Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 222324 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #660 on: November 26, 2020, 11:28:43 am »

I think this board tends towards balancing through excess of overpowered abilities. If everyone has the chance to be completely gonzo, then it evens out.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 26, 2020, 11:38:10 am »

I have no idea what you're talking about <<  >>
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #662 on: December 01, 2020, 12:03:53 am »

So I was thinking about a Mafia setup that would favor aesthetics, such as my art panels in BPM3.

One where things are regular, so no shortening, but also explain why lynch kills can only happen at the very end.

I remembered an episode of The Outer Limits, where a person had volunteered to be in a deep underground bunker, with access to launch nukes on the surface in case the world was invaded by Aliens. There were others in these bunkers, always 1 person per bunker, all with the same power, and they stayed in communication with each other and played chess or chatted at mealtime over the monitors.

It would be an interesting setup if each player is in an isolated bunker, and they can vote for a lynch and when the time runs out the chosen victim's slaughter is automated. This fits the aesthetic of the group not being able to just strangle them until that final moment.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 20, 2020, 02:41:56 am »

I was going for something like that with the games in the Lonely Prince series (prioritizing aesthetics). If this nonsense keeps going viral through next summer I might actually go crazy enough to run something again. I'm writing this to remind future-me to reach out to you about a collab.

Horatio Hall: *rises from the dead*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 29, 2020, 09:38:22 pm »

So I'm thinking of running a sequel to Mostly Vanilla Mafia after BYOR15 ends, provided roseheart doesn't claim priority. I'd like to get a little feedback on the setup I ended up using for Mostly Vanilla Mafia before I run Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2, though. Should help me put my ideas together a bit better.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 29, 2020, 09:45:51 pm »

If this nonsense keeps going viral through next summer
... Poor choice of words.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 29, 2020, 09:47:54 pm »

If this nonsense keeps going viral through next summer
... Poor choice of words.
But do it!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 05, 2021, 08:42:10 pm »

I do think the next game should be lower on the crazy scale.

That said, rereading Third Party Mafia (and also Roguelike Mafia) made me pine for them a bit.  With the benefit of much hindsight I feel like Roguelike Mafia might be a bit too random to balance out, but that's also sort of the main idea.  I'd certainly want to go over the item list before I even considered it again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 06, 2021, 01:56:19 pm »

I've been working on a spiritual successor to the CYOM games. My aim is to give players lots of choice still, but make it a lot less breakable and instantly OP than in the past. Suggestions and comments welcome! I especially want to know any game-breaking combos that win the game for scum, or make mass claim instantly win the game for town.

Some changes:
1 - It's now class based, with lower-level powers needed to be purchased before higher level powers.
2 - You pick your species before the game starts which are equivalent to the old auto protections in the last game.
3 - You're given a random profession, like in normal mafia games, but after the end of D1 the direction you go in is completely up to the players.
4 - The aim of 2 & 3 is to prevent ability/species/profession choice from being instantly suspicious. This should open up some nice variety of roles while still allowing huge amount of freedom of choice and strategising later on.
5 - To that end there are 12 unique professions, each with 4 unique abilities, for 48 abilities in total (49 including the mafiakill).
6 - To make fake claims easier, there are no direct role or alignment inspects.

Spoiler: CYOM - Redux (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:01:13 pm by notquitethere »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 07, 2021, 02:14:59 pm »

