Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 157

Author Topic: Robocraft - F2P Minecraft + World of Tanks  (Read 317049 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Robocraft - F2P Minecraft + World of Tanks
« Reply #1860 on: December 18, 2014, 04:26:06 pm »

So my first Rail Tank was an experiment in compactness and exactly how small I could make something with as many railguns as possible as cheaply as possible while still being structurally solid. Only two treads, one railgun mounted between them, than two mounted on both ends of a thick "wing" behind it, than a fourth mounted on a tall, thick pillar behind the pilot's seat in the rear. All the guns barely fit and were pressing up against each other but the firing arcs were decent, if not perfect, thanks to that back pillar and the leveled approach I took, and occasionally shots were eaten. On top of that two treads side by side turn weeeeird, way too sensitive and fast. Interesting for an SMG maybe, but more trouble than it's worth for a Rail, so eventually it got another pair of treads for stability and redundancy. Eventually I added screen of prism blocks to absorb shots going for the "wing" from the front and channel damage down into the fore treads and chassis.

Initially it was made out of tier 1 armor because weapons are freaking expensive and its what I had lying around. Needless to say it was nearly made out of paper. But I gradually replaced them with quarterback armor (because blue is better than orange) And it turned into a reasonably solid, compact sniper. That ruined quite a few peoples day in its brief time in the sun.

Still, I was unhappy. The rear tower and layered structure gave it a large vertical profile and made taking cover difficult, enemies could still hit the rear tower distressingly frequently, as well as losing shots to awkward angles in-scope. So after I saved up some more RP I dismantled it and am now rebuilding it as flat and low hung as possible to allow my guns a full firing angle aside from when they block each other, as well as giving it a shorter profile, albeit a wider one to accommodate railguns, which need ludicrous amounts of space to what amounts to one of the weakest overall weapons.

Also, I'd kill for lower tier legs about now. You can get in some pretty weird places with treads but most of the time the enemy knows exactly where people are gonna be and it turns into a game of peekaboo, except rail-gun lasers/tracers paint a pretty perfect picture of where I'm sitting while invisible SMG bursts from nowhere peck me to bits.

Also, to other newbie builders out there, don't build your robot out of lightweight blocks at tier 4. One more gun or a massively over-tiered gun isn't going to matter if I can one-shot you from damn near anywhere on your robot the instant you're in visual range. You can under-tier your armor, sure, but don't build it out of that white crap, it makes you such a juicy target. Even if you're a medic 7/10 some flanker or plane is going to see your pearly white ass from low orbit and go FREE HIGH-PRIORITY KILL, YUM. When choosing targets raw color comes into calculations well before people take in your armor, and weapon icons.

We had a three or four person platoon on an enemy team once, they came barreling down one flank none of my team mates went down, and I popped three of them with one hit kills and crippled the last the instant they came into visual, one right after the other like a series of skeet, because they were dinky little white cruisers with lots of guns who thought surprise and numbers would win them our cap. I laughed my ass off because like twenty-five seconds into the match and they're down four players and a whole side of the map. That crap just doesn't really fly past tier two, there comes a point where it doesn't matter how many guns you have if they're supported by a material the strength of Swiss cheese.

/thesis end

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: December 19, 2014, 02:05:35 am »

I have constructed a crab.  It is a medic and I believe it to be near the peak of design potential.  Nothing is more expertly evolved than a crab...

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: December 19, 2014, 02:53:05 am »

Urge to construct a robot shaped like a giant pot of boiling water...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 19, 2014, 02:55:00 am »

A crab that has wings to jump and glide around?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: December 19, 2014, 03:11:06 am »

Then the next step of evolution, crab people*.

*requires addition of mech legs to function
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 19, 2014, 10:17:34 am »

A crab that has wings to jump and glide around?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: December 19, 2014, 11:37:00 am »

Just became able to push my main two vehicles into T3. Oh the joy of seeing plasma flying everywhere, functional flying stuff and railgunners that aren't just little, overtiered, snow flakes.
And all those shiny new armours that just laugh in the face of my poor SMGs.
Now I'll have to completely rebuild my heavy tank once I get enough treads and plasma launchers to transform it into an artillery plaftorm, hopefully freeing some heavy blocks to my third slot.

Also, I'd kill for lower tier legs about now.
Oh yes... *dreams of making a cute little jumping spider that tears stuff apart with Teslas*

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: December 19, 2014, 11:49:53 am »

Side note: SMGs are supposed to be jack of all trades, but given the way balancing has been going, they seem to be the strongest. Yeah, I have no idea how that's supposed to work either. But functionally, they're not meant to be the SMGs of FPS games. More like assault rifles, if you want an FPS analogue.

Well, tank machineguns aren't usually supposed to be used against other tanks, so I don't really know what it is analogue to. Since we don't have infantry and there isn't any "light vehicle" that could be obliterated by a cal .50 (unless you count all roboTanks as light vehicles, which they are, from the way they just vaporize from SMG fire).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »

Autocannons. A la GAU-8 (that thing A-10 has on it). That would explain why they're so OP ;D
._.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: December 19, 2014, 12:28:39 pm »

Autocannons. A la GAU-8 (that thing A-10 has on it). That would explain why they're so OP ;D
Compared to the pilot seat, it's a closer size comparison too!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: December 19, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »

I'm inclined to agree with the autocannon comparison, if we're comparing armoured warfare weaponry.

If we're doing a comparison with mainstream FPS though:
SMGs are comparable with assault rifles
plasma is a grenade launcher
rails are snipers
nanos are mediguns/flamethrowers combined
tesla blades are scifi flavoured melee weapons

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: December 19, 2014, 01:57:31 pm »

the smgs are scifi flavored anyway, they used to be lasers! (now they're subparticle somethingorothers)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

blazing glory

« Reply #1872 on: December 19, 2014, 04:34:34 pm »

the smgs are scifi flavored anyway, they used to be lasers! (now they're subparticle somethingorothers)

They are still lasers though.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 19, 2014, 04:40:04 pm »

But subatomic!

I really love Tesla blades. I built a sled with three of them at the front. With a bit of luck, I find a lone bot and smash into it at full speed, severely damaging it or even one hitting it when 2 connect at the same time.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 20, 2014, 01:52:57 am »

Lasers that actually go pew pew :p

I really should consider making a thruster sled at some point, it sounds like massive fun.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 157