Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221594 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #795 on: April 14, 2021, 12:49:16 am »

The problem with an optional cult is that nobody in their right mind would accept that change - and that playing to your current win condition is a big part of mafia.

Suppose you're working with a 9 player game and 1 optional cult leader. But the townies know if they don't agree to change role, the cult leader will just be rooted out and killed eventually.

You can't just choose not to be killed, or not to be role blocked, or so on. Conversion should be the same way. Of course cults need balancing, but you can do that in a number of other different ways.

As for the hypothetical 'super-observer'? How does that player win? How do you make the game challenging for them when they know everything?

Mafia is a game about informed minorities and uninformed majorities. But that doesn't mean the informed minority should get to know everything. There's always the question of 'what do the town power roles do'?

So the question is, even in a bastard game, how much information should the informed role receive? How do you balance that? How do you challenge them? What secrets do the uninformed players get to keep?

Or. Just in general. This is a question that any role designer should always ask themselves - what is the consequence of using a given role idea?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 14, 2021, 01:21:17 am »

As for the hypothetical 'super-observer'? How does that player win? How do you make the game challenging for them when they know everything?

I was thinking the role would be like that of a lunatic that knows the world is wrong/isn't real, but can't convince anyone of it in flavor.  And they would otherwise be vanilla town.  And they wouldn't know everything, I was a bit unclear on that point.  They would instead know the correct and changing rules of the game, and nothing about the players themselves.  They know exactly how many mafia/town/etc are in the game, how many roles are in play, and what those roles do, but not who has them.  It's a clear check on the bastard mod, as it adds some accountability.  An attempt to rehabilitate otherwise bastard ideas.

Speaking of Cult balance in the other direction, maybe one player should have a role where they can find out how many cultists are in the game.

To elaborate further on my hypothetical cult with voluntary recruitment, they also can win with town if town votes to coexist. Yet there is a third faction the inquisition that has the win condition of killing all cult, with the additional requirement of killing all town if town votes to coexist with cult.  A medieval witch hunter game.  The witches don't have to be anti-town, although they have a night kill.  They recruit by tagging town as witch initiates.  Witch initiates can chose to either join the witches or remain town.  But every turn they remain witch initiates, they'll show as team witch when inquisition investigates them.

3 witches, 2 inquisition, unknown town.  Witches recruit or kill, but not both on any given turn.  Both inquisition cops, limited number of day kills.  Inquisition switches to night kills (one per night) if town votes to accept the witches.

Still work in progress, plenty of time since there seems to be room in the queue.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 14, 2021, 03:49:17 am »

A little lightbulb went on in my head.

The super-observer is a third-party role with otherwise no other abilities. Their goal is either "stay alive and get everyone else to kill each other off" or "make sure <some specific combination of things> happens by the end of the game."

Flavorwise, they're some kind of evil mastermind. What do you think?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 14, 2021, 04:50:47 am »

A little lightbulb went on in my head.

The super-observer is a third-party role with otherwise no other abilities. Their goal is either "stay alive and get everyone else to kill each other off" or "make sure <some specific combination of things> happens by the end of the game."

Flavorwise, they're some kind of evil mastermind. What do you think?

I really like the idea of their win goal being some specific combination of things.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 20, 2021, 09:32:19 pm »

I've generated some setups and fetched feedback from webadict and Mephansteras about them.

Spoiler: Micro game cult setup (click to show/hide)

I'm leaning towards the last setup since it's novel and feels like it would be more fun and balanceable than a cult setup.

I have various opinions about the other setups, but there's a reason why I have generated several.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 20, 2021, 10:08:38 pm »

Hmmm...

1 would need some rules to handle cult targeting the enemy cult.

2... do you mean Deprogrammer instead of Psychiatrist?  Would a deprogrammed townie leave the game?  Is the public inspect alignment only or would it differentiate leader vs recruit?

3 is interesting.  Lynches eliminate Cult Allies, I assume?

For 4, does the lynch or convert happen first?

4 and 5, I like the vote-driven town ability usage, and pinning it to the presence of the living role.

