Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.02 - 6½ months, thanks for playing  (Read 48131 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.02
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 08:11:01 pm »

I just realized something.  Out of curiosity, how do we create more than 10 level 2 thrones?  I thought the maximum was 20/10/5. 

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »

I just realized something.  Out of curiosity, how do we create more than 10 level 2 thrones?  I thought the maximum was 20/10/5.

I just sort of assumed that you can put as many thrones as you want.
So I just checked it and in-game the max is ten lvl2 thrones.
After that I checked llamaserver's game creation tool and it enables a max of 20/15/5.

So 0/14/0 is possible, at least for PBEM.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 11:12:44 am »

Ummmmmmm... Can I join? Looks like the map/conditions you're thinking of using has room for another, so I'm hopeful. I don't much care about nation because, while I played a bunch of Dom3 and own Dom4, I still need to fiddle around and figure out who I like LA.

Edit: Looks like I'll likely be Midgård.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:53:00 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 02:09:27 pm »

You're in.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

The more, the merrier.

Anyway, can we talk about thrones? I'm not convinced that a bunch of level 2s is the way to go. I happen to quite like many of the level 1 thrones, and would probably enjoy something closer to a 12/4/2 distribution, or something like that.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.02: Looking For Players
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »

They're still quite negotiable. Thrones in particular caused some disagreements for round 401 pre-game.

Talk is what I've been trying to provoke out of you.

I'd gladly play with 12/4/2 (or somesuch) throne amount. What would be a good point value for victory? 16/26? 18/26? 20/26?
12/4/2 thrones and 18/26 points for victory sounds good to me. Discuss.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 04:57:36 pm »

I have no objection to it, either.  18/26, or around 70%, seems like a good supermajority in points/power without being overkill, and requires at a bare minimum 10 of the 18 thrones, which will mean around half the map assuming an equitable distribution of thrones spatially with a lopsided distribution point-wise (that is, it should require control of more of the map assuming an even distribution of the thrones by points).  That many thrones means around 12% of the map will be thrones; we might have an issue where a player gets stuck with a level 3 throne right next to their starting spawn blocking an avenue of expansion, but that would be rather unlucky, and depending on which throne (i.e., not the death one), could even be advantageous in the long run. 

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:11 pm »

I'd be happy with even a >50% (as in majority holder), the size of the game means that's still going to be a very strong position. 70% of thrones means you've won the game before that, barring some really decisive and sneaky simultaneous maneuvering - I'd say it's overkill. A nation that strong might very well be insuperable, and the game could be called there and then. That said, I am not opposed to 70%, since I'm not, in all honesty, a real contender for victory. A slugging match between the final competitors is their problem, not mine!

The above statement should be seen as a only slightly informed opinion, not fact.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:13:39 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »

I'll create the game tomorrow after work. While last minute waffling is allowed, hopefully you can have pretenders ready and sent to the server by sunday. The sooner the better.

@lijacote:
Well it's not unheard of to end the game when the remaining players feel it's done, rather than slugging through to the defined end state ie. victory screen. But it's a fair point, I give you that.

I feel that low % requirement for victory fits better with blitzes/high-level play, while higher % works well for new to intermediate play. And since Il Palazzo isn't here... :P

I guess I just don't want this game to end "short". And at this point very few people have good experience on what constitutes good throne settings so it's not like we can really make any obviously wrong choices here. That said if democracy feels that 14/26 is the way to go, then by all means. It could be fun that way too.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »

I'd be up for splitting it and going something like 16/26. I'm leaning towards agreeing with lijacote, in that if you control more than half of the thrones, there's probably not much the other people can do about you. Then again I also haven't played multiplayer Dom4, so I don't know how possible it would be to blitz the thrones and win that way if we set the win conditions too low.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »

Put it too low (which even 14/26 is not) and a powerful bless nation with access to H3, like Mictlan, is at a clear advantage. Even going as low as 33% might not be too bad though. Depends a lot throne density too. I feel it's worth pointing out that the expressed reason for having thrones in the first place was to facilitate games ending before map was painted with one colour only. With that in mind even 16/26 might be excessively large number.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 03:58:16 pm »

Hey,

Would it be possible to add another player ?
I never played multiplayer Dominion and am clearly a bad player, but i'd love to try a "real" game (meaning not against bots) !
I'll go check the PBEM stuff and choose a race as early as possible and will have a pretender ready for tomorrow night ;)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 04:00:43 pm »

Then again I also haven't played multiplayer Dom4, so I don't know how possible it would be to blitz the thrones and win that way if we set the win conditions too low.

This is pretty much my reason for not saying anything. It's hard to talk about throne distribution when you've played no multiplayer games! That being said, 16/26 sounds like a good victory condition to me. A fastish game is fine since it means that we can start up another game sooner and fix all of our stupid mistakes!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 04:06:40 pm »

Sounds good, 14 or 15 might be good then.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 04:33:48 pm »

Sure tompliss, you're in.

re Thrones:
You guys raise a good point. With tompliss in, the newbie to vet ratio got even higher. Based on my first still on-going game I can tell everyone will make some mistakes. The faster this game is over the faster you get to apply what you've learned to another one.
So something in the range of 14-16/26 is where the currents winds blow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41