Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 222334 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #645 on: November 09, 2020, 09:31:52 am »

I know atleast 1 other mafia player I in my last session agreed with me that the rate of play can be a lot to manage, and adjust to if that is even possible.

I'd be interested in a mafia with posting restrictions. Such as you must wait an hour before posting again, and possibly limiting things like skipping a phase until everyone has posted.
It sounds like you want a longer game, and I'm not sure if we've had longer games that were super engaging and didn't die out. I could see how making that first restriction might make for an easier game if you have limited time to play, though. There was a game that ran a Twitter style limitation of 140 characters per post, and I think it might have been more manageable.

But, to me, that feels like an artificial lengthening of the game. I think games tend to have spikes and lulls, and the first restriction just caps the spike, and accentuates the lull. It would certainly be more easily managed, but it would come at a cost to player involvement. My opinion is that involvement is definitely more important, but it's possible that easily managed games could create an environment where players become involved.

The second restriction just seems like it would be a player defined decision. I could see that sucking for someone that isn't there, but generally, if a Shorten has been called for, there is a majority of players behind it, and another player showing up wouldn't change that result. Mafia, being a game of majority rule, seems to fit that.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #646 on: November 09, 2020, 10:20:20 am »

Hmm, a character limit is interesting. The first few times I played Mafia were on GameFAQs. They were Smash Bros themed(with like Yoshi, Link, Mario, Pikachu, etc) on the Smash Bros board so no one was very familiar with mafia to begin with. This was the pace I first experienced and I loved it, but it's hard to find a similar beginner environment now.

I'm really interested you in particular webadict would humor the idea of a slower paced game, considering your high activity (relative to other players) in the other game. Would you actually possibly play something like that? Or were you more suggesting how others might be willing to play it?
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 09, 2020, 12:31:51 pm »

Hmm, a character limit is interesting. The first few times I played Mafia were on GameFAQs. They were Smash Bros themed(with like Yoshi, Link, Mario, Pikachu, etc) on the Smash Bros board so no one was very familiar with mafia to begin with. This was the pace I first experienced and I loved it, but it's hard to find a similar beginner environment now.

I'm really interested you in particular webadict would humor the idea of a slower paced game, considering your high activity (relative to other players) in the other game. Would you actually possibly play something like that? Or were you more suggesting how others might be willing to play it?
I probably wouldn't play. Not because I wouldn't want to, but more because my commitment level fluctuates hard. Some weeks I can commit to posting a lot, and some weeks I can't. Longer phases mean games that last for weeks or months.

But, I do know that some forums play with weeklong and I think I once saw a monthlong Phases. The longer the game goes for me, the easier it is to burn me out.

I am definitely into faster games, which is why it's easier for me to post a lot, but that style also works best when there are multiple players that thrive. For the most part, I was just externally debating with myself if it could work here, and the answer is probably yes, but games like that require dedicated players.

Usually I play faster paced mafia games nowadays, typically in person or Among Us or what have you. Simple and fast. Otherwise, I am usually waiting for something to happen, which is, well, boring.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #648 on: November 09, 2020, 02:30:48 pm »

Well it definitely was a whiplash experience for me, to go from a 5 day phase, to a shortened 1 day phase. I imagined something closer to 2 day phases, so even with less posting, not an especially longer experience. Definitely not months, as those smash bros mafias didn't last all that long.
Awesome With Autism

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 09, 2020, 02:37:52 pm »

Well it definitely was a whiplash experience for me, to go from a 5 day phase, to a shortened 1 day phase. I imagined something closer to 2 day phases, so even with less posting, not an especially longer experience. Definitely not months, as those smash bros mafias didn't last all that long.
To be far, most phases do usually last 72 hours. Sometimes, there are just reasons they don't, but I'll avoid discussing a game currently ongoing.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #650 on: November 09, 2020, 04:55:18 pm »

Oh OK, good to note. Yeah I'll just keep trying every now and then. You once made a suggestion for 2 driver mario kart mafia, I kind of feel that I need to double myself to keep up, so perhaps something like that would be up my ally. If I was going to host mafia though I should probably do something fairly vanilla. Perhaps a minimalistic one with posting restrictions and about 72 hour phases.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #651 on: November 09, 2020, 05:03:59 pm »

Hurt and Heal Mafia

Each player begins with 3HP, which is reset each day phase.

