Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221460 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #840 on: October 09, 2021, 11:00:35 pm »

Well, the point of Mountainous is Town doesn't get power roles. Though I guess with that limitation Vengeful is also not Mountainous.

Though I suppose if town has identical powers it'd also be Mountainous.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 12, 2021, 04:55:26 pm »

Someone should start a small self-moderated game like Vengeful or the robot one.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 12, 2021, 06:37:49 pm »

Someone should start a small self-moderated game like Vengeful or the robot one.
We could do either if 5 players are interested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 12, 2021, 08:41:14 pm »

Self-moderated?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 12, 2021, 08:50:10 pm »

Self-moderated?
I have a bot that can send out roles automatically. After that, whenever a player dies, the game is updated by an applicable player.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 14, 2021, 09:05:20 pm »

So, uh, do we have the people necessary for a small game?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 15, 2021, 09:20:46 am »

How many?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 15, 2021, 09:44:11 am »

How many?
Presumably 5, but I suppose the numbers dictate the game.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #848 on: February 20, 2022, 04:31:14 pm »

Found an old party game and made it into a forum game. (Police Lineup)

Any advice before I start? Such as voting format, or common mafia game conventions I'd do well to take advantage of?

This is my first time hosting in the subforum.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:23:38 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 22, 2022, 03:47:44 pm »

Hm, maybe if you tweaked the rules (at least for the first round), you could run it now.
Like: Maybe one person is assigned a crime among all the possible ones, and the remaining players have to guess?
Or everyone is randomly assigned a crime, and a more standard mafia game occurs where everyone is playing against everyone?

Or Acquitted vs. Convicted? Everyone assigned a crime, but only one person was found GUILTY of that crime.  Everyone else was accused but acquitted.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #850 on: February 23, 2022, 12:59:37 am »

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand.
Awesome With Autism

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 23, 2022, 01:30:30 am »

One player, One Crime version:
EuchreJack is the criminal and told the crime.
The remaining player ask EuchreJack questions, then vote on which of the 4 crimes were committed.
Since you have 3 other players, the majority determines the vote.  All other rules can remain the same.

Game repeats until everyone gets a chance to be the criminal.
Simple?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #852 on: March 07, 2022, 05:57:15 am »

At the end of the day, I hope we can just get +2 players to be 6. I'm starting a session on MafiaScum in 3 days though.
Awesome With Autism

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 23, 2022, 12:33:29 pm »

Interesting idea for a two player game from the discord (Thanks Egan for the idea!):
Patient Confidentiality
Two players in a private chat together. The killer, who doesn't want to be caught, at least not immediately, and the psychiatrist, who needs to convince the killer to turn themselves in.
A Doctor can not reveal that their patient is mentally ill UNLESS they believe their patient will ACTUALLY harm someone
So long as the psychiatrist does not believe the killer would actually kill, they remain silent
Patient has a 50/50 chance they are actually a killer
If not a killer, then they are a Disgruntled Patient that wants the psychiatrist to Rat on them so they can get the psychiatrist fired
Since it is a mini-mafia, it could probably be run concurrently or between "normal" games.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 01, 2022, 01:42:53 pm »

I've been thinking about some of our meta and game mechanics that we use here at B12 that could be improved, and I've identified several items that I think could vastly improve our understanding and enjoyment of games. These are in no particular order, but I know some are related to specific game types.

The biggest issue I notice is that our Day game is lacking compared to other communities. This used to be one of our biggest strengths. Another issue that people don't accurately mimic their behaviors as murderers or threatened bystanders that they would do in real life, which not only affects our Day game, but really hits our ability to out roleplay other communities, as well. This makes our meta boring and stale, and really affects the learning algorithm that Mamobo uses to slowly become sentient, so I would suggest the following:

- Games should no longer reference Players, as this subconsciously tricks our mind into thinking the game isn't real, causing us to not play to our greatest potential. Instead, it might be better to use the terms Captives, Hostages, or Sacrifices, depending on the method used to motivate your group. This will also have a secondary effect of increasing our numbers here!
- Deaths in-game should be treated as though the person had actually died. This includes grieving, holding a funeral, and, simulating a real death when you die in-game. This will give us better understanding of how both murderers and those that catch murderers, improving our Day game.
- Cops should always return innocent unless the Cop can prove their target is guilty to a new role type, the Judge. This will also require the Cop to retrieve a warrant for arrest and/or search and seizure of evidence, and failure to provide these should result in punitive actions to the Cop, including removal of the Cop's inspection power. This allows us to no longer rely on mechanical information to solve games.
- Paranormal games should no longer include Doppelgangers. Doppelgangers have their origins in German folklore, and would be better off in Supernatural. Instead, the scum team should be composed of Aliens, Psyonics, and Ghosts, randomly. Additionally, there should be around a 99% chance (mod rolls) that the deaths were actually caused by an easily exainable phenomenon, like coyotes or that time my brother shoved me into a garbage can, but not like that one specifically, one that didn't happen. This allows for an improvement to our critical thinking and logical deduction skills, the foundation of many other communities.
- Supernatural games should instead be composed solely of quotes or references from the hit television show Supernatural, as well as fan fiction involving any characters from Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Eureka. Characters from outside these shows, as well as ships I don't personally agree with should result in permanent bans.
- Games should randomly last anywhere between a few hours and decades, to better simulate real life murder cases, as well as give more time to prepare arguments and address facts.

Anyway, let me know what you think of these and maybe add some more discussion on how else we can improve as a community.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 62