Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221875 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2014, 06:19:26 pm »

Bumblebee Mafia:

Premise: Foreign bees have entered the hive! Protect the honey and the queen!

Setup: All townies can sting. Mafia can't. Day ends when someone gets stung. The stinger and the stung both die and flip. Mafia win when they equal town. Nightless.
That is an amazing idea, but it suffers from a few issues. I think that it's too Town-balanced without modifications.
I don't see it. Please explain why you believe it's unbalanced in Town's favor.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2014, 07:28:28 pm »

Numbers wise it's the same as having nightkills - there'll be one definitely townie and one possibly not town kill per cycle.  The fact that the mafia can't choose who to kill makes it more town-sided in theory, but in practice I think the fact that townies with daykills almost always use them stupidly would wipe out that benefit.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »

Numbers wise it's the same as having nightkills - there'll be one definitely townie and one possibly not town kill per cycle.  The fact that the mafia can't choose who to kill makes it more town-sided in theory, but in practice I think the fact that townies with daykills almost always use them stupidly would wipe out that benefit.
Because it gives the town a double lynch. The town can pick who kills who, and if they refuse they're obviously scum.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:35 pm »

Add the condition that you have to be alive to win.  Then people will have a reason not to.  This does prevent an interesting puzzle: do you die for the good of the hive?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »

Add the condition that you have to be alive to win.  Then people will have a reason not to.  This does prevent an interesting puzzle: do you die for the good of the hive?
Um, no. Nobody would play if you did that. Forcing people to lose so that their team can win would be incredibly annoying for the losers.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 10:19:57 pm »

Because it gives the town a double lynch. The town can pick who kills who, and if they refuse they're obviously scum.
This is true in theory, yes.  But I've read a very similar game to this (the only difference was that the mafia were also suicide bombers) and in that townies screwed themselves over by bombing people out of anger.

That's not to say this game shouldn't be run, it sounds fun and the flavour is good.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:29 pm »

I'd play it, certainly.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:23 pm »

This is true in theory, yes.  But I've read a very similar game to this (the only difference was that the mafia were also suicide bombers) and in that townies screwed themselves over by bombing people out of anger.

That's not to say this game shouldn't be run, it sounds fun and the flavour is good.
It sounds great! It just seems to favour the town a bit.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:58 pm »

Yeah, I'd probably play it too. As scum, it would be interesting watching random people kill each other. As town, it would be fun trying to guess who the real scum are and then taking matters into my own hands.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 11:17:59 pm »

Well you can just adjust the numbers if a mechanic tips the balance of the game.  Mechanic benefits scum?  Add some more townies.  Mechanic benefits town?  Take away some townies.

In this game I'd probably just use nightless numbers and then add one or two townies to make up for the fact that people invariably do stupid things in daykill heavy variants.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 09:01:12 pm »

The Tainted Crown (open, 10 or 14 players)
Once upon a time there was an aging king.  He had but weeks to live, and he feared that a dispute over his successor would tear his kingdom apart.  Not knowing where else to turn, he sought the help of a warlock.
"Please!", said the king.  "Lend me you magic, so that the argument over my succession may be resolved as quickly as possible".

The king was, of course, a fool.  The warlock granted his request.

Roles:
7 townies vs 3 mafia, or 10 townies vs 4 mafia
The mafia does not have a conventional nightkill.

This game is essentially a kingmaker variant.  At the start, the mafia are given some time to talk, and they select who the first town King will be.  After that their quicktopic is locked.

The King is given 4 days (excluding weekends) to decide who should be the next King.  After they've decided, they die, and whoever they chose becomes the new King.  If they fail to pick a successor within the time limit the mafia will get to choose the next King.  The rules are the same for the next King - they have 4 days to make a decision, and once they've made their decision they die.

If a mafia member becomes King the gamethread will be locked and the mafia quicktopic reopened while the mafia decide who to give the crown to next.  The mafia King will, of course, die as soon as they pass the crown on.

The game continues until all members of one faction have been eliminated, or until the outcome of the game is inevitable.  Note that, flavour wise, once all members of one faction are dead the crown stops killing people.  So if the last surviving townie hands the crown to the last surviving mafia member the mafia member survives, and it's a mafia victory.

A vaguely similar setup called Popcorn has been run on mafiascum in the past, but in that the mafia never gets a chance to fire back.  I'd also like to thank Plessiez from there for calculating how many townies and scum should be in this setup.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »

That sounds cool. I'd join it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 10:14:43 pm »

That would be an interesting game to play.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:13 am »

That's exactly the kind of open set up I'd play, Leafsnail. Do the mafia really need a chat for this?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »

I want them to be able to select the first King, and I like giving the mafia at least some contact so that they can work out a general strategy.  It seems better to let the mafia decide who dies after the first day than to diceroll it.  I guess they don't need to talk after that.

I'd probably run the 10 player version and make sure there's a replacement pool (having a lurker king would be bad).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62