Each hour, you can hurt (remove 1) or heal (add 1) to a different player's HP total, but it cannot go above 3.

Whether you hurt or heal, or do not do either, you can only post after a full 60 minutes have passed from your last post. Day phase lasts 72 hours, and Night lasts 24 hours.
Awesome With Autism

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 09, 2020, 05:36:42 pm »

Hurt and Heal Mafia

Each player begins with 3HP, which is reset each day phase.

Each hour, you can hurt (remove 1) or heal (add 1) to a different player's HP total, but it cannot go above 3.

Whether you hurt or heal, or do not do either, you can only post after a full 60 minutes have passed from your last post. Day phase lasts 72 hours, and Night lasts 24 hours.
There was a game mode like this on Xylbot. It was essentially a game of shooting people with random guns you got at the beginning of the game.

It would likely turn out where your goal is simply to kill as many people as you can as fast as you can. At least, that's how the metagame of that game usually went. And it would favor the people that logged in every hour to shoot someone.

Oh OK, good to note. Yeah I'll just keep trying every now and then. You once made a suggestion for 2 driver mario kart mafia, I kind of feel that I need to double myself to keep up, so perhaps something like that would be up my ally. If I was going to host mafia though I should probably do something fairly vanilla. Perhaps a minimalistic one with posting restrictions and about 72 hour phases.
That actually could work, with more players available. I did have a two-person player in one of my games once, and the player who had that was quite fond of the role (even thought it did turn them into a Serial Killer.)

You could have everyone pick a list of players to join up with and form teams of 2 or more, and play mafia with that. It'd let you do a bit of interesting twists with games and mechanics.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #653 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:12 pm »

It would be cool if there was a Mafia with an Item Shop.
Awesome With Autism

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 11, 2020, 09:29:10 pm »

NQT ( I think, it may have been flabort) ran a game many years ago with a mechanic like that. You were assigned an alignment and you were then assigned some currency and could buy and sell various abilities in the shop.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 15, 2020, 08:39:18 pm »

Game Mode Type: You Only Have One Day (YOHOD)

At the beginning of the game, reveal the number of Mafia players. All other players are Town.
Game Starts at Night 0.
All players have various roles with any number of actions.
Undecided on whether the mafia should kill. Since these games are typically fast, it wouldn't be a huge detriment.
Players still vote to lynch one player at the end of the Day.
At the end of the Day, before the lynch is revealed, all Town players must submit a list of players equal to the number of Mafia players that they believe make up the Mafia.
After the lists are submitted, all players receive points based on their own performance:
 - All Mafia players receive points based on the number of Town players that did not submit their name. They receive an additional point if a Mafia player was not lynched.
 - All Town players receive points based on the number of Mafia players their list contains. Additionally, they lose points for each player that listed them as Mafia. They receive an additional point if a Mafia player was lynched.
At the end of the round, the players are ranked by their number of points.

The aim of the game is to make a fast version of mafia that compresses much of the game into a small timespan. It has an action economy meant to vary depending on what is wanted, and has the ability to make open, closed, semi-open, and bastard games out of the format. And, it judges players based on their ability to avoid scrutiny and play their alignment well, as well as granting bonus points to the team that can get the edge on the lynch. Its downsides are in that one day obviously isn't a lot to go on, so I didn't want to focus a majority of the points on the result of the day.

Thoughts?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 24, 2020, 11:59:11 am »

NQT ( I think, it may have been flabort) ran a game many years ago with a mechanic like that. You were assigned an alignment and you were then assigned some currency and could buy and sell various abilities in the shop.
That's right, the Choose-Your-Own-Mafia series.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 24, 2020, 02:26:41 pm »

That's right, the Choose-Your-Own-Mafia series.
flabort may have been the one that used an ability to continually inflate the price of something so they ended up with lots of currency.

I think they may have actually been my third mafia game on the forum actually, since I remember being very pleased at being third-party, but failing entirely because Tiruin said everybody had an ability that countered what I was doing, so I didn’t do it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 24, 2020, 03:51:02 pm »

Yeah, that was flabort.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 24, 2020, 07:43:12 pm »

Ah yes CYOM, the only mafia game I've ever seen where a cult was capable of replacing its leader and still got squished like a bug.

God those games were clusterfucks.  Fun as hell, but major clusterfucks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:50:15 pm by 4maskwolf »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 62