Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 96825 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!
« Reply #990 on: March 26, 2017, 10:37:29 am »

Well that's kinda garbage. Archers need some sort of weakness and an inability to fight adjacent enemies makes as much sense as anything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 26, 2017, 10:43:37 am »

A lot of things in this trailer are making me nervous. Mages casting from health is a big one. The video uses the example of summoning(!!) but does that mean it extends to all spells, or just special ones? Maybe only Dark magic? And does this mean weapon QL is still off the table?

I'm really liking the new world map, though. It looks pretty cool. So does something else I forgot about but still wanted to mention here...
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 26, 2017, 11:32:53 am »

Archers have piss-poor accuracy and/or speed, IIRC. Mages casting from health was a main feature in the original Gaiden; the trade off is that they learn spells with levels and can use any of them whenever they want. Just keep a healer nearby and they should be OK. Items in Gaiden were just things you gave people that never ran out and provided boosts; they ranged from shields and rings to upgraded weapons. In the original you only had one item slot. Summoning monsters was also a feature in the original Gaiden, you could summon ghost soldiers to do battle for you in a manner not entirely dissimilar to the Summoner of Sacred Stones fame, presumably as a counter to the "monster box" Shaman enemies that produced infinite numbers of monsters until you killed them.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 26, 2017, 01:59:48 pm »

never mind these are all good
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:07 pm »

I want to post a retrospective, in that I've been tongue-bathing FE 4 for forever now, but in reality it is a game that I haven't started up in nearly a decade, so I thought I'd do that just to get some perspective in how it measures up to my *current* tastes and attitudes. So in all fairness, I want to post some things that are just wrong with it:

Alot of things are really pointlessly slow: I always played the game on an emulator, so I had the miracle of having a button that just doubles the emulation speed on the ready at all times, but when I attempted to deliberately ignore it, I was getting antsy and impatient all the time. Text just moves slow, even when you're spamming the button to speed it up it'll slow back down if you don't keep spamming. Just little transitionary things like going into and out of battle. The AI's 'thinking' phase can be just a solid couple of seconds of literally nothing happening. It was probably just a limitation of the hardware at the time, but it can't be ignored.

Nearly No Convenience Features: I completely forgot this one, but starting it up I realized "Hey, there's no button to press to check where the enemy can move or attack, I have to manually check every enemy again..." which gets old fast and slows down gameplay unnecessarily. There's also the fact that unlike in the future games, there's no quick way to tell if you can double attack an enemy. IIRC the formula for it is easy, the character just needs to have the pursuit skill and 50% more modified speed than the enemy. What is the modified speed? O' just speed minus weapon weight, but the only way to check is to go into your and the enemy character's stat pages and do the math yourself. Fortunately, the game gives you some of the fastest characters, but during those exceptional moments when you're not 50% faster, it can take you by surprise. One of the reasons I liked the FE series so much is that the stats are simple enough that you can do the necessary calculations in your head on the fly, whereas in most RPG's the stats have no special meaning but to look at them go up and trust that bigger numbers = better, but here the game I feel is asking too much mental calculation the players' part.

Speaking of modified speed...

The Weapon Triangle system is Stupidly Unbalanced: I'm sure any FE fan has this RPS relationship memorized: Sword > Axe > Spear > Sword. In FE4, there's an extra RPS system for magic where it goes Fire > Wind > Lightning > Fire, with an extra tidbit where light and dark magic beat all of them, in addition to beating eachother simultaneously. All that kinda sounds like it'd make for some deep strategic gameplay, but you can forget all of it because the reality is that Swords and Wind magic beat everything. Why? Because they're the lightest, while only being slightly weaker. In a game with permadeath, having defensive stats is everything, and the best defense is just not getting hit at all, which is helped enormously by a high speed stat, which is best when it is not being dragged down by the extremely heavy weight of your weapon. Take into account the difference between your iron sword and your iron axe, both on the same level as far as weapon tiers go, but the sword has 3 weight, while the axe has 12. Now, while the axe does have a higher attack power, it's not four times more powerful. Spears are similarly heavy, so while spears do *technically* beats words in the triangle, they're still outclassed because they're so heavy in relation to swords. The same is true for wind magic, even the thing that counters it, fire magic, is still beaten by it because wind magic is so fast in comparison. What this translates into is that everything that is not sword or wind magic based winds up being the most used and most highly leveled because they can engage the enemy without having to worry about them eating hits and dying unceremoniously. While, throughout the course of the game, you do get the fortune of getting the best sword and wind magic users in the game on your side, it makes the system feel more stale than it needs to be.

