Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 96989 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 09:49:04 pm »

Speed > Everything.
Really? I was doubling everything even without +Speed.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:35:16 pm »

Picked up Awakening the other week and have been going through it on Lunatic/Classic. Lunatic starts out frustratingly hard, then the difficulty evens out a bit once you have a few characters that can take hits.

Really glad I didn't quit Lunatic in the unbalanced first few levels, because I've always found regular and hard modes in FE waaaaay too easy. Once Lunatic hits its stride, it feels just right in difficulty.

Lunatic+ on the other hand is just bullshit.

"Oh, what's this? An enemy with Hawkeye, Lethality, and Vantage+?"
It helps if you don't think of Lunatic+ as a strategy game.  It's a "solve the puzzle" game, like those chess "find mate in X" puzzles.  You have to move just right, but unlike chess, you also have to hope you don't somehow offend the RNG. ^_^
Does it make the final boss really difficult? On Normal, you can just rush with the tactician using the Book of Naga.

Also, question: is a physical or magical tactician better? I went +Magic/-Strength, but are there better options?
I...never actually got that far.  I'm actually really terrible at chess puzzles.  Actually, I'm just terrible at finishing games in general.  I've been sporadically playing through the chapters on the second continent for the last year, almost. ^_^

Speed really is king, though, no matter what class you are.  As far as physical or special, I think that you can't really say one or the other is "better", per se.  Well, except for things like maximizing things so that as many children get Galeforce as possible (because free turns breaks the action economy) and aiming for third-generation Morgan if possible (since children inherit extra stat growth/caps from their parents; a third-gen Morgan inherits bonuses from two generations of parents on one side instead of just one).  The only real warning I've heard on character design, apart from never taking Speed as a flaw, is for if you ever do a gish build and combine both physical and magical powers, in which case you do not want to take Luck as a flaw - that reduces both Strength and Magic.  Reduce Defense; that literally the only stat flaw that doesn't affect your strength, magic, or your speed, all of which are critical, even though it does make you squishier.  It's really only essential to min-max in Lunatic, Lunatic+, and certain DLC maps, though, so it's not something to fuss o'ermuch about otherwise, I think. 

Though, between +Magic/-Strength and +Strength/-Magic, I'd have to side with the former in the case of min-maxing.  Checking Serenes Forest, a Magic flaw actually reduces your Speed cap, while a Strength flaw loses Skill.  You'd think it the other way around, but...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:37:05 pm by Culise »

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 06:24:10 am »

Good day to everyone.

I wish to try this franchise, so could you recommend me a good game to start?  Because I'm sure that I wont be able to try all of them, so I think it would be best to try a piece that was well met by the fans and so on.

Thanks in advance for advices.

Feed 'em please)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 09:32:07 am »

*Shrug*  Try the newest one?  Fire Emblem: Awakening?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 10:58:36 am »

Good day to everyone.

I wish to try this franchise, so could you recommend me a good game to start?  Because I'm sure that I wont be able to try all of them, so I think it would be best to try a piece that was well met by the fans and so on.

I rented Radiant Dawn once. It was okay. I'd say Awakening, or Radiant Dawn if you have a Wii and not a 3DS.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 10:31:07 pm »

BUMPED due to pressure from *own* thread.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:42 pm »

Posting to watch and provide Fire Emblem: Awakening advice.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »

Soooo, to kick off the discussion...

Got Path of Radiance for Christmas. Liking it so far, but Chapter 11 is a huge friggin' difficulty spike. First there was the fact that Boyd kept dying, then the Black Knight randomly came out of that totally random house in the middle... and up until around the part where Greil dies this thing was a piece of cake.

Should I start being more gratuitous in handing out bonus EXP or something?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 11:04:29 pm »

Good day to everyone.

Well, the best place to start is probably Fire Emblem: Sword of Flame (Just called Fire Emblem in the West) for Gameboy Advance. It has a long and comprehensive tutorial that teaches you all the mechanics, and leaves you in a good place to play the rest of it without confusion.

I feel that the two translated GBA titles are stronger than the Gamecube and Wii ones (due to the latter's focus on long story segments and messy transforming animal people gimmicks, and the former's more on straight gameplay and clarity).

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 11:06:22 pm »

Fire Emblem Awakening is also decent. It's on the 3DS, and is probably one of the more accessible ones.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:33 pm »

Seconding Fire Emblem Awakening.

If you do decide to play it first, I'd recommend setting it to Normal and Casual. The enemy armies can pull some dumb stuff on Hard, and you'll be doing plenty of resetting if you play on Classic.

Edit: Darn it, Tawarochir. If you had just waited another eight days, you could have revived the thread a year after it was first posted in.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:14:25 pm by Elephant Parade »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »

Hey guy remember Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones? and how fucking awesome it was???????
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 11:34:38 pm »

Also +1-ing Awakening. Excellent game.

Speaking of Awakening, I'm tempted to ask you people who you married. I'm a bit curious as to who the most popular spouses on Bay12 are.

In case you haven't sighted my loudly vocal (possibly a bit obnoxious) mentions of it, I married Nowi.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 11:58:58 pm »

Hey guy remember Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones? and how fucking awesome it was???????
It was the first FE game I played where the lord characters that are required in every map were not total garbage. Hector being the exception of course. Hector is awesome.

Then Ike comes along and blows them all out the water.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 12:28:33 am »

Yes, it's my favorite one. Monsters, arena fighting, dungeons, random battles; It was unique.

Screw the haters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 70