Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 96928 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[this post currently under renovation]

Apparently there's going to be a mobile game? Practically nothing is known about it, though.

Fire Emblem: Fates (3DS), the most recent game in the series, has been released. If you're obsessive about gameplay spoilers, you should probably stay out of this thread, though story stuff is generally kept within spoiler tags.

If you're just looking for a game to play, Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) and Fire Emblem (no subtitle, but it's sometimes referred to as Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword; it was for GBA, originally, but you can also get it on Wii U Virtual Console) are both considered to be good.

Spoiler: original post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:08:35 pm by Elephant Parade »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »

Lunatic/Classic mode is brutal; you actually have to play with tactics to make it anywhere. I've heard that DLC is also pretty much a must-have for it, since you can use it to level your characters in comparative safety without advancing the story, but I haven't gotten up to there yet.

Oh, and there's Lunatic+ mode for those who are truly insane and have finished Lunatic, where pretty much all enemies will have at least one overpowered skill that will give you a headache. (Like Counter on mages, or Luna.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:49:39 pm »

Why anyone would subject themselves to that kind of torture, I have no idea.

Alas, I would like to play Awakening, but don't really want to get a 3DS. I kind of stopped getting mobile game systems a while back....

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »

I tried Lunatic.  Maybe I just don't know how to play it right...  maybe I needed to unlock fancy stuff or something, but it seems more like a savescumfest from the start.

Actually, the first 2-3 maps are beatable, it is when you get the 2nd batch for the crew is where I lose just about everyone, every time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:03:06 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:05:44 pm »

I enjoyed the earlier games and got Awakening for Christmas, but haven't played it yet. Miss the old 2D graphics.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »

I tried Lunatic.  Maybe I just don't know how to play it right...  maybe I needed to unlock fancy stuff or something, but it seems more like a savescumfest from the start.

Actually, the first 2-3 maps are beatable, it is when you get the 2nd batch for the crew is where I lose just about everyone, every time.
I expect high Renown would help, since you would start with extra stat-booster things.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:19 pm »

And then we have Lunatic Reverse...

It's a pretty fun game, and a decent addition to the series, but I have one complaint: critical hits aren't fancy enough. What happened to arrow twirls and gravity-defying axes? I mean, the 3D models probably would've made it a bit more difficult, but fancy criticals were a major part of the fun.
So much this.

My only complaint about the harder difficulties is that it ends up being a minmaxing statfest in order to survive; if you don't 1-shot an enemy most of the time you're screwed.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »

And then we have Lunatic Reverse...

It's a pretty fun game, and a decent addition to the series, but I have one complaint: critical hits aren't fancy enough. What happened to arrow twirls and gravity-defying axes? I mean, the 3D models probably would've made it a bit more difficult, but fancy criticals were a major part of the fun.
So much this.
I also really hate the dance animation. I always turn it off, because it takes FOREVER and is always the exact same. I wish there was a way to make it so that it would only play animations when something interesting happens; i.e. Astra activation, Dual Strike, or whatever.

Also, I miss stealing items. It was difficult, but it was always fun acquiring a neat piece of loot after carefully clearing out everything surrounding one enemy.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 06:24:52 pm »

I agree with those who want the gravity-defying axes to return. THIS...
Spoiler: GIF (click to show/hide)
... was one of my favorite things about the gameboy FE games.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:52:32 am »

Picked up Awakening the other week and have been going through it on Lunatic/Classic. Lunatic starts out frustratingly hard, then the difficulty evens out a bit once you have a few characters that can take hits.

Really glad I didn't quit Lunatic in the unbalanced first few levels, because I've always found regular and hard modes in FE waaaaay too easy. Once Lunatic hits its stride, it feels just right in difficulty.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:29 am »

Picked up Awakening the other week and have been going through it on Lunatic/Classic. Lunatic starts out frustratingly hard, then the difficulty evens out a bit once you have a few characters that can take hits.

Really glad I didn't quit Lunatic in the unbalanced first few levels, because I've always found regular and hard modes in FE waaaaay too easy. Once Lunatic hits its stride, it feels just right in difficulty.

Lunatic+ on the other hand is just bullshit.

"Oh, what's this? An enemy with Hawkeye, Lethality, and Vantage+?"

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 11:28:43 am »

It helps if you don't think of Lunatic+ as a strategy game.  It's a "solve the puzzle" game, like those chess "find mate in X" puzzles.  You have to move just right, but unlike chess, you also have to hope you don't somehow offend the RNG. ^_^

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 02:00:43 pm »

I agree that Hard/Classic felt a bit easy once I hit the mid-game, but that was probably because of the basic strategy I used: a tiny team that was tough-as-nails. (The last quarter basically a team of two (plus partners) steamrolling everything in sight.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »

It helps if you don't think of Lunatic+ as a strategy game.  It's a "solve the puzzle" game, like those chess "find mate in X" puzzles.  You have to move just right, but unlike chess, you also have to hope you don't somehow offend the RNG. ^_^
Does it make the final boss really difficult? On Normal, you can just rush with the tactician using the Book of Naga.

Also, question: is a physical or magical tactician better? I went +Magic/-Strength, but are there better options?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 09:46:34 pm »

Speed > Everything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70