Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221874 times)

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #615 on: March 28, 2019, 05:49:54 pm »

Two kills are how many it has to be.
1 kill is the same as a regular lynch. There's no drawback to going for the recycle if the person is scum and it save's the town a kill if they're not.
All kills are unblockable anyway cos I'm not really thinking about setups with a lot of power roles, and b12 doesn't usually have doctors in the more regular games

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #616 on: April 17, 2019, 05:32:28 pm »

You're a piece of shit with no regards for the health of the game or meta
The cringeworthy larping and constant assertion of your own heroism is tiring
You did literally nothing while the game was alive and now you're just shitposting throughout it's corpse.
You could have contributed at any point in the game before day 3, but now you're doing nothing other than being a cunt. You acted like a cunt when you came in, you refused to play as part of the town, and you continued to do nothing but harass and annoy players with no intention of divining intent or role from any of it while you were dead.
I know you don't care, but you might want to consider the people who do.
What exactly is your complaint with me dolores? Like, literally, what is your feedback/critque/criticism, I REALLY don't understand.

That I was "larping", being "heroic", what? What is that even? I am playing a game where I am the hero, literally that.is.the.game. You practically cackled when you revealed mafia.

You called me out on being less civil in the main thread. But you called me...
retarded
a piece of shit
a cunt

And this is you, trying to hold back enough to stay on these forums? It is literally just that I choose not to submit a report you are. You've bullied me and other players, and even the host. You claim you support this subforum, but it's some kind of slanted Darwinian elimination of people not up to your standard. That isn't fostering crap. Much less, community.

By your own admission, I have...
been super active on the rest of the forum
So, yeah I didn't answer 50 questions a day, but I caught up when I could.

I think you are a great player dolores, really, you are. There is a lot this community could learn from you if you stick around. But you can go back to what ever sad whole you crawled out of. The next time your run your mouth, I won't give you another chance.

Nirur doesn't know how to play so I can bully them while I wait
This is not funny.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 17, 2019, 05:50:47 pm »

I realize that people get a bit more...personal in their in-game attacks during mafia games, and we do tolerate it a bit more in this subforum than other places. But do try to be a more civil in the future, folks. We have a hard enough time getting players for mafia games as it is without being overly toxic in our games and driving people off.

Also, as a reminder, while I don't often have to do much in the role I am a moderator on these sub-forums and have the ability to step in if things get out of hand. Feel free to report things to me that you don't feel warrant going all the way up to Toady One.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 18, 2019, 12:08:32 am »

What exactly is your complaint with me dolores? Like, literally, what is your feedback/critque/criticism, I REALLY don't understand.
You're also catching a lot of the vitriol that's built up over the years because of other players like yourself that would join every game and proceeded to run the subforum down.
The fact that you think you did nothing wrong when literally every other active player called you out for it says more than I possibly could.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 08, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »

Here's an idea I just had: Initiative Mafia.

Every player is ranked in an open list which is updated at the start of every day. No player would be able to share the same number. Each player would have a standard ability (protect, block, watch, investigate etc.) but would also have the ability to move any other player one place up or down the list.

Actions in the game would be processed in strict list order. E.g. if your protect is processed after the kill, it won't do anything. With the profusion of roles and high chance of being messed with, there'd be an incentive to put yourself higher on the list. Perhaps the mafia team wouldn't have any special powers other than their kill so they'd be more likely to want to downgrade others-- but would risk outing themselves if they were the only players to do so.

A further possible twist is powers might have different effects on higher or lower ranking individuals (like, a protect against someone lower could count for double; or an inspect against someone higher could have 25% chance of being a false result).

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 14, 2019, 11:41:33 am »

Mafia is a game about voting, but most mafia games use the highly flawed FPTP system. It would be interesting to run a game where every player ranked the other player's in order of who they'd most like to lynch. This would have the side effect of incentivising reads lists and it would give much more content to discuss in the game.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:13 am »

What's the FPTP system?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 14, 2019, 12:27:00 pm »

The first past the post system is the system where voters have one vote and the winner is whomever gets more votes then the next runner up. It means often people are voted for that only a minority in fact prefer.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 14, 2019, 12:30:18 pm »

It's mostly a myth that FPTP is "highly flawed". The truly flawed system is instant runoff.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 14, 2019, 03:08:58 pm »

I don't know what else you would call a system where the most collectively preferred options routinely loses when there are three or more parties or candidates. You're right though that (as seen with Arrows Impossibility Theorem) all voting systems are flawed.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 14, 2019, 05:58:04 pm »

I don't know what else you would call a system where the most collectively preferred options routinely loses when there are three or more parties or candidates. You're right though that (as seen with Arrows Impossibility Theorem) all voting systems are flawed.
I don't consider that unreasonable, personally. FPTP is designed to select the candidate who is the top choice of the largest subgroup of people. "Collective preference" is not something that it considers, nor should it. FPTP just tries to maximise the number of people whose first choice is selected; there's nothing objectively wrong with that as a selection criterion.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 14, 2019, 06:20:40 pm »

Hm, yes... Readlist Mafia does sound interesting, tho.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 30, 2019, 03:29:15 pm »

Here's another idea I had: if mafia was a modern boardgame (and it kinda is with the likes of One Night Werewolf) then there'd be mechanics to ensure that all players were able to play until the end. So nobody is sitting board on the sidelines. So I have an idea for...

Ghost Mafia

It's like regular mafia, except dead players don't have to leave the game when they die. They can keep posting in the thread and keep trying to get their picks lynched. They'd lose the ability to make votes and lose any night actions, but they could still make cases and try to be active. To avoid there just being a core of confirmed-town players making life a living nightmare for the bad guys, perhaps this game would be ran without alignment flips!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 30, 2019, 09:54:55 pm »

Ooh. Now that's a cool idea! Alternatively, flip the power structure. The living are mostly powerless, while the dead gain more powers depending on how may dead there are. They can't kill of course, but they can interact with the living at night and maybe run night actions to try to solve the mystery!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 30, 2019, 11:09:11 pm »

Ghost Mafia

It's like regular mafia, except dead players don't have to leave the game when they die. They can keep posting in the thread and keep trying to get their picks lynched. They'd lose the ability to make votes and lose any night actions, but they could still make cases and try to be active. To avoid there just being a core of confirmed-town players making life a living nightmare for the bad guys, perhaps this game would be ran without alignment flips!
It's good.
Personally, I don't think alignment flips matter. You can draw meta-conclusions based on them (knowing how certain players play esp. regarding scumchat in the QT) and there exists a game of wifom around that, but that's a pretty boring type of play in and of itself not to mention thwarting it relies almost entirely on acting in bad faith which seems like it defeats the whole purpose of playing the game.
Also encourages a 'don't sign up if you don't want to play' mentality. It's somewhat newbie hostile, but that's not really a bad thing anyhow.

I like it. I'd be super interested in a vanilla ghost mafia game.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 62