suddenly, I'm really, really worried about the turn results.  From that "almost," I'll have to bring another army south, I take it? :P

EDIT:
Yep, I got ripped to pieces, there.  I'll have to take some time to rework the orders again, but it looks like it's time to send in another army into the hungry maw of your offensive force.  ^_^
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:39:34 pm by Culise »

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
December 27, 2013 - July 14, 2014
« Reply #594 on: July 14, 2014, 05:46:00 am »

So come brothers and sisters
For the struggle carries on
So come brothers and sisters
For the struggle carries on
The Internationale
Unites the world in song
So comrades come rally
For this is the time and place
The international ideal
Unites the human race.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:16:27 am by lijacote »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.02 - 6½ months, thanks for playing
« Reply #595 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:52 pm »

And so it ends.  The demi-humans no longer roam the wilds of the forests, corrupted and twisted by disease and curses of anger that befall those who march those wilds.  The trees grow gnarled and twisted, untended by the gentle hands of dryads.  The bacchanalian debaucheries of the satyrs fade from the memory of men and women, and the wisdom of the pan descends like fallen leaves, vanishing like grass before an all-consuming flame.  Of the harpies, only those few distant souls yet remain, those who fled their homes and sought refuge in stealth, hiding themselves from the wrath of the vengeful bloody divinity that now holds sway.  The Mother Oak lies withered, its once-beautiful fruit tainted by the foul and unholy magics that have tortured this land, the deep mines from whence sprung the wellsprings of Holy Terra herself now dry of all.  To the north, the Path of Night, once a route from which one could see the beauty of the stars and moon, now mourns under an eternal shroud of darkness.  The Harem of Secrets, the seat of the Throne of Fire, yet burns, though none see it any longer, to revel in its warmths.  The Silent Glen has become its name in truth, the Throne of Air under the bloody yoke of the Revolution unending.  Within the deepest part of the Old Forest, an ancient monument yet stands, the figure of a woman with hands outstretched heavenward, seemingly untouched by the ravages that have rent the woodlands asunder.  It is said that its stone visage once moved and spake, awakened from its imprisonment by the glories of the worship, the homage once paid to it by the demihumans of the world.  Its power over nature unparalleled, bound to the Earthmother herself through roots of stone, an ancient heretical spirit once governed over these untrammeled wilds, her knowledge, glory, and wisdom on the lips of those who sought her council.  It is said that the Kings of the Elemental Earth once obeyed her will, and that the lands themselves burst bountiful with the fruits of the harvest.  It is said that she parted the seas to make way for her followers, that the winds themselves deigned to hear her and the Wind Masters that once called her halls home.  Many things have been said, once upon a time, of the Lady of Growth, the Peacemaker. 

But today, none can say.  For as all know, stone cannot speak, though it may yet weep. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 14, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

GG. thanks for playing everyone, whether still standing or long dead.

I guess I could have gone AI when I lost my capital without much effect, but eh. Maybe next game. It was my first late game so I didn't really have a plan or the pretender built for stuff. Not that I strictly lost because of that.

Some ramblings about the game from Jomon's perspective:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I decided to compile a few diplomatic tidbits to a different spoiler. It's all paraphrasing, but I guess some might find this interesting.
Spoiler: Diplomacy for Jomon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Some final words (click to show/hide)

Here's a little something melancholic for those who wish to mourn the passing of their pretenders.
Remix from Chrono Trigger

I may still remember some things after posting this, but that's my preliminary GG post. Also graphs.

Spoiler: Province Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fort Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Income Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gem Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dominion Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Army Graph (click to show/hide)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »

Once again, I'm sorry for bailing out before the end guys. But, you know, can't fix fatigue and lack of enthusiasm. You guys were all cool though and I wish that I could have stuck with the game for longer.

Also, I wish to remind everyone that I had Drain 2 and still managed to have the 3rd highest research in the game for a long time. What the heck guys?

Also also, I was LA Caelum and didn't instantly die. Yay me.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:51 pm »

Holy wow big posts. Time to read.

Edit: Thanks for the summary, it was neat to see the charts after it's all said and done. And yeah, I need to be more ruthless and more diplomatic in general, I think. I also need to practice my mid/late game, but there's no good way to do that. Oh well!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:58:07 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 14, 2014, 08:07:51 pm »

I actually agree that I played very passively, but the major problem was that in the end, I had nowhere to expand - the capital map should make this very plain.  Midgard's capital literally stood astride my only exit north, and in the south, Bogarus was not that much better; my continued survival is almost solely owed to the fact that these two valued me more as a buffer zone and convenient forger than they valued the two thrones I was sitting on - Midgard in particular was very forbearing of the fact that I had effectively seized a throne that by right of proximity should belong to them.  That was likely in large part because, as Bogarus demonstrated at the end of the game, they could take those thrones from me at any time if ever they needed one or the other.  The only way to expand was by conquering one of my neighbours, but every time I even hinted at it, it was pretty much quickly and brutally shot down by everyone I approached.  Unlike Boksi in Patala, I had no desire to embark on a one-sided war that would bring the wrath of everyone down on me, so I started building up for maritime adventures, since that was the only avenue left to me.  Unfortunately, Pangaea is not a maritime country at all; by the time I had a small force set up in spite of all the combined resources I could bring to bear on it, both Mictlan and Jomon were busily chomping up the ocean, and Bogarus had already eaten the lake.  And then Mictlan demonstrated the wastefulness of my actions by one-shotting my expansion force with a single backhand, leaving me with a handful of unarmored Triton indies and a single Pan that, by dumb luck, was late to the battle. 

Ultimately, I finally did manage to latch on to a war against one of my neighbours (Midgard, as it turned out), but in the end, that was too little, too late.  I never even got to use my pigeon bombs against Midgard's casters; they ended up going up against a full raiding force, which ended in...ah, flames.  And not the good kind, either. ^_^
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:09:41 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41