5, how would the Redirector work?  If Redirector acts to direct A to B and A is vote-inspected, actually the results of B are announced?  Is it known that the redirect happened?  Are the inspect results announced in public or sent to the relevant townie?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 20, 2021, 10:32:34 pm »

1 would need some rules to handle cult targeting the enemy cult.

The two cult leaders would be on the same team. There would still only be one conversion each night.

The intent was to make the game less swingy by giving the cult an extra leader so that the cult would be more durable to a potential day 1 town stomp, and also make a scum team instead of solo scum since I think that's an important part of making mafia games playable.

2... do you mean Deprogrammer instead of Psychiatrist?  Would a deprogrammed townie leave the game?  Is the public inspect alignment only or would it differentiate leader vs recruit?

Psychiatrist = conversion protection

webadict's feedback from setup 1 suggested this so the inspect would be alignment + role.

3 is interesting.  Lynches eliminate Cult Allies, I assume?

Correct.

For 4, does the lynch or convert happen first?

Hurrrarrrrrummmmmmmmmmmmmm my thinking was resolving everything as simultaneously as possible unless there was some kind of obvious precedence that needed to happen, so the convert would happen first. I'll have to think about that one and whether it makes sense and isn't a stupid freebie to the Cult.

5, how would the Redirector work?  If Redirector acts to direct A to B and A is vote-inspected, actually the results of B are announced?  Is it known that the redirect happened?  Are the inspect results announced in public or sent to the relevant townie?

My thinking is:

A is cop
players vote inspect B
Mafia redirects A to C
End of day, B has their alignment publicly announced, but the alignment announced is C's

The kill would be known (of course) but the redirection would not be known.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

prefuzek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 24, 2021, 11:50:59 am »

U, Robot - a nightless setup for 5-7 players with an informed majority of scum.

Roles:
  • 2 Humans - win when all robots are lynched
  • 3-5 Robots - win when one human is dead, share a scumchat

Nightless, one vote to lynch, but robots may not vote for humans. If 72 hours pass without a lynch, the robots win. Essentially, the robots need to convince one human to lynch the other, while humans need to kill all the robots.

This setup works well in person, but humans usually win since knowing that the robots can't lynch humans is very helpful for scumhunting. I think it might be more balanced on forums when the robots have a scumchat - coordinating buses is super important for good robot play.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 25, 2021, 09:55:08 am »

Roles:

Nightless, one vote to lynch, but robots may not vote for humans. If 72 hours pass without a lynch, the robots win. Essentially, the robots need to convince one human to lynch the other, while humans need to kill all the robots.

This setup works well in person, but humans usually win since knowing that the robots can't lynch humans is very helpful for scumhunting. I think it might be more balanced on forums when the robots have a scumchat - coordinating buses is super important for good robot play.

This is a cool setup. I'll have to check this one out in-person.
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 25, 2021, 10:05:56 am »

Roles:

I think it might be impossible, or close to it, with those numbers.  The robots can't vote for humans, which means if a human is voted, they just vote the other human, and they're safe (ties usually mean no lynch).  Then the humans go through and eliminate everyone else.  You can just rotate the vote to each person, and whomever can't be voted on by the majority is human.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 25, 2021, 10:17:39 am »

I think votes in this setup are essentially dayvig kills
Money!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 25, 2021, 10:18:08 am »

It's one vote to lynch, Jack.

And yes that does look fun.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 25, 2021, 10:26:24 am »

It's one vote to lynch, Jack.

And yes that does look fun.

I was actually going to speculate on how long it'd take you to "solve" that setup.

prefuzek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 25, 2021, 06:06:26 pm »

I think votes in this setup are essentially dayvig kills
That's correct. Another interesting thing is that once roles are sent, the setup can be basically self-moderating: when somebody votes, any other player can immediately confirm the roleflip.

What's the process like for queuing up small filler games like this?

(I know I'm new around here, but I played some games many years ago on a different account and I've been lurking on and off since)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 25, 2021, 06:18:50 pm »

Generally people just see about interest in the Games Threshold List thread. For small set-ups, as long as enough people are interested it can usually just go ahead and run.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62