Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 222256 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #750 on: February 19, 2021, 03:08:01 pm »

(Think I'll run a small 5 player idea I have just had.)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 19, 2021, 03:39:24 pm »

Mmm, maybe later.

I have something with a different premise in mind at the moment.

Though it'll have to be put on the queue, and preferably wait until after some less complex games.

Flashback Mafia is a game where you can choose any role from a previous game of mafia on this subform to take for yourself, though I'd reserve the right to tweak and adjust and reformat the role as needed to make the game work acceptably.

There should probably be at least some additional caveats, though. Any thoughts?

(The idea is that if you had a cool role but died early or the game ended early, or if someone else had a role you'd like to try, you can snatch it for this game, though the end result will inevitably be a mess)

The player that sends the most overpowered role is given a role of the GM's choice instead. Players will self-regulate, and you'll have complete control over 1 role, so you'll be able to inject a little balance into the setup. Thoughts?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 19, 2021, 05:43:51 pm »

Yeah, there's going to be some issues with balance. It'd be interesting, though.

The player that sends the most overpowered role is given a role of the GM's choice instead. Players will self-regulate, and you'll have complete control over 1 role, so you'll be able to inject a little balance into the setup. Thoughts?
That is an excellent behavioral incentive.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 19, 2021, 06:16:05 pm »

Yeah, there's going to be some issues with balance. It'd be interesting, though.

That is an excellent behavioral incentive.
Well, as that's a more libertarian method of regulating, that only works if all players have equal knowledge of both all roles and all chosen roles. Far more likely, it'll created a flawed and unbalanced ecosystem, as the only judge for true fairness there is what has been deemed appropriate by the moderator, and that can only be assessed after all roles have been added. I expect you'll see more than 1 blatantly overpowered role, and that's why it won't work.

Instead, a better idea would be to powerscale as necessary, since that allows for people to pick horribly bad roles and have them scaled up OR horribly good roles and have them scaled down. Leveling the playing field is going to create a better game than having the players self-regulate.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 20, 2021, 02:07:14 am »

Yeah, that sounds like a more balanced way to go about it. It gives some nice creative leeway to the Mod, too.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 21, 2021, 01:24:08 am »

Raging Loop Werewolf

Spoiler: Old Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OP post (WIP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:31:54 pm by ToonyMan »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 23, 2021, 03:51:23 pm »

Edit - ...this belongs in Games Discussion, not Setup Discussion. My bad  :-X
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 23, 2021, 09:39:10 pm »

---

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:10:23 pm by Skynet »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 07, 2021, 12:07:08 pm »

Skynet, I think that's a promising setup. I like the strong town power with the seducer. I suspect that once two town players die you might have a similar thing as last time where the non-town aligned factions quickly collectively outnumber the town, but it might work out: both the Eco Party and the Resistance want to hunt each other as well as town.

Here's an idea I had based on the novel, not the film:

I Am Legend Mafia

Most of the players are vampires, except that there are a few fake vampire hiding in the midst. Every day when they all go to sleep, these humans go in and kill stake them in their sleep. At night the vampires vote who to exile.

- Day phase is for sleeping, night phase is for speaking (i.e. the names are swapped around)
- Normal balance of scum and town depending on number of players
- There are as many houses as there are players
- Each player has a house in the settlement: to kill, a human has to go to one of these houses: they kill all vampires in a house they visit
- At the start of each day, players can decide to sleep in their own house, or any other house
- Players are informed if they see another player sleeping in the same house as them
- Only one human kills during the day, the others sleep. No individual human can kill two night in a row (they need their rest)
- Players are allowed to PM each other
- At the start of each night, which house a player was killed in is revealed; players cannot sleep in a house where there was previously a slaying

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 08, 2021, 01:37:26 pm »

On Day 1, the Town will assign 2 people to each house (and will be able to verify which person goes to what house, since anyone who visits the House knows who else goes to that House), leaving behind vacant houses so they can be used in future Days. Anyone who deviates from the plan and goes to a different house is immediately suspicious, especially if said house gets purged. If an entire house is purged except for one plucky survivor who happened to be told by the Town to stay in that house, then that plucky survivor will be quick-exiled.

If the humans deviate from the plan by visiting a different house, 2 Vampires die, and if they stay in their own house and do the kill, only 1 Vampire will die, so they are incentivized to just leave to another house and get the multiple kill. Especially since no matter what the Humans will do, they will get caught.

This means it should be easy for Town to identify who did the Human-Kill. This might be balanced by the fact that 2 Townies will have to die just to confirm one Human. So each Human can be seen as disposable asset, able to take out people before getting exposed and promptly exiled. Figuring out the exact number of Humans versus Vampires would be key to balancing the setup - a single day/night cycle would mean 3 players are killed/exiled, and though Townies may quickly find out who are the Humans, they will wind up being quickly outnumbered.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 04:12:54 pm by Skynet »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 08, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »

Hmm, of course if two vampires are assigned to the same house as one another that plan falls apart-- they can fake-confirm each other.

But you're right, we'd want to throw a spanner of two more into these sort of game breaking stats. There was an idea I was playing with for an additional rule:

Exhaustion: after sharing a house with others, vampires fall asleep in their houses Exhausted the following Day; after performing a kill a human is similarly Exhausted the next Day. While Exhausted, a player cannot leave their home and they don't notice the comings and goings of others.

So everyone could stay in rooms the first day, but the next day the humans are going to be awake to kill and the poor vamps won't see anything coming. So the players might take it in shifts... can the town still game that? The first killer wouldn't show up to their confirmation group... but then they would be able to claim that the other person hadn't shown up either. So you'd get a battle of claims, it wouldn't be a sure thing either way.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 10, 2021, 10:06:58 am »

I went back to the drawing board with CYOM and had a think about the essential features:

- Players get to pick their own roles, playing mafia their way
- Players can choose new abilities dynamically throughout the game to counter emerging threats
- Every ability should have a set of counters such that the game cannot be broken with a mass claim or co-ordination early on

#3 has been a bit shaky, especially in the last game. Also as I add more choices, the range of possible complications or runaway successes only grows. So I've developed a new variant on the idea Choose-Your-Own-Mafia: Auction Edition.

Spoiler: CYOM Auction Edition (click to show/hide)

Here's the TL;DR:
- Players create Agents, who each have a Profession (which can give an ability like Track, Redirect etc.), and a Costume (which protects against different powers).
- Players then bid on these Agents with gold earned each day.
- If you have no Agents at the end of two nights running, you are exiled from the game, so winning some bids is essential.
- The mafiakill is designed to inhibit claims and co-ordination, as they can kill the owner or creator of any Agent with it.

I've tried to make a lot of possible winning schemes but with all of them counterable. Let me know if you think you have a gamebreaking strategy. I have considered running it with two mafia teams as that's often fun.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 12, 2021, 02:09:37 pm »

Are there any setups where some players don't know their alignment? Or aren't told it until later? Or a setup where players can choose to change their alignment (probably at great cost)?

The only role I can think that does this so far is the cult conversion, right?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 12, 2021, 02:38:55 pm »

Hmm, it'd actually be interesting to do that with some 3rd party roles. Not tell them what they are until night 1. Keeps them more engaged day 1 and might change the meta a bit of some games.

But it's not something I've tried yet beyond conversions, which are a bit different in that it's not the set-up hiding the alignment but more player driven. 
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 12, 2021, 02:45:15 pm »

I've seen a mafia game where a mafia-ally player is told they're town before the game starts, but learns their true alignment during N1.

I would consider passive alignment changes like this pretty bastard-y though.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62