Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 218020 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #570 on: January 05, 2018, 12:08:41 pm »

I've thought it over a bit more. Unanimous vote (with neutral voting) would probably work best.
Now on whether to make it so basic rules (like the ability to lynch) are already in play, or if it's truly Build Your Own Rules Mafia (Little name i came up for the concept). If there are no starting rules, i lied, there will be a few rules already in play. (But a rule like, say, 'ignore rule 1' would work to override them)
1. Players can add their own rules, via an unanimous voting system where each player votes on the rule they want to add.
2. Players can choose to neutrally vote when choosing a new rule, in that they no longer have any say in the vote after choosing this, and that their votes are no longer needed for the vote to be "unanimous"

And one meta rule, to make sure it works right:

1. Rules are prioritized from greatest to least, with the first rule having the lowest priority.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:57 pm »

You should probably have some checks in play to prevent things like 'Town votes for a new rule that says 'Town automatically wins''. Scum can't vote against it, or they get lynched, and they can't vote for it or they lose.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 05, 2018, 07:50:54 pm »

You should probably have some checks in play to prevent things like 'Town votes for a new rule that says 'Town automatically wins''. Scum can't vote against it, or they get lynched, and they can't vote for it or they lose.
I mean, I'd vote against that as town, because what fun would that be?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #573 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:07 pm »

Yea. I was thinking player's love of fun would prevent such logical decisions.. but i have a much better horribly bastardized concept i want to try out.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 05, 2018, 08:48:09 pm »

To be fair, in a bastard game you'd have to worry that the mod has a secret rule in place that makes town lose if they put that rule in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #575 on: January 05, 2018, 09:13:30 pm »

To be fair, in a bastard game you'd have to worry that the mod has a secret rule in place that makes town lose if they put that rule in.
Indeed. Would anyone be intrested in playing such a game? I'll host.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #576 on: March 19, 2018, 11:23:36 am »

I've brought a game to Bay 12 I've hosted elsewhere, and while not a mafia, it plays in many ways like one.

Who Goes There?
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 02, 2018, 01:56:24 pm »

I've been throwing around the concept of a bastardized mafia game where the only way to win is for the players to add rules and win conditions themselves. I'm thinking that the vote to add a rule should be 3/4 or unanimous. Looking for some feedback.
Unanimous requirements would force people to come up with fair (or seemingly fair, but hilariously broken) rules that everyone will be ok with adding in. To make this sane(r) i'd allow for neutral votes.
3/4 would work similarly, but has the disadvantage that vilteam could potentially win very rapidly by adding a "vilteam wins"  rule.

It would probably otherwise follow standard mafia rules for roles (wolves kill, seer sees, villagers idle out) but with nonexistent game rules (until they're added)
The rulelawyering would be strong with this one.
I like the concept. Maybe if players voted anonymously, the mafia could cancel out any rule that would make town win immediately...
~~~
I'm thinking about FBYOR 4. In each FBYOR, I select a Theme which changes how the game goes. For example, in FBYOR 3 I selected TvTropes as the theme, allowing players to submit tropes that can be later activated in game.

I'm thinking up some themes for FBYOR 4. And tell you what, I'm putting it to a vote!

Nightless: Mafia with no nights and no mafiakill. Day focused. To compensate for the lack of a mafiakill, the mafia would gain additional players in proportion to the total number of players. If there were a total of 9 players, for example, there would be 3 mafia instead of 2. Three mislynches or three successful lynches win town or scum the game.

RPG: Players have hit points(among other stats), and losing all of them kills you. Furthermore, by accomplishing objectives and surviving, players can gain EXP to level up, unlocking new abilities, improved stats and improvements to old abilities.

Shakeragian: Each player must submit a Shakeragian role instead of a normal one. For example, "The FBYOR 4 Role That Corrupts Votecounts" or etc.

Mass-Submit: Each player submits three roles, one town, one mafia, and one third party. I then choose from the roles and hand them out as appropriate. Players may not necessarily get a role that they submitted. Roles not used may be used in a future FBYOR.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 09, 2018, 05:20:07 pm »

To note, can I set up a game?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 09, 2018, 05:24:42 pm »

Probably could but you should probably wait until one finishes or you won't get enough players.

Seeing as it's your first time modding a game here(unless you have experience from a different forum), you might also wish to grab someone to look over your setup.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 10, 2018, 08:28:33 am »

Unless I'm just totally misremembering, generally speaking if someone just shows up and tries to run a game it almost never gets up off the ground.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 10, 2018, 08:37:52 am »

Unless I'm just totally misremembering, generally speaking if someone just shows up and tries to run a game it almost never gets up off the ground.
That's about right. I'll run a balance check on it, if'n ya want, Tric.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 10, 2018, 08:42:56 am »

K. I send it in a few days. The current Spider game should be over then.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 10, 2018, 08:58:27 am »

K. I send it in a few days. The current Spider game should be over then.
Uh... Okay. Have fun with the spiders.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 13, 2018, 07:25:00 pm »

Should I start setup?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62