Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 221439 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #870 on: September 07, 2022, 07:19:50 pm »

It might be a good idea to post a link to it in the OP? Or at least mention it so people can ask to be invited to it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 07, 2022, 11:25:46 pm »

Updated the OP with a link to the Discord.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 08, 2022, 08:55:58 pm »

dumb concept: poker mafia

each day everyone publically announces how much money they're putting in the pot and everyone must call or fold and be limmed from the game, people who are limmed or killed are treated as if folding too, the pot is split between people who win the mafia and survive to the end

downside is it'd have to be played over multiple rounds when using fake money for the bets to be useful as reads

upside is with enough pressure people may fold from rounds early and therefore end the game fast, and also if people who run out of money are eliminated from the overall game then later rounds would become faster and faster

An interesting game, but what do the Mafia do that the Town doesn't?

Presumably, cheat.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #873 on: September 12, 2022, 01:00:09 pm »

Sorry I've been so unreliable when I show up here. And sorry for holding on to hangups.
Awesome With Autism

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 12, 2022, 11:36:16 pm »

Sorry I've been so unreliable when I show up here. And sorry for holding on to hangups.

No problem, you're in good company

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #875 on: October 13, 2022, 03:06:05 pm »

Any idea why TheBiggerFish doesn't come around anymore?
Awesome With Autism

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 13, 2022, 03:08:42 pm »

Any idea why TheBiggerFish doesn't come around anymore?
Pond got too small.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 13, 2022, 03:51:10 pm »

Pretty sure they were in college so had little time for it, and I was a proper cunt to them i every game I played with them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 16, 2022, 05:17:29 pm »

Oops, wrong thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 11, 2023, 01:27:12 pm »

Drawing up ideas for a much stripped back version of Choose-Your-Own-Mafia. Lots of combos, but maybe not as broken as normal? Let me know how you'd break this setup:

Choose-Your-Own-Mafia Five

In the tradition of Choose-Your-Own-Mafias, this is a game where you choose your role powers. It uses a different ruleset than the previous game.

This time you fill out a character sheet when you start and you will get role powers accordingly. Fill in the blanks with reference to the power list. The only limitation is you can't have a both a big power and a resistance to a big power, unless you have a big drawback.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

If you end up picking an active power that no one else has, or a resistance to a power that no one else has, you won't be given your drawback.

Action reports are not usually given on success or failure. Track/watch/inspect reports are minimalist, giving only a list of targets, visitors or alignments. You won't be informed if you were blocked/redirected etc. Mafia cannot use a kill power in the same night that a team member uses the mafiakill.

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Drawbacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special (click to show/hide)

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 13, 2023, 10:23:46 am »

Making roles looks pretty fun here. Here's two ideas.

- The Politician
"As mafia, each night I can use my team's mafiakill or I can doublevote. I don't want other players to be able to doublevote me. I don't mind if I have no vote. Once in the game, I would like to be able to ignore my drawbacks for one phase."

The "no vote" drawback is interpreted as having one vote. Therefore, the Mafia can pretend to have possess a vote, only to activate their doublevote at LYLO. Difficulty would be pretending to have a different power other than double voting. I do need to stay alive until LYLO to try this gambit (hence why I want to be immune to doublevotes myself), but I don't need an immunity to curses, since I can easily ignore all drawbacks at the time of LYLO. Strategy fails if all alive Townies are immune to doublevotes.

- The Exploder
"As town, I would like to be able to Kill. I don't want other players to be able to Curse me. I don't mind if I'm in love with someone - I die if they die. Once in the game, I would like to be able to take my killers with me when I die."

I'm trying to maximize carnage by taking out as many people as possible. Town doesn't worry about dying, but scum does. Even the person I love can be sacrificed - I assume lovers are determined randomly, so the person I love could also be scum.

EDIT: The lover role is much less powerful than I realize. If my beloved dies, I die. But that death doesn't count as me being killed, so the Special doesn't come into effect. Also, I have to invoke the Special rather than let it passively activate, which seems to be far less useful. Here's a modified version of the above role then, to more properly maximize the death toll:

"As town, I would like to be able to Kill. I don't want other players to be able to Curse me. I don't mind if I'm in love with someone - I die if they die. Once in the game, I would like to be act during the day."

With the understanding that if I think my beloved is scum, then I'll kill the beloved before dying myself. Or kill someone else and advocate for the beloved's elimination.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 11:53:13 am by Skynet »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 16, 2023, 10:46:35 am »

I like both of those roles. Part of the appeal of the setup is being able to create these unique playstyles.

I think I should probably add two more abilities so that players might not all become kill immune:

Normal Power
Bless*

Big Power
Infect**

*Target cannot be blocked and heals infection
**Target dies at the end of the next day-night cycle, and anyone they target also becomes infected

The earlier CYOMs had arson, poison, and infection as alternative kill-types, but just one is probably sufficient. I wanted a smaller total number of powers, so that the drawback nullification rule might come into play: players should be encouraged to pick powers they don't think other players will have gone for.

Here are some other ideas:

- Mafia Frame Artist
"As mafia, each night I can use my team's mafiakill or I can Frame. I don't want other players to be able to Block me. I don't mind if my night target is publicly declared the next day. Once in the game I would like to be able to Hide."

Pretends to be a protector, but is actually framing the person they're 'protecting'. Once rumbled, they have the Hide and Block immunity to survive a little longer.

- Detective
"As town, I would like to be able to inspect. I don't want other players to be able to redirect me. I don't mind if I can only act on odd nights only. Once in the game I would like to be able to perform two actions in one phase."

On N1, the detective triggers their once-per-game and inspects the most suspicious players. They know they can't ordinarily be redirected, so can be pretty sure of getting accurate results (assuming millers claim miller and no one is framing their target). There's a good chance no one picks Redirect, and so they might not even have their drawback, but even if they do, it just means they've front-loaded the results for D2.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 14, 2023, 04:08:42 am »

I found the old KYOSN role & balancing sheets. I wanted to post them, but they actually contain mine and Wuba's personal info (e.g. google accounts), so I'll refrain from posting the links.

Here's the balancing sheet as an image:

And here are the roles that were sent out, more or less.

Edit: there's actually a better formatted post here

Edit2: Apparently I already had posted this link in that chat. Memory is definitely not my strong suit.

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:17:29 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 24, 2023, 11:10:37 am »

Drawing up ideas for a much stripped back version of Choose-Your-Own-Mafia. Lots of combos, but maybe not as broken as normal? Let me know how you'd break this setup:

Choose-Your-Own-Mafia Five

In the tradition of Choose-Your-Own-Mafias, this is a game where you choose your role powers. It uses a different ruleset than the previous game.

This time you fill out a character sheet when you start and you will get role powers accordingly. Fill in the blanks with reference to the power list. The only limitation is you can't have a both a big power and a resistance to a big power, unless you have a big drawback.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

If you end up picking an active power that no one else has, or a resistance to a power that no one else has, you won't be given your drawback.

Action reports are not usually given on success or failure. Track/watch/inspect reports are minimalist, giving only a list of targets, visitors or alignments. You won't be informed if you were blocked/redirected etc. Mafia cannot use a kill power in the same night that a team member uses the mafiakill.

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Drawbacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special (click to show/hide)

Instead of this, I've gone back to old school CYOM, with a new card-based system. Probably. Full setup and discussion here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 29, 2023, 05:01:42 am »

Don't be alarmed, but I'm clearing up my Discord Server responsibilities by dumping old Mafia Game discords, where other active players are present, I wasn't mafia, and I wasn't running them.  So if you see me dropping your favorite old game, it ain't personal.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62