Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 222241 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 96%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #690 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:40 pm »

Any guesses what their problem accessing it might be? (Has no one ever had a similar issue on the Mafia sub?)

(Thanks)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:08:54 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 08, 2021, 01:13:05 pm »

Any guesses what their problem accessing it might be? (Has no one ever had a similar issue on the Mafia sub?)
I can't remember any, unfortunately.  If it's a new topic you just set up maybe try making a new one, if you haven't already?  Otherwise I have literally no idea.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 08, 2021, 01:16:16 pm »

I've also never seen this issue. Between me and 4mask, you can virtually guarantee that it hasn't happened in the subforum for the past decade :P
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #693 on: January 08, 2021, 01:18:28 pm »

Apparently they were able to view it with a VPN.

Edit: They can post!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:12:08 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 08, 2021, 06:07:21 pm »

Just hashing out some things for Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2.

[insert flavortext here]

~~~

This is Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2, a closed-setup game of forum mafia. I will be taking any number of players that want to join, but over 9 is preferable. Both new players and veterans are welcome to join - while everyone will have a power role (no boring Vanilla Townies and Mafiosos here), the hypercomplexity of games like BYORs will be absent. A few notes:

The game is called Mostly Vanilla Mafia because most roles will be vanilla and a few will be mostly vanilla. There's a difference between an Odd-Night Cop and a Pyromaniac Cop, after all. The existence of unusual role modifiers and combinations is something you'll have to watch out for - don't try to outguess the mod. The mafiascum wiki will have most or all of the role names you'll see in the game.

The days will not be allowed to drag on. In the interest of creating a game that doesn't drag on forever and leave players exhausted and unmotivated, I'm taking a few pages out of Wuba's book. 72 hour Days, 24 hour Nights, no extensions (except mod-instituted in the event of a daykill, replacement, or such). Hammers will be in full effect (when the majority of players are voting a single target, the Day immediately ends and that player is lynched). I hope that this shift will produce a faster and more enjoyable game.

A few ability types are ruled out and will not appear in the setup. No manipulation of votes, and no alignment conversion. Roles can still involve voting, such as with a Mostly Vanilla 'Vindictive' modifier that means you can only target players who were voting you at the end of the previous Day, and roles can still be changed without changing the alignment (with an Ice Cream Man or such). Additionally, just like in the previous Mostly Vanilla Mafia game, your role will not have any hidden modifiers - if you're a Cop, you won't secretly be Insane. It is possible for role flips to be obscured by a Janitor, but role flips will not lie (though let's be honest, this is just basic decency).

Here's an example list of vanilla and Mostly Vanilla roles, along with the alignments they would be given to.

Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)

Open to comments and feedback. I reserve the right to use example roles in the actual game, but that is not guaranteed.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 08, 2021, 06:26:35 pm »

Would you be cool with "72 hours and possible to get one (1) 48-hour extension" ? I love the short-day default but the reality is that if I have a midterm (or god forbid finals) I'm not necessarily going to be able to fire off much in 72 hours.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 08, 2021, 07:22:50 pm »

See, I get the idea behind that. Extending for meta reasons is reasonable. I just don't want people extending for game reasons because that leads to gargantuan days. What's a good solution for that?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 08, 2021, 07:26:41 pm »

Yeah, it's a good question. I'm not really sure.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 08, 2021, 08:19:35 pm »

The solution for me is no extensions except by mod discretion. If you give players voteable or one-shot extensions, they use them and days last forever and it doesn't seem to be to the benefit of the players ultimately. Conversation takes the time you give for it to happen.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #699 on: January 08, 2021, 08:48:52 pm »

Hey look it's FallacyofUrist!!
Awesome With Autism

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 08, 2021, 08:58:36 pm »

The solution for me is no extensions except by mod discretion. If you give players voteable or one-shot extensions, they use them and days last forever and it doesn't seem to be to the benefit of the players ultimately. Conversation takes the time you give for it to happen.
I think I'll use that, yeah.

Hey look it's FallacyofUrist!!
It'same!
Generic Arms Race.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:40 pm »

And that game ended in a town vic. Now then...

Should I setup https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=We_Need_A_Fifth ? That small game went pretty quick.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 10, 2021, 04:46:44 pm »

A few very stupid mafia game ideas that might be suited well to a quick, frantic game:

Daykill BYOR: everyone submits a role name and receives back a role. The twist? There's only one Day. Everyone has a one-shot daykill ability of some kind and one other ability. Anyone can shoot anyone, and the mafia have a spare one-shot factional daykill too. Will get violent very quickly, and probably require multiple mods so the actions can be resolved quickly, along with potentially something like a 'no day killing for two hours after a day kill occurs and game start' moratorium. If all daykills are expended and no team has won, everyone gets their daykill shots expended at once.

KOTMBSER: King Of The Mafia (Bring Someone Else's Role). 7 players. Each one submits three role names to the pool, moderator adds five more role names to mess with claiming, each player has a role name randomly assigned to them and developed into a role. Then one player is chosen as King of the Mafia, the sole mafia player. If they win despite the chaos, they're crowned and are the winner of the game. If they die (and stay dead), the round ends, new players are added in (each one submits three role names to the pool to grow it before their assignment), players who survived the round get a moderate bonus of some kind, then a new King of the Mafia is chosen. The choice of the new King of the Mafia is weighted towards players with the greatest number of rounds survived, but it's not totally determined, just weighted, so anyone can be a suspect. Probably more of a headache to run, I recommend simpler role generation.

Too Many Mafias: 9 players, 2 mafia teams of 3 players each (who need to eliminate the other mafia team to win), except there's a serial killer player who gets a false mafia role and is inserted into both scum teams. Mafia teams vote on who gets to fire the mafiakill that belongs to their team. 4 town players, who would have a rough time being caught in the middle, but the serial killer needs to work to eliminate the mafia, and the town's role powers are on average stronger than the scum and serial killer players. Alternatively, 3 mafia teams of 2 players each, and the SK is inserted into only 2 of those mafia teams, and there's some sort of restriction on the mafiakill.
Generic Arms Race.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 10, 2021, 05:03:21 pm »

FoU, I like that nested idea of an SK hidden within the mafia team but you'd need to create some incentive or mechanic so the SK can't just reveal the scum team (say, when things are going badly for them).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 10, 2021, 05:25:20 pm »

Daykill BYOR: everyone submits a role name and receives back a role. The twist? There's only one Day. Everyone has a one-shot daykill ability of some kind and one other ability. Anyone can shoot anyone, and the mafia have a spare one-shot factional daykill too. Will get violent very quickly, and probably require multiple mods so the actions can be resolved quickly, along with potentially something like a 'no day killing for two hours after a day kill occurs and game start' moratorium. If all daykills are expended and no team has won, everyone gets their daykill shots expended at once.
This has sort of happened before. It did not end well.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62