Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 224629 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #390 on: May 21, 2015, 02:21:48 pm »

I've drafted a simple open setup and thought I'd share it here. Some comments and feedback would be interesting.

1 Protagonist: Has a one-shot Rescue action. May use on any player during any Night; if target is Kidnapped Princess the Protagonist & Princess win. If target is Bad Guy then Protagonist dies and Bad Guys win.
7 Bad Guys: Can win by lynching Protagonist during Day or if Protagonist loses during Night. Need to pretend to be Princesses to prevent Protagonist from making right choice.
1 Kidnapped Princess: Must get rescued by Protagonist to win; wins with Protagonist.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 21, 2015, 02:31:39 pm »

So the bad guys form a solid voting bloc, would everyone claim princess or bad guy?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »

What happens if the princess is lynched?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »

Maybe everyone should lose if the princess is lynched.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2015, 03:34:47 pm »

Does the Princess know the Protagonist?  Do the Bad Guys know the Princess?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 21, 2015, 03:38:45 pm »

so basically, the bad guys are the townies?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 22, 2015, 12:33:47 pm »

Ooh, if the bad guys know who the princess is and all lose if she's lynched then it adds a neat investigative aspect to the Protagonist's lynch choices.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 23, 2015, 06:59:02 am »

Does the Princess know the Protagonist?  Do the Bad Guys know the Princess?

I was thinking either nobody knows who anyone is, or only the Bad Guys know who the Princess is. A problem with the former idea is that everybody would become very reluctant to lynch, because there is no incentive to do so (the Bad Guys want to keep as many people/distractors alive as possible and the Protagonist wants to avoid lynching the Princess). It's probably better to have the Bad Guys know who the Princess is to prevent this.

What happens if the princess is lynched?

The Bad Guys and the Protagonist lose (and so does the Princess, of course). Currently that is equivalent to having everybody lose.

The aim of this setup is partly so that more players than just the Mafia (or their equivalent) need to pretend to be someone they are not -  the Bad Guys need to pretend to be Princesses, and the Protagonist needs to pretend to be a Bad Guy pretending to be a Princess.

At this point the Princess is not pretending to be anyone - that is not such a huge problem, as it is sort of in line with what would happen in the stereotypical video game, but it might be interesting to add the following role, possibly to replace a Bad Guy or as an extra player:

1 Jealous Boyfriend: May kill one player each night. Wins if the player killed is either the Protagonist or the Princess.

That may not solve the problem, though: The Boyfriend may simply claim and team up with the Bad Guys to kill the Protagonist. I'm not sure what the Princess would do in that situation.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2015, 09:30:58 am »

Maybe have the boyfriend only win if he kills the princess or both her and the protagonist. Maybe call him the suitor instead?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2015, 09:40:34 am »

Jealous boyfriend would add a serial-killer hunting element to things, but it seem that it'd make it even harder for the protagonist to win.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:57 am »

I was thinking of modifying this idea with three teams of three trying to kill another team.

Team 1 tries to kill team 2
Team 2 tries to kill team 3
Team 3 tries to kill team 1.

But they don't even know who their teammates are UNTIL one of them dies. So if one member of team 1 dies, the other two get a chat together. The game ends when one team is completely eliminated. The only problem that I can see is if the game ends up in a 1v1v1 situation because nobody would vote for somebody else. Anybody know how to fix that?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »

You could make things like that a lose condition for everyone. Or a win condition for the remaining people.

PPE: Of course, it would probably deadlock at 1v1v2 before that. That situation would be technically winnable for the team of 2 if the teams of one don't know who anyone else is, but it would be difficult to pull off. In that case, I'd probably just make it a win condition for the team of 2 and end the game. Or make 1v1v1 a win condition for the three remaining people and then watch the drama.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 05, 2015, 08:25:50 am »

I think i've finalized my idea for a game.

There are three teams of three people each. At first, they don't know who anyone is.

Team one wins if team 2 is eliminated. Team 2 wins if team 3 is eliminated, and team 3 wins if team 1 is eliminated. when a team gets down to two players, the remaining players get a private chat. When there is only one player left, he/she gets a night kill. There is also a serial killer who wins if he/she survives until one team gets knocked down to 1 player, and then leaves the game. The serial killer has a night kill.

Any crippling flaws?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 05, 2015, 08:46:26 am »

Not that I can see, but the SK will win easily (because his wincon aligns with the wincon of everyone else). If he could convince people that he wouldn't attack anyone, he could safely claim on Day 1.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:27 am »

How does his leaving work?  If the SK wins, does the game end?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 62