Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon of the Endless  (Read 4454 times)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon of the Endless
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:25:17 am »

Dungeon of the Endless is a Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense game, in which the player and their team of heroes must protect the generator of their crashed ship while exploring an ever-expanding dungeon, all while facing waves of monsters and special events as they try to find their way out... so what could go wrong... open the door!

Been following the game for some time now.Generally its very similar in some aspects to FTL, but without ship to ship combat. It is still in alpha/beta.

You chose a two man starting team (in release, you will also be able to chose your crashing ship, so you will probably have different bonuses/building options from it) and go from room to room to try and find a exit to next level, and at same time try to defend your power core (that you will need to move to the exit to finish the level).

The game is real time and semi turned based, in same way FTL. Combat is in real time, you can pause, but opening doors function as a next turn when you will get resources/more monster attacks, (same as in FTL when you fly from sector to sector, but when in combat it is in real time). You can control your team and move them around, but there is no direct control in rooms, they will fight automatically, operate modules/repair and similar (same as in FTL with your crew). You will need to power your rooms so you can build defenses and different modules on witch your crew can operate to boost its efficiency.

There are 4 resource, industry, science, food and power dust.The first one is only for building stuff, second one is for researching, food is for healing and leveling your team. The last one is for powering your rooms/buying items from traders.

The game is in same universe as endless space and endless legend (and done by same team)

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhfV4qOhxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33ME2Tc26c

Steam page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249050

Pictures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon of the Endless
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:18:01 pm »

Strange that the game did not get more attention here on the forum. Well the game is released, and it is really good. Also reminds me a lot of FTL.
Make love not war

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »

I've still got a grudge against the dev's for never fixing Endless Spaces ridiculously unstable multiplayer, so I'm skipping it.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:55:50 pm »

I dislike their pricing method aswell. It's just weird and fits more to the usual P2W MMOs, imo. Anyhow, a friend let me play the game and it got boring real fast.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 12:22:51 pm »

I played it all yesterday evening, and quite enjoyed it.  :)

+:
It's a game, - and doesn't try to be a simulation. E.g. linking getting new resources to the opening of doors doesn't make sense, but it works very well as a game rule.
It's hard, but not unfair. I.e. it motivated me to try again and again while refining my decisions (and still my record is only 6 out of 12 floors).
There is no down time, but neither stress, as you control the flow by opening rooms.
The random research system (and random characters) keeps the plays fresh.

-:
Almost all the rooms are the same, i.e. it is tempting to use the same setups again and again. It seems like a very low hanging fruit to mark some rooms as good for food productions while eithers may be better labs, and that would force me to place the production units in creative configurations.

So it's good entertainment of the 'open a box and deal with the content' type, and the format will make expansions probably.
It is a bit light contentwise, so don't spend the last of your gaming budget on it, but it's not a bad buy.

(I wouldn't worry about the additional content. It is a fair theoretical discussion, but you will get the full experience with 'pixel pack'(
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:47:01 pm »

I do find it a little weird the way they set there stuff up. Generally Founders Packs are better the more of their games you own, since they tend to include bonuses for all of their games in each founders pack. That said if all you want to do is experience the one game I'd totally say you'll be find just picking up the pixel pack.

This last patch just added multiplayer to the game, which will probably be horribly buggy and doesn't currently work cross-platform, but there is always room for future improvements.

As for Endless Space, they have said rather publicly that once Endless Legend gets a bit closer to a playable state they are going to be at least going back and working on some bug-fixing for Endless Space, which kinda makes sense. They are a rather small company and would probably be trying to stretch themselves a little thin trying to manage all 3 games developing simultaneously. (Of course it's the same thing as before, where I think it's a little weird they decided to try adding another game before finishing the first one, but hey, they're French. Who knows how their thought process works. ;) [No offense intended to any french people here]).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:50:58 pm »

As for Endless Space, they have said rather publicly that once Endless Legend gets a bit closer to a playable state they are going to be at least going back and working on some bug-fixing for Endless Space, which kinda makes sense. They are a rather small company and would probably be trying to stretch themselves a little thin trying to manage all 3 games developing simultaneously. (Of course it's the same thing as before, where I think it's a little weird they decided to try adding another game before finishing the first one, but hey, they're French. Who knows how their thought process works. ;) [No offense intended to any french people here]).

Over two years after release is way to long to wait for bug fixes.  :P I had bought it 4 months after release expecting it to be pretty much bug free.  Even if they do fix things, I'm still not planning to buy any of their games. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:52:39 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »

i've had no idea that they already went out of alpha (since they were so skimpy on the info).
the game as of itself isn't bad but it's a far shot from good by any means of the term.
the multiplayer is ridden with bugs, content is lacking and honestly i kinda feel as though i'm playing a flash game 

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:26:53 pm »

Really like the game. Not counting multiplayer that I dont care about, singleplayer is really good. A lot of content, around 4 different ships with some interesting play styles. A huge number of different heroes that you can unlock. Even better is when they communicate between them or even kill each other if you par up two heroes that dont like each other (or get passive bonuses if they like each other). So much atmosphere went in the game, from art to sound.

The problems I have with the game is as in FTL the game is very random. Rooms can have random events, everything can go good, until one of your rooms get hit by EMP with all turrets disabling, and at the same time a huge horde of monsters attack you, so you need to move your people that operate in rooms to defend and lose some income/bonuses because of it/die trying on harder dif.

So far, found one bug where you can not sell/buy item, but if you reload the game it fix its self. Hear there are problems with multi as for some the game lags, but this is first and mostly a single player game, multi is just a small addition, so I dont have problems with it.

Very unique game.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:42 pm »

Short-ish vid on the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OYAI-xKIo

Shows a few of the mechanics etc. It's a great lil game, well worth picking up.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:51:15 am »

RPS review is out, and they loved it!

"As for Dungeon of the Endless, there’s nothing to rank alongside it. Influences and borrowings be damned – it stands alone and is as brilliantly designed, challenging and cunning a package of ideas and aesthetic choices as anything I’ve seen this year. Short-form but a long-term commitment."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/31/review-dungeon-of-the-endless/
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 08:13:52 am »

Nice review from Northernlion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOufoEk3vuA

Played a shit ton of this game. Unlocked almost all ships. This is my next FTL game  :)
Make love not war

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:26:53 pm »

This game is stealth -50% off for the next two days, because Endless Legend is featured on Steam's Turkey Day sale.

US$6.49 for the plain version, US$9.99 for the deluxe version.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
multiplayer?
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 11:54:59 am »

I just bought this game (Crystal Edition). Anyone want to host a multiplayer session with me? I will put it on youtube. Add me (FakerFangirl) on Steam!

Aww heck - I'll make a Discord for anyone who wants to play! That way we you can see when we are online :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:15:48 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username