Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221930 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #825 on: June 25, 2021, 09:43:31 am »

MATRIX6 has started. I'm calculating weekend time to not count.
Did I miss any threads..

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 25, 2021, 09:49:09 am »

If anyone wants to join the robot test, feel free - I'm closing "signups" some time today or tomorrow. There won't be much actual gameplay, mostly people voting each other for the fun of it...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 25, 2021, 06:04:27 pm »

Standard mafia, with a twist: outsiders can join the game, while it's running. Anyone who enters becomes a new town or mafia member, based on a weighted dice roll.

Thoughts?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 25, 2021, 06:17:25 pm »

At the discretion of the GM is probably better. Depending on the state of the game, a new town or mafia could dramatically swing the balance of the game. Especially if the new players can have power roles.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 27, 2021, 04:09:36 pm »

Webadict has asked for a replacement. Any takers?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 30, 2021, 07:30:52 am »

Once again, replacement for someone, a Rolan7. Any takers?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 08, 2021, 03:54:59 am »

Standard mafia, with a twist: outsiders can join the game, while it's running. Anyone who enters becomes a new town or mafia member, based on a weighted dice roll.

Thoughts?

Oh, we already have that!  They're called replacements.  :P

Onto more serious matters, planning for my Island Mafia.
The theme is that a plane crashes and the players are survivors on an Island in the Ocean.  Mafia are criminals waiting for someone to pick them up so they can "disappear", they have to kill the others in order to do so.
Thoughts: What is the minimum number of players to run a game? Can I run 7 instead of 9?
How many power roles can I put in?
I do NOT want any doctors/jailkeepers.  Basically, nobody that can prevent another person's death. 
I like the idea of 1-shot bulletproof though.
I do want a possible 1-shot vigilante
I do want a possible cop
I do want a possible tracker
I do want a possible mafia roleblocker
As for combos, thinking it should be Cop + 1-shot bulletproof/tracker OR 1-shot vigilante + tracker.  Roleblocker basically used a half a mafia player.  So at 9 players, I can either throw in 3 mafia or 2 mafia with roleblocker.
Thinking about Serial Killer, really unsure on balance.  How to make the numbers so its a winnable alignment without being too swingy.  I think the two combos above would work.  Maybe keep it at 3 scum, so either 3 mafia or 2 mafia w/roleblocker + SK.  I think the mafia knowing about the SK is "fair", since they're down a mafia player.  Plus, this setup would allow only town to know the power roles.  Town's info to slip, I guess.
Not feeling survivor, with my setting
Thinking about miller.  Only if cop, lol.
Contemplated Masons (best friends from the plane), but probably wouldn't work

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 06, 2021, 11:12:45 am »

Btw, I have a bit of You Only Have One Shot (YOHOS) mapped out.

YOHOS is a semi-bastard game because it contains a non-traditional method for winning and game style where the Town team attempts to escape from an Escape Room and the Mafia team attempts to stop them. It shouldn't matter about player numbers, as it will only affect what is needed to complete the game.

Also, some issues for gametypes like this are hidden mechanics, which will not be a feature of this game. All available actions will be listed, all rules will be known, and the only surprises will be those that are found, so players can choose what they wish to do. In the case two players choose the same action, the mafia will decide who succeeds.

Game actions will result in players potentially receiving items that help their chance to win or by giving them additional choices.

The winners are determined by the number of victory points at the end. Town, Mafia, and 3P win conditions will be the main source for this, but other point sources will be available throughout the game (to make you an even better winner!) Basically, score above 0 and win, score 0 or less and lose!

That's the base description: Escape Room Mafia. If you spot anything significantly confusing or broken, feel free to point it out, but my feelings so far are these:

1) One mafia claiming immediately and bullying others:
In game, there are Daily votes that result in a vote for two players - A Winner and a Loser - that can punish the Loser at the Winner's discretion. Additionally, limited communication between team members of any alignment.
2) Action availability:
If all actions are available to all players, there is less need for cooperation (as well as lying). I have considered giving actions limitations, such as tags, attributes, or stats needed to complete the action (Say, a STRONG tag, given to specific players) that could potentially be overcome by some other player choices. It allows players to be forced to work together and scum to lie about what they can and can't do.
3) How to escape:
My feeling is that this might be bested resolved by a final and single vote. Players might gain additional voting power throughout the game to assist them, but the Mafia can attempt to put themselves in a place of power, but they can also choose to consolidate their ability to vote at the end. Either choice works. This also stops unwinnable game states, since there is always technically a chance for either side.

That's my thoughts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 06, 2021, 01:51:28 pm »

Why doesn't the mafia team want the town team to leave the room?

Does the mafia team intend to keep the town team captive "forever", or are they just trying to delay to a "better" time?

It seems...overly and needlessly complicated and deviant to the point either being Not-Mafia with Mafia name or Mafia in the Middle of Conversion into Something Else.

An interesting idea, but painfully half-formed.

Would it not be better to just run standard mafia with: no kill, vote into "penalty box" (can't act until out of the box), and the player gaining abilities as the game progresses to simulate the Escape Room feel without diverging into Not Mafia? Kinda like Roguelike mafia without all the killing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 06, 2021, 02:28:32 pm »

Why is a matter of flavor, and isn't a necessary factor in this. Here's one that I came up with in 10 seconds: "Mafia is part of a ritual and intend to subvert it for their needs. Killing the participants would fail the ritual." Why doesn't really matter. I mean, why do people need to kill the Mafia? Why not just lock them in rooms forever? The why is not important to justify game mechanics.

The second point perhaps a misunderstanding of the point. It is more complicated by design on purpose because it is meant as a breath of fresh air from "normal" mafia.

It is still a social deduction game in that there is an informed minority working against an uninformed majority. That doesn't exclude it as a Mafialike.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 09, 2021, 02:11:03 am »

Not that I'm actually interested in moderating a game, but I wonder what micro setup would be possible that actually has the same vibe as a Mountainous. 5 VT and 2 Mafia would straight up be unplayable for town but obviously giving town power roles at all would defeat the point. I'm thinking nerf mafia somehow or replace 2 mafia with a single SK?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 09, 2021, 07:37:29 am »

Vengeful is basically Mountainous, and 5p. Otherwise, there's a few games with mechanics where the first lynch doesn't count unless it's scum.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 09, 2021, 07:46:43 am »

Oh, interesting. Town's win rate seems to still be disadvantaged, but it's only just as bad as Mountainous.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 09, 2021, 02:23:28 pm »

I came up with a pretty neat one - five players, four town one mafia, but there's only one Day and anyone who gets two or more votes on them is eliminated. Should be pretty balanced, I think.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 09, 2021, 02:57:07 pm »

What about Armed Forces Mafia: 2 or 4 1-shot bulletproof townies, one mafia.  Maybe give one or two of the townies 1-shot vigilante and the mafia also 1-shot bulletproof?

Heh, but even more fun is True Armed Forces mafia: All townies are 1-shot bulletproof and 1-shot vigilante, whereas Mafia is 1-shot bulletproof and can shoot as much as they want.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 62