Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 311096 times)

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: With even more examples of bad Wizardry.
« Reply #1920 on: January 21, 2015, 05:09:16 am »

I'll take garden-variety, reliable, mutilation thanks.

I think that I will sig this, if you don't mind.
By all means :)
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribulations in Magic: Ever heard of glass cannons? Well, he is a glass spoon
« Reply #1921 on: January 21, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »

Turn 095

Jack Vihmut in Arcane Room

"Monkey? I didn't ask for any monkeys!"

This can't get any worse, therefore I'll make more bad decisions.

More sicence, that hopefully won't kill you!

[Pot:4-1=3]
You get a golden line, that draws some kind of furry thing. It seems to be composed of a main part, from where five somewhat elongated portions come. It vanishes before you can guess what it is.

Huh. That was useless.

Keep trying stuff! I must find... well, something interesting.

Ignoring the recent negative effects of magic upon you, you decide to keep trying to find something useful:

[Pot:6]
Your right hand begins to glow with intensity, and suddenly it flashes with light. Your hand seems to be pretty smaller than before, but it is still attached to a full-sized wrist.

-Small hand:
[Light]
[Small]

[Pot:3]
Your right hand flashes again, and it comes back to its classic size. Then it begins to glow again, with a weak glow. The weak spell activates on its own, and your hand flashes again. Now, it seems to have a texture similar to jelly. It is kinda funny, you can push it, and with enough force it will cede, but then it will slowly return to its original form.

-Gooey hand:
[Gooey structure]

Yet again your hand flashes again and returns to normal. After a brief instant of a potent glow, it transforms into... itself! Yeah, you don't notice any changes here. Maybe you should test it.

A thick, golden line appears and draws a pair of shoes that could fit Bigfoot (the one with the "o", not zeros).

Quote from: Rolepgeek
PM

You seem to have an idea about how to fix yourself:

[Pot:5]
You flash with light, and you find yourself in human form, with the porcelain dragon legs still sticking out of your waist. Fortunately, the magic begins to work again, and the parts of your body which are still living begin to glow. With a mental command, the spell comes to life, and you find yourself in an odd position. You seem to be a biometal dragon, just as before, but you also seem to be quite smaller. Maybe that was what the magic could do with your previous body. The bigger legs are still attached to you, phasing through the floor as you move. Well, while being yourself a small winged lizard, those legs are definitely not inconspicuous.

-Very small light hot biometal drake:
[Small]
[Very light+2]
[Yields]
[Soft]
[Naturally sharp]

((Congratulations, you are a glass cannon. Well, no, you are rather a glass spoon, but let's not get really deep into analogies))

Well, let's keep adding more and more SCIENCE, then!
G-149 + G-177. In case of an attack, activate the same plan I sent in the last turn (should I send another message for it?)

You do science while the fight continues:

[Pot:4+1=5]
A golden line appears and draws what seems to be a star. No, a starfish. With a flash of light, it materializes into sand and falls to the ground, where it breaks parts of its limbs. Poor little thing... wait, how do you know if it is alive? It is a starfish, after all, those don't do much. and, if it is alive, did you just killed it? Did you just terribly cripple it? OH, GOD, I CREATED LIFE AND MASSACRED IT!

The strange battle continues as Dexter is lost in thoughts and remorse.

"What a cute little kitty!"

Huehuehuehue

Quote from: EP
PM

Quote from: Beirus
PM

[Flimsy spd:1-1=0]
[Lion spd:1-1-1=-1]
[Robert spd:4-1=3]

The Diamond God has had enough of this! He stares at Systar, who seems to be trying to focus his magic powers:

Spoiler: Pot rolls (click to show/hide)

[Robert dex:5]
[Systar dex:2+1-1=2]

[Systar will:3]

Systar was too distracted to prevent the diamond God from getting a clear view of his body. His leg begun to glow with strength, and he felt quite bad about that. No matter how much he tried to shove the effect away, it seemed to stick to his right leg. Without asking permission, the leg flashed. The first thing he felt was a tremendous pull coming from it. The second thing he perceived was his leg having become some sort of semi-transparent dark matter, that was sucking everything inside of it. As it touched the air around it, it seemed that both the air and leg itself disappeared upon making contact.

[Systar str:1+1=2]
And Systar couldn't quite manage to prevent the suction force from pulling him, and he tripped, his two legs making contact with each other, suppressing their mutual existence as he fell. Quite desperate by this turn of events, he tried to examine his body. The stump where his healthy leg was is now bleeding strongly, while the one from the transformed leg was magically cauterized, maybe because of the transformation effect.

Anyway, he is now a torso attached to an arm, a head and the charred remains of another arm. Fuck.

Effects:
-3 to speed and dexterity. Because once you lose your legs, then your arms count for mobility too.

You also have:
[Heavy bleeding 3/3]

((The chances to prevent limb usage don't exist because you don't have that limb any more, I'm just using the same tag.))

Meanwhile, the Flimsy Wizard tried to get away from the damned wall once and for all:

[Flimsy str:3-1=2]
And with a final push he is able to do so! Yay! The lion seems hostile still, but it seems troubled by his bended back, left after crashing against his arm and the wall.

