Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97724 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: what
« Reply #870 on: May 18, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »

Go with 7. It's the perfect introduction to the series and will give him three campaigns to play through.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 18, 2016, 05:34:47 pm »

Seconded.  Most FE games have SOMETHING about them that is questionable.  FE 7 is a solid, clean, generic offering with nothing making it hard to recommend.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 18, 2016, 06:02:11 pm »

I'd go with FE7 to start, and FE8 if FE7 gets too hard for him.

If he doesn't have any experience with strategy games, FE8 is probably a better bet, since you can't ruin an FE8 game forever. Actually, if that's the case, it might be better to start him out with something that doesn't involve permadeath—Final Fantasy Tactics, maybe?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 18, 2016, 06:12:09 pm »

As long as he understands the golden rule (restart if someone dies) he should be fine.  FE 7 is fairly liberal about providing you with powerful characters at regularly intervals.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 18, 2016, 06:17:18 pm »

As long as he understands the golden rule (restart if someone dies) he should be fine.  FE 7 is fairly liberal about providing you with powerful characters at regularly intervals.
Yeah, but "restart whenever someone dies" could get frustrating pretty fast for someone who doesn't know how to keep people alive—and, if the person in question hasn't played strategy games, that's pretty likely.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 18, 2016, 07:08:54 pm »

you can't ruin an FE8 game forever.
Yeah, that was why I was thinking maybe 8. I think he'd get a good grasp on the tactics from Lyn's story though, he's a pretty quick learner.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 18, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »

hacked nowi-only awakening run
Black lives matter.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:30 pm »

you can't ruin an FE8 game forever.
Yeah, that was why I was thinking maybe 8. I think he'd get a good grasp on the tactics from Lyn's story though, he's a pretty quick learner.
If you think he could get through FE7 without ruining his game, go for it! You should definitely tell him about the importance of EXP management, though.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem
« Reply #878 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:24 pm »

Oh yeah, of course. I won't go out of my way to describe the nuances of the mechanics or anything, but I'll make sure to tell him to reset when someone dies, to try to feed kills to weaker units, and not to be afraid to stop using somebody who's not turning out well.

Man, I really wish I'd put some research into the game when I first bought Awakening. I ended up with all the following people dead
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
because I assumed everybody did Ironman runs all the time and that I'd get a steady supply of new units the whole game, rather than the supply tapering off and ending up with just getting a couple of pre-promotes in the last few levels (e.g. Say'ri at the start of Valm, [Basilio and Flavia after going all Light Yagami on Validar.].) Additionally, I didn't realize that EXP was a valuable commodity worth its weight in gold, or that bad level-ups were even a thing--I just kind of assumed that all level-ups were good level-ups because of experience with traditional RPGs. I had to grind my way out of that situation, even then like five people got killed on Endgame :c

But anyway, he'll probably like  at least one of the two stateside GBA titles; if 7's not his thing, I'll show him 8, they've both got their charms.

You know what, speaking of which, let's talk Sacred Stones, I feel like that doesn't get enough love. What do you guys like in Sacred Stones? I want to say it's my favorite, but I also want to say that Radiant Dawn is my favorite :I
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03:25 pm »

The monsters are kinda neat, I guess, though I wish they didn't hog the postgame so much; Arthur is cool and all, but he hardly deserves triple damage against everything.

The final boss is awful, but almost all FE bosses are awful, so whatever.

...Y'know, I actually don't have anything very nice to say about FE8. It hardly innovated, and most of its innovations didn't turn out too well.

Edit: Actually, I do have one nice thing to say: Its map structure was reused for Awakening, the game that literally saved the series from an early grave. That's pretty good!

On an unrelated note: I am so, so glad that Fates ditched Ninja Reinforcements. Those things were the bane of my existence in Awakening, and there was really no excuse for their existence.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:11:21 pm by Elephant Parade »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 18, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »

That would be Artur, I thought you meant the superheroic Fighter for a sec :P

I don't mind mission pack sequels too much, I guess. I suppose that mechanically, I like the branching promotions, a lord who wields a lance for their main weapon, and the split-paths thing is neat; moreover, I love the plot and characters (Lyon has to be my favorite antagonist in the series), but I've always been just as interested in the fluff aspects of the game as the crunch. To each his own, I suppose.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 18, 2016, 09:12:24 pm »

That would be Artur, I thought you meant the superheroic Fighter for a sec :P
artur is a weird name

I don't mind mission pack sequels too much, I guess. I suppose that mechanically, I like the branching promotions, a lord who wields a lance for their main weapon, and the split-paths thing is neat; moreover, I love the plot and characters (Lyon has to be my favorite antagonist in the series), but I've always been just as interested in the fluff aspects of the game as the crunch. To each his own, I suppose.
Oh, I totally forgot branching promotions; I guess I'm too used to them! Branching promotions are amazing, for sure.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 18, 2016, 09:14:42 pm »

I'd go with FE7 to start, and FE8 if FE7 gets too hard for him.