Armors are nigh-useless: While I mentioned that defensive stats beat everything, you'd think that armors would be highly useful then? Well, you'd be right! The low speed they're plagued with is not a big deal since you need special skills in order to double on an enemy, and that nearly never comes into play since most enemies don't have skills. HOWEVER... This game has huge maps, and not only that, it frequently puts you on a time limit since you need to race across the map in order to save a town that is being slowly destroyed. What this translates into is that Horse-mounted units are the best because they have the highest movement, and FE4 mounted units are actually the strongest in the entire series due to being able to Move, Attack, and then move again with remaining movement points. Training up your *one* armored unit to where he is relevant is extremely difficult, and even his designated job of defending the castle nearly never comes up cause there is *I Think* only two or three points in the game where the AI will try to score a victory through a castle takeover, and even then there are better units for the job.

Cavalry is overpowered: In fact, any unit on foot is very easy to forget, because horse mounted units can get to the fight faster and finish up before the foot mounted units even arrive. Movement can get boosted with a ring, but that's a pretty late game item. Moreover, when the tables are turned and you're being chased down by horse mounted units, the maliciousness of the AI is thrown into high gear as they're all able to single out the weakest unit of yours in range and guarantee that they die.

There are dumb, obtuse secrets: Some of the best items in the game are hidden in just random spots. In order to get the Brave Axe, you need to get your one axe using character and have him stand in a really awkward out of the way spot. To get the pursuit ring, same thing with your armour. Just so many great items that are not hinted at in any way that you would need a guide to find, and my rule is that if it needs a guide, it's a flaw of the game.

Oh yeah, and you're being graded: One of the flaws of the series is that the permanency of every mistake encourages an extremely slow, methodical, cautious playstyle. At the very end of the game, you're being graded on how fast you completed the game, in turns. There's actually a subsystem in the game wherein how well you're doing according to this grading scale affects the "Leader Stars" your commander unit has, which in turn gives units within a certain radius of that leader character a small bonus to evasion. This subsystem is never explained, it had to be deduced through trial and error. This one is not that big of a deal, but it gets under my skin whenever a game is secretly judging me and punishing me for what I feel is correct and proper play...

These last three complaints apply to FE4, but they apply equally to all FE games:

Permadeath encourages slow play: From the previous complaint, permadeath just encourages extremely slow play. That any mistake is punished forever gets the blood pumping, but it also makes the game kinda boring since optimal play is inching your units forward, singling out enemies, and never taking any chances because the RNG at any time could decide to be utterly cruel and malicious...

the heavy emphasis on RNG in a strategy game is stupid: In FE, there is no such thing as a perfect plan. Anything and everything you do can be spoiled by the RNG. 90% hit chance on four attacks? You can still miss every single one and your character dies because of it. 10% evasion chance? Enemy can still hit every attack and your character dies because of it. Everything go according to plan and your character levels up? Haha no stat increases at all... For a person like me that views all games as big, complicated puzzles that should have 'solutions', the presence of unpredictable elements that can't be planned for no matter how much mental effort you pour into the game is infuriating.

