Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221863 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #855 on: April 01, 2022, 02:19:47 pm »

Lynching is an archaic and illegal practice.
Let us replace it with The Trial.
The person voted is Jailkeepered for several in-game days.
Then one player is The Prosecutor who must try the case, and other player is RANDOMLY ASSIGNED as the Defense Attorney.
The most trusted Townie player is elected Judge to decide the case, or the defendant can chose to have the Town (except the two individuals above) revote.

Alternatively, remove the Lynch entirely.  Just give all town players a 1-shot vigilante instead.  Vigilante justice needs more guns!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 01, 2022, 05:06:50 pm »

Anyway, let me know what you think of these and maybe add some more discussion on how else we can improve as a community.

I think you're on the right track with these suggestions, but I think we need to go even further. Rather than increase the fidelity of our simulated games of life and death with an uninformed majority and an informed minority playing against each other, we should instead play real games of life and death with an uninformed majority and an informed minority playing against each other.

It'll be interesting playing games where our roles are based on our real life skills, and it'll certainly change the dynamic between town and scum if the scum try to nightkill a player and the intended victim successfully fights them off. It'll also be a challenge to sustain games like this for any duration of time, but I think that's something we can work through.

Maybe in a couple months ago we could organize a Bay 12 meet up in some remote town, rent out an an entire dilapidated motel, and then play probably the most memorable game of mafia ever.

Thoughts?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 01, 2022, 05:18:53 pm »

Maybe in a couple months ago we could organize a Bay 12 meet up in some remote town, rent out an an entire dilapidated motel, and then play probably the most memorable game of mafia ever.

Thoughts?
I think this is a very promising idea to create truly historical games of mafia. I also think we should aim to create truly literate games of mafia. By which I mean, it is a shame that so many thousands of words are exchanged on these forums but it is all pure ephemera. I think all mafia games should be played fully in character, with an expectation of plot twists, scene setting, good quality prose. Instead of posting quick interspersed posts, each player must write a short chapter to continue the mafia narrative in any given mafianovella.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 01, 2022, 06:30:49 pm »

Anyway, let me know what you think of these and maybe add some more discussion on how else we can improve as a community.

I think you're on the right track with these suggestions, but I think we need to go even further. Rather than increase the fidelity of our simulated games of life and death with an uninformed majority and an informed minority playing against each other, we should instead play real games of life and death with an uninformed majority and an informed minority playing against each other.

It'll be interesting playing games where our roles are based on our real life skills, and it'll certainly change the dynamic between town and scum if the scum try to nightkill a player and the intended victim successfully fights them off. It'll also be a challenge to sustain games like this for any duration of time, but I think that's something we can work through.

Thoughts?
I'm on board if we can get Meph to MC. Although that might mean convincing aliens to abduct Meph for Paranormal.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 02, 2022, 12:56:23 am »

Although that might mean convincing aliens to abduct Meph for Paranormal.

on it
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 04, 2022, 11:30:11 am »

on it

The fact that this is the only part of this conversation not on April Fool's day is a bit concerning...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 04, 2022, 03:44:16 pm »

on it

The fact that this is the only part of this conversation not on April Fool's day is a bit concerning...
Everyone knows illegal immigrants are a cheap source of labor...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 01, 2022, 12:59:05 pm »

Well, it's just skip next day or skip next night. There's no real agency, because the event is random...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 01, 2022, 01:04:39 pm »

Well, it's just skip next day or skip next night. There's no real agency, because the event is random...
That's not what this article says. It says it's a choice.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 01, 2022, 01:16:02 pm »

I'm now imagining a setup where each player has control over some different part of the core structure of the game.

- skip a day or night
- manipulate the threshold for hammering up or down
- control who has access to dead chat
- control who has access to the mafia chat (would have to be a mafia ability)
- control what information gets revealed on a flip

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 01, 2022, 03:35:04 pm »

That's not what this article says. It says it's a choice.
Ok, I completely missed that they choose whether to skip, not whether it's skipped if they correctly guess. So yeah, missed the whole point.

I'm now imagining a setup where each player has control over some different part of the core structure of the game.

- skip a day or night
- manipulate the threshold for hammering up or down
- control who has access to dead chat
- control who has access to the mafia chat (would have to be a mafia ability)
- control what information gets revealed on a flip
This sounds like a big closed setup waiting to happen :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 22, 2022, 01:25:02 am »

dumb concept: poker mafia

each day everyone publically announces how much money they're putting in the pot and everyone must call or fold and be limmed from the game, people who are limmed or killed are treated as if folding too, the pot is split between people who win the mafia and survive to the end

downside is it'd have to be played over multiple rounds when using fake money for the bets to be useful as reads

upside is with enough pressure people may fold from rounds early and therefore end the game fast, and also if people who run out of money are eliminated from the overall game then later rounds would become faster and faster
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 22, 2022, 11:37:23 am »

dumb concept: poker mafia

each day everyone publically announces how much money they're putting in the pot and everyone must call or fold and be limmed from the game, people who are limmed or killed are treated as if folding too, the pot is split between people who win the mafia and survive to the end

downside is it'd have to be played over multiple rounds when using fake money for the bets to be useful as reads

upside is with enough pressure people may fold from rounds early and therefore end the game fast, and also if people who run out of money are eliminated from the overall game then later rounds would become faster and faster

An interesting game, but what do the Mafia do that the Town doesn't?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 07, 2022, 07:18:30 pm »

Should we note here that we've kinda migrated to Meph's discord and there's a game-design channel there?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62