Some thoughts on it:
1. Witch seems incredibly powerful as a town path.  While it's level one is garbage, its level 3 is situational and its level four is mediocre, Read Entrails is essentially an automatic alignment inspect on the N1 mafiakiller due to kills always happening last and kill actions not coming online till level 3.
2. Flowermaiden is straight up awful until you get its rank 4 power.  Ability type inspections are essentially deadweight abilities due to town and scum having access to the same ability sets and its rank 3 power only works on a handful of archetypes (necromancer, those empowered by doge, and those with rank 4 day powers) and overlaps with its rank 4.  Its rank 4 is good, as a kill action that (if I understand things correctly) bypasses protection, but you're stuck taking three days worth of useless powers to get there.
3. Merchant creates an easy breaking strategy where everyone just agrees at the start of the game to go down the merchant path and endlessly sell each other things until day 5 or 6 where everyone has enough gold to win.  Even with that aside, alternate win conditions are counterproductive to the town if anyone takes them since they have little incentive to pursue the primary town wincon.
4. The public actions are all extremely obvious.  One is a daykill so knowing who targeted who tells you who performed it, and the other two can be easily determined: a doge is fairly obvious due to their votesteal ability so anyone who hasn't votestolen before is a spy using booby trap, and by that point in the game a massclaim will have happened anyway.
5. You just couldn't resist putting in Changeling, could you?
6. Poison and infect removal exists on only a single archetype as its level 4 ability, by the time they unlock it that ability is unlikely to make a difference as the first round of infects and poisons will have already gone off and quite possibly decided the game.
7. The game is essentially over once N4 hits, as by that point pretty much every archetype has access to kills and it's a matter of how the kills, protects, and shields shake out overnight, which heavily favors the scumteam due to their ability to coordinate.
8. Stoneman creates a weird dilemma for the town: it's unambiguously the best pick to avoid early mafia multikills using poison and infect, but it also completely screws the town out of any possible use of medium, channel, resurrect, or (most importantly) read entrails if the whole town takes it.  The mafia team doesn't have this dilemma as they don't especially care about conversing with the dead or finding out who killed them (non-poison/infect town kills don't properly come online until "everybody dies night") and by the end of the game there will be too many kills flying around for reviving a dead scum to be worth it.  It also puts necromancer in a weird position where the entire archetype can be rendered useless by optimal choices.

Those are just some things I noticed from scanning over it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 07, 2021, 02:38:05 pm »

6 - To make fake claims easier, there are no direct role or alignment inspects.

I'm into this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 07, 2021, 04:25:36 pm »

Crazy setup idea for a smaller beginner's mafia that the Vengeful setup triggered:
5-6 players, 1 confirmed scum IC player, 1 scum beginner, 3-4 townies. It probably needs a neutral IC spectating and kibitzing, to keep the scum IC honest.
No roles or night kills, and the IC cannot be lynched.
The game ends when only 2 townies remain or if the beginner scum gets lynched.

I imagine that playing around a known scum would help with figuring out how to play off of guesses, and with seeing who has extra information. The small player count would, of course, make it much easier to start a game and get more beginners into the subforum.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2021, 04:27:36 pm »

That sounds absolutely nuts for the known scum IC. I'm provisionally in to play (pending someone else sanity checking the setup, I'm not good at that).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 07, 2021, 04:43:39 pm »

Crazy setup idea for a smaller beginner's mafia that the Vengeful setup triggered:
5-6 players, 1 confirmed scum IC player, 1 scum beginner, 3-4 townies. It probably needs a neutral IC spectating and kibitzing, to keep the scum IC honest.
No roles or night kills, and the IC cannot be lynched.
The game ends when only 2 townies remain or if the beginner scum gets lynched.

I imagine that playing around a known scum would help with figuring out how to play off of guesses, and with seeing who has extra information. The small player count would, of course, make it much easier to start a game and get more beginners into the subforum.
Hmm.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure having an open scum, especially an experienced one, would teach what you're hoping for here.  Scum use extra information and coordinate with one another so long as they are hidden, but the moment a scum is outed pretty much everything they say from that point becomes worthless.  Everyone knows they're lying and trying to mislead you, and they know that everyone knows they're scum, so best policy is to completely tune out a 100% caught scum.  In a lot of other communities an outed scum is generally expected to either stay quiet or "lolcat" (post funny pictures) until their lynch because nobody is actually going to read the stuff they say anyway.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 08, 2021, 07:42:35 am »

In general, all powers should have a relatively weak 1st level powers because this can be used at N0 and there should only be enough for suspicions.

4mask, you missed that Doctors can cleanse poison and infect from first level. An incredibly brutal D4+ is perfectly fine I feel-- everyone having access to kills potentially doesn't mean everyone genuinely will have kills by that point or use them, if previously CYOMs are anything to go by (only a minority of players chose vig roles).

Does the fact that species is chosen before you get alignment change things? Players don't know they're town before they pick pro or anti town species. Also, players rarely make the same judgement as to 'optimal' choice. With the nerfing of poison and infection, I don't think everyone will pick Stonemen, though some people will (especially as a lot of players will want to have the option of being resurrected).

I've made a bunch of changes, including a new profession. Any new thoughts?

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: CYOM - Redux (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 62