Leveling Systems lock you into a strategy and reduce your choices: While there are spots in the game you can grind for exp, they're all extremely slow, boring, and monotonous. If you ignore them however, you're quickly forced with the choice of which characters you want to level up and which ones you should shun completely. Characters need to be leveled up in order to remain relevant as the game progresses, and some need intense leveling just to not be useless at all, and that is troubled by the fact that there is finite Exp in the game. So you have to make your choices, and then some characters are just going to be cheerleaders: Sitting on the sidelines and not doing anything while the small handful of characters that were chosen get to do everything, and in fact they HAVE to do everything because by that point you can't renege on your choice. And those chosen few characters is going to include your main character, who in fact can solo the two levels in which he gets his best weapon, so those levels the best choice is just have that one character do everything, and shun everyone else... and that frustrates me because watching your characters grow and become good, useful characters is one of the primary joys of playing Fire Emblem for me, and it pains me that the best choice is to ignore them...

So there, now I feel like I'm no longer afflicted with that dreaded disease: "fanboyism"

In other news I just discovered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdNL0K6Txo

Hmmm, a FE mod with everything randomized. Consider me extremely interested.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:48:14 pm by JoshuaFH »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 04, 2017, 05:05:44 pm »

See, it's reasons like those that I'm really hopeful for a remake of FE4. A lot of people really liked it despite even the more clearly evident flaws, so a remake that modernizes the game and addresses those issues might just end up being one of the best Fire Emblem games ever made.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 04, 2017, 05:09:33 pm »

... What this translates into is that Horse-mounted units are the best because they have the highest movement, and FE4 mounted units are actually the strongest in the entire series due to being able to Move, Attack, and then move again with remaining movement points. ...
Cavalry is overpowered:
The middle part (better Canto) is also true for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

The last part is true for basically every Fire Emblem, except where dismounting is required for them to fight indoors. Maybe not to the extent of Horse Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy Horse, but fliers and horses are historically a step above foot units, even with worse stats, with only a few exceptions (Basically Ike, Raven, and Warp staff users, from my experience)

In other news I just discovered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdNL0K6Txo

Hmmm, a FE mod with everything randomized. Consider me extremely interested.

From my experience with the FE7/FE8 randomizers, expect balance to go completely out the window. It's interesting initially, but I've not loved it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 04, 2017, 05:34:01 pm »

actually in fire emblem fates silas is mounted by default and his weak ass gets shredded by the ninjas in chapter 10 while everyone else except three people don't get doubled
Black lives matter.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 04, 2017, 05:50:56 pm »

actually in fire emblem fates silas is mounted by default and his weak ass gets shredded by the ninjas in chapter 10 while everyone else except three people don't get doubled
The things except for the last 3 points are specifically targeted at Fire Emblem 4. Fates is not the fourth game :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 04, 2017, 05:54:48 pm »

I wasn't responding to that post, I was responding to the one above mine
Black lives matter.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 04, 2017, 06:41:57 pm »

Silas is fine. I've not played Birthright, but he has a gazillion potential pair ups for speed, which is his only real issue. He's good in conquest, too, if overshadowed by Xander (alongside everyone who isn't Camilla or Cornbread). Although Fates (Conquest particularly) shouldn't be an example of mounts not being broken, since all the Nohr royals are mounted and great, Corrin's absurd and even moreso if you reclass them into paladin, Jakob on F!Corrin as an early reclass into paladin is fantastic, Gunter gives great stats to Corrin if you turn him into a backpack.

Now, I'm not saying literally every horse ever is amazing, and the downright broken ones have absurd stats on top of being mounted (coughsethcoughcough), but in general, horses and fliers are better than footlocked units.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 04, 2017, 07:03:36 pm »

Isn't the jagen guy of the game generally always a mounted unit too?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 04, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »

So I found out that Fire Emblem X SMT game came out.

And I found out why no one really cared... because it featured character crossovers but it was somewhat divorced from the mechanics of both series.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 04, 2017, 08:12:16 pm »

So I found out that Fire Emblem X SMT game came out.

And I found out why no one really cared... because it featured character crossovers but it was somewhat divorced from the mechanics of both series.
Yep. It turned out eh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 04, 2017, 09:02:55 pm »

I stated this when I was mistaken about the release date a few months ago, but the best thing to come out of that was easily Chromsteel.

Also what is with option 2 in the thread poll? Gaiden is nothing like Fates, and from what I've heard the same holds true for SoV.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 70