If he doesn't have any experience with strategy games, FE8 is probably a better bet, since you can't ruin an FE8 game forever. Actually, if that's the case, it might be better to start him out with something that doesn't involve permadeath—Final Fantasy Tactics, maybe?

... But FFT has permadeath...

I'm not sure how Tawa's dad is like, but if he's a gamer that optimizes and minmaxes (like me), he'll realize that the Mathematician class is without a doubt the single most broken overpowered thing to ever be featured in a strategy game, ever, period. It's so powerful it makes the game Unfun.

Oh yeah, of course. I won't go out of my way to describe the nuances of the mechanics or anything, but I'll make sure to tell him to reset when someone dies, to try to feed kills to weaker units, and not to be afraid to stop using somebody who's not turning out well.

Man, I really wish I'd put some research into the game when I first bought Awakening. I ended up with all the following people dead
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
because I assumed everybody did Ironman runs all the time and that I'd get a steady supply of new units the whole game, rather than the supply tapering off and ending up with just getting a couple of pre-promotes in the last few levels (e.g. Say'ri at the start of Valm, [Basilio and Flavia after going all Light Yagami on Validar.].) Additionally, I didn't realize that EXP was a valuable commodity worth its weight in gold, or that bad level-ups were even a thing--I just kind of assumed that all level-ups were good level-ups because of experience with traditional RPGs. I had to grind my way out of that situation, even then like five people got killed on Endgame :c

But anyway, he'll probably like  at least one of the two stateside GBA titles; if 7's not his thing, I'll show him 8, they've both got their charms.

You know what, speaking of which, let's talk Sacred Stones, I feel like that doesn't get enough love. What do you guys like in Sacred Stones? I want to say it's my favorite, but I also want to say that Radiant Dawn is my favorite :I

Man, I wish Ironman runs were an official thing in FE. Like, you'd choose Phoenix, Casual, Classic, or IRONMAN right at the start, and if you chose Ironman, then the game only permits you one save slot, and deletes it at the start of every fight, forcing you to live with every mistake and loss, and if your MC dies, it's instant game over. I feel it could compensate for this by reducing the effect of RNG on levelups, ensuring good ones every time.

But man, actually that would be the most stressful shit ever. For the realest, manliest FE players for sure. Suck it XCOM.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:20 pm »

I'm not sure how Tawa's dad is like, but if he's a gamer that optimizes and minmaxes (like me), he'll realize that the Mathematician class is without a doubt the single most broken overpowered thing to ever be featured in a strategy game, ever, period. It's so powerful it makes the game Unfun.
Nah, he's pretty casual. Like, "newest game he bought for himself is 1996 DOOM" casual. I know he'd like FE--he's got more than enough brainpower for it, and among other things he taught me to play chess when I was five, so he certainly likes strategy games (although he hasn't beaten me since I was ten)--but that causality is one of the reasons I want to start him on Blazing Sword, because I don't want him to get fed up with the difficulty of figuring out the game without an instruction manual, and the first two stateside IntSys titles were, like, the antithesis of trying to learn a game without having an instruction manual.
Man, I wish Ironman runs were an official thing in FE. Like, you'd choose Phoenix, Casual, Classic, or IRONMAN right at the start, and if you chose Ironman, then the game only permits you one save slot, and deletes it at the start of every fight, forcing you to live with every mistake and loss, and if your MC dies, it's instant game over. I feel it could compensate for this by reducing the effect of RNG on levelups, ensuring good ones every time.

But man, actually that would be the most stressful shit ever. For the realest, manliest FE players for sure. Suck it XCOM.
Now that would be a Fire Emblem worthy of Zigludo-chan; one that would truly put Jesus on Wheels to the test.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 18, 2016, 10:21:35 pm »

... But FFT has permadeath...
You can avoid it by reviving the unit, though. I was actually thinking of FFTA, but even FFT's permadeath is a step away from "lol time to restart".
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70