Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Glasskin - The Glass Kind (Playable Race 00.00.04)  (Read 3209 times)

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glasskin - The Glass Kind (Playable Race 00.00.04)
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:21:50 pm »

GLASSKIN - 'G' - THE GLASS KIND

Just finished my first mod for adventure mode (works fine for Fortress as well). The race is only playable in adventure mode and will likely stay that way.

Description: Glasskin are designed to be a high risk high rewards playable character for adventure mode. Playing a human/dwarf/elf was getting a bit vanilla, and playing as a night creature was getting tiresome. Glasskin work mostly by their custom tissue layers and creature tags, they are basically walking glass cannons. If you can live long enough to hit the stat caps, you will be incredibly powerful.

DL: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8257 (More detailed information in the readme)

Since this is my first mod there might be some issues, but I've tested this a lot in Object Testing and it seemed fine. I loaded up adventure mode killed some giant animals and it seemed to be working as intended. I've only worked on it 2 days so if this has enough interest I will continue to work on it and refine the playable race more. Otherwise it was fun to make at the very least  8)

Willing to hear feedback, in particular I'm worried they are either too weak or TOO powerful. Keep in mind they are meant to be better than the default civilizations.

Recent Changes
Version 00.00.04 - Glasskin healed too quickly which made them 'tanky', now they heal much slower than humans for example... they also feel a bit more pain and their migration during world gen should avoid caves/treecities.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:05:21 pm by nossr50 »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Glasskin - The Glass Kind (Playable Race 00.00.01)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:34:19 pm »

They bleed out almost immediately.  One step and they are bleeding, another couple, bleeding!, and a few later, dead.

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »

They bleed out almost immediately.  One step and they are bleeding, another couple, bleeding!, and a few later, dead.

Are you saying you're bleeding right after gaining control of the character? Or are you saying they lose too much blood from attacks?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:49:40 pm »

Immediate.  Even standing does nothing.  I still bleed out.

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:56:02 pm »

Immediate.  Even standing does nothing.  I still bleed out.

Working on a fix, seems to be a problem with the temperatures.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:01:21 pm »

I also tested them after having gotten rid of their blood (so that they can't bleed out).  The only thing I can say conclusively is that they are nowhere near as overpowered in melee as my infernokin, but I don't have conclusive data on their relative power.

Edit: I added back in blood and reduced their homeotherm value to that of dwarves, still doesn't make a difference.

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glasskin - The Glass Kind (Playable Race 00.00.03)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 11:04:17 pm »

Alright version 00.00.03 fixes the bleed problem, set temperatures incorrectly causing their own send to melt them to death.

DL: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8257

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:35 pm »

The only thing I can say conclusively is that they are nowhere near as overpowered in melee as my infernokin, but I don't have conclusive data on their relative power.

Well without knowing if your mod is going for that angle or not, the glasskind are meant to be overpowered in some ways (like stat growth and their defense mechanisms) yet severely under powered in other ways (like their frail frames). I like a challenge, so I tried to not overdo it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:16:30 pm »

Well, they actually seem to be harder to kill than the average person.  I would whale on one for quite some time with a fairly high level striker glasskin and it just... wouldn't... die.

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:36 pm »

Well, they actually seem to be harder to kill than the average person.  I would whale on one for quite some time with a fairly high level striker glasskin and it just... wouldn't... die.

Were the bones being broken? That's sort of the trick one could say.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:24:31 pm »

The bones were breaking, but it was fighting back just the same.

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 11:30:44 pm »

The bones were breaking, but it was fighting back just the same.

Hmm, you've given me an idea for 00.00.04

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glasskin - The Glass Kind (Playable Race 00.00.04)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 03:04:15 pm »

Version 00.00.04 is out, tweaking glasskin to be regenerate more slowly and feel more pain

-Nerf'd the regeneration for glass-bones (now 2x slower than a humans bones, was 3x faster)

-Glass-skin will heal slower too (now 3x slower than normal)

-Increased pain receptors for sandgas a little

-Should feel much more dangerous to have a bone break now

-Changed where glasskin will migrate to during world generation (now they should avoid caves/tree cities)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 03:08:21 pm »

The avoidance of caves and tree cities does nothing important in the current version except in legends mode, as those sites will not exist until the next version.

nossr50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 03:41:46 pm »

The avoidance of caves and tree cities does nothing important in the current version except in legends mode, as those sites will not exist until the next version.

A lot of stuff falls under the 'not important' category for the current version of the game. But with the next versions release imminent and my plan to try to adopt this mod for that version I figured 'why not change this'. Plus I can't see glasskin living in caves or tree cities anyways :)
Pages: [1] 2