Oddly enough, while the feathered serpent is still against the wall, and there is still suction force, no matter is being pulled into the wall. Hmm, it appears to be full.

((Now that the wall is not causing damage any more, it allows for full pool regeneration, which will start next turn unless you keep in combat))

I love this game. So much. :P
HUZZARZ!

You jump again through the portal, only to appear yet again in the Portal Room. The Random Number Gods hate you. Deal with it.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 94dima94 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AoshimaMichio (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

GM comments

Aggressive transmutation rules:

Probably being a terribly devastating attack, as evidenced by this turn, it is quite complicated to pull off. There are two parts of this attack: the magic part and the physical one.
The magic part involves the caster rolling for Potency, where only the first roll will count towards the resist roll from the person receiving the spell. The receiving end will resist it with Will. If the Potency roll is greater than the Will roll, then the transformation will apply. The difference indicates the amount of turns it will last, not counting the turn it is applied. The target may spend a whole turn rolling to get rid of the transformation, using Will again. The scores of the rolls will be subtracted from the remaining turns of the spell.
The physical part involves the targeting, and whatever means it is used to do and resist so, it will determine the exposure. Between 1 and 3, a limb will be transformed. More than 3 will mean a full transformation.
If the target is transformed into a hazardous material (red page words mostly), it will be counted as an element casted with the same potency roll as the original one. Due to the rules of transformations, though, the "magical cauterization" mentioned will prevent the target from suffering from exposure from the hazardous element in case only a limb has been transformed. An exception of this rule is vacuum/black hole/that black suction force, because it actively pulls matter into it. Even in this case, if the target has no limbs to be pulled into it, then nothing will be pulled, due to the magical cauterization. Bear in mind that if this fact is abused it will be nerfed.

This rules extrapolate to other things, though. If you haven't noticed, transmutation of non-living objects only last for a limited duration, and that is because they employ the same rules as living beings, with the difference that not being alive makes them always roll a 0. So, they auto-fail the evading roll, and roll a 0 in the resisting roll. This causes these transformations to last the amount of turns equal to the potency roll of the caster.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

"Oh hell yes."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

"What a regrettable circumstance!  I am afraid your doom is at hand!"

Doooooooooooom!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Almost shot his own foot. With an arrow.
« Reply #1924 on: January 21, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »

Jack Vihmut in Arcane Room

Let's try different approach.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Well, on the bright side, I am now basically perfectly suited for magic, especially now that I can fix myself. Though I'm not sure why I got so small. That worries me. Maybe because I had less matter to use? But how to add more?

In the meantime...Can I fly? Can I still breathe fire?

If so...hehehehe....

Also, I think a fragile speedster might be the more appropriate thing to call me...after all, I have a bonus of plus-fucking-six to avoid getting hit by ranged weapon attacks from afar, if I can fly I can avoid melee, and if I can't fly I can still avoid melee because +4 Speed, bitches

This'll be fun
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, on the bright side, I am now basically perfectly suited for magic, especially now that I can fix myself. Though I'm not sure why I got so small. That worries me. Maybe because I had less matter to use? But how to add more?
The answer is somewhere in the thread.

In the meantime...Can I fly? Can I still breathe fire?
No and yes.

Also, I think a fragile speedster might be the more appropriate thing to call me...after all, I have a bonus of plus-fucking-six to avoid getting hit by ranged weapon attacks from afar, if I can fly I can avoid melee, and if I can't fly I can still avoid melee because +4 Speed, bitches
You have a terrible weakness, almost guaranteeed to one-shot you, and you will die pretty quickly to most attacks if they ever hit you. Also, the speed bonus only applies to fleeing and initiative. You can't avoid an ambush by speed means (because yo can't run away from something you don't know about), and any counter-attack you could attempt is futile.

In fact, you are a pretty niche and experimental feature here. I may make the dexterity bonus not apply to aimed spells casted by yourself if I see this coming out of control.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But...I have wings!

I MUST FLY

If my counterattack is firebreathing or magic-breathing, I think I'll be okay.

I have a terrible weakness? You mean like a 'this type of weapon will insta-gib you' or like 'you're a puny lizard with wings and fire'?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I bet I know what it is too!

Don't worry- I'm in no position to actually do anything about it, nor do I want to.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I bet I know what it is too!

Don't worry- I'm in no position to actually do anything about it, nor do I want to.

I'm guessing it's vacuums, since I can't hold on to anything worth a damn.

I will have to scrabble frantically away from any such devices, immediately followed to running up their pants-leg and ravaging their genitals to such a collection of clingy bits their father will retroactively go sterile and the soul will pop out where I can eat it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Vacuum will be hard to hit you with if you don't go near one, which means if you stay above people and not near walls, they'd have to peg you in midair, which is pretty unfeasible.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a ceiling.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

I envision the main room as having a fairly high ceiling.  If so, that'd make it awfully hard to black hole someone flitting about.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's about as tall as that wall Bigfoot summoned. Little higher.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vacuum will be hard to hit you with if you don't go near one, which means if you stay above people and not near walls, they'd have to peg you in midair, which is pretty unfeasible.
can't fly yet. yeah, makes me sad too. useless wings.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 197