Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 314023 times)

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Crushed!
« Reply #2715 on: November 16, 2015, 02:18:08 am »

((In regards to the balance change, I is a little sad, given that if you wanted to not kill yourself with that "extra action" you do have to spend a few extra points in Will, which I personally felt balanced it out somewhat.
Anyways, back to MURDERRR!))

AGAIN! Please
I've got enough Pool to give that another (hopefully not embarrassing) shot :P
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: November 16, 2015, 02:43:47 am »

((Or horrible side effects for failing control actions, especially contested ones!))

"So this is how it Space Ends!"

Waitlist!  I'll edit in a sheet when my mind is clearer.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: November 16, 2015, 03:18:06 am »

Someone gotta pick up that boring literal book. It's a telepathic encyclopedia, no?

I don't know what anyone gonna do to me, but whatever.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

blazing glory

« Reply #2718 on: November 16, 2015, 06:11:20 am »

Well I don't want your silly book.

Stick my finger in the goo because that seems like a great idea.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: November 16, 2015, 06:57:13 am »

((In regards to the balance change, I is a little sad, given that if you wanted to not kill yourself with that "extra action" you do have to spend a few extra points in Will, which I personally felt balanced it out somewhat.
The same thing applies to potency. And the death of endlessblaze, as I said, was a really, really unlucky one.

In fact, I just feel that will was until this point very much like a parallel potency, without the pool mechanic. Given that most will actions would consume two pool if done through potency, I felt like "Once every two turns" would be the equivalent of basically giving will actions two pool points which regenerate at the same rate as normal pool, without having to manage the extra stat.

Anyways, back to MURDERRR!))

About the system you are proposing, you are basically asking for a pool mechanic for will, or a similar method. While I like the idea of mental exhaustion, I will first try with the once every two turns, but I think that I will also test the other method.

The penalties could scale like
1st use: just a warning.
2nd use: -1 to will and spd.
3rd use: -2 to will and spd, -1 to the rest of the stats.
4th use: -2 to every stat. No pool regeneration.

Now, the diminishing returns are nice, but I fear that some of them may be inconsequential for high-stat characters, as the risk of killing yourself basically becomes 0 with a +3 to will. Yet, as they would be fighting other characters of similar strength, this wouldn't matter so much.

((Or horrible side effects for failing control actions, especially contested ones!))
Now, this would be promising, but the limited nature of control makes it difficult to create meaningful side effects. As an example, let's see your fight with Derm: you lost the will attack, but the only thing that could be affected, other than Derm, was your axe, because you only had biometal control. So, the only other thing to do would have been to make the axe attack yourself. Otherwise, there wasn't much else to work with. On the other hand, if you are made of the material affected by a control element (or if you are the control element yourself), the counter-attack could directly damage you.

But, right now, there isn't much to do. A counter-attack that affects your mind a gives you a kind of penalty to will actions could work, though.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: November 16, 2015, 09:13:21 am »

In PW's game, I recall mental feedback being a thing; stuns and complete lockups, I believe.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: November 16, 2015, 09:33:47 am »

In PW's game, I recall mental feedback being a thing; stuns and complete lockups, I believe.

Thing is, the severity of the counter attack should be similar to the severity of the attack. A difference of three, with the relative reduced mortality of this game, should not entail mayor damage. In the extreme of a difference of 6, then we can start talking about stuns/unconciousness and lethal force.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: November 16, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »

Oh sure, but [Head: Pain] is a thing; miss by one-ish and throw a -1 to your will/pot rolls for a turn?

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: November 17, 2015, 02:18:06 pm »

PM

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: November 17, 2015, 02:32:45 pm »

Science till I die-nce! Yell it out loud!

"Y-124   Coniliri!
Y-176   Sioruruui!
Y-178   Estin!
Y-185   Quaeri!
Y-194   Aturumatu!
Y-176   Sioruruui!
Y-178   Estin!"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribulations in Magic: Doomed doofus
« Reply #2725 on: November 27, 2015, 10:03:26 am »

Turn 136

Even more unhappy now, Sadfaec tries to focus potency. It's hard, but he finds a way to concentrate his despair into something that might be able to help him out of this slump.

He closes his eyes, focuses his anger, and shouts:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Okay, my costume might not be scary, but I bet this will be!

Someone gotta pick up that boring literal book. It's a telepathic encyclopedia, no?

I don't know what anyone gonna do to me, but whatever.

Well I don't want your silly book.

Stick my finger in the goo because that seems like a great idea.

[Ghostly spd:6-1-2=3]
[Redz spd:2-1=1]
[Marky spd:3-1=2]

The relative calmness of the Arcane Room is interrupted by a dude wearing a white sheet pretending to be a ghost with the level of detail a 3 year old kid would have. He enters from the East and shouts some words:

[Ghostly pot:4+1=5]

And a purplish-dark fog covers the Wizard, with a swirling mass of both what appear to be cogs and spooky tribal faces drawn by glowing purple and silver lines, which appear to be coliding with each other, forming other similar shapes. An odd occurrence, one has to admit.

Roll against Entropy:
[Ghostly will:2-1-10]

Roll against Inertia:
[Ghostly will:2-1-1=0]

What can barely be seen within the darkness is a man contorting wildly, as the two different coloured lines penetrate his body and creep through his skin, both colors colliding and repelling each other. The struggle over the Wizard's body continues as he frantically moves, scratching his head, like trying to pull something out of it. Eventually his futile attempts at doing so stop, but the uncomfortable movements don't, as now the strange lines have grouped in specific limbs, the colors having segregated themselves into a uniform shade of purple, on the left side of the poor Ghostly Wizard, and a silver one, on the right side. Now, the limbs are erratically moved against each other, as if they were attempting to hit the different coloured ones. The Wizard falls to the ground in this chaotic display of an extradimensional attack of epilepsy, but slowly the silver portion of the lines starts to recede, and the wiggling of the limbs stops, and finally the Wizard stands back, now fully covered in purple lines, which seem to change into different shapes erratically.

It stands with an oddness about him. Like if he wasn't the doofus he was when he entered the room.

The Ghostly Wizard has been permanently possessed by the forces of Entropy. He is no longer under the control of a Player. But he will still act as one, for all purposes it involves. Elephant Parade is free to rewaitlist again.

The figure behind the swirling darkness and the white sheet stares at Marky for a brief, uncomfortable time, then launches himself after him, with his arms extended towards his neck:

["Ghostly" dex:5-1-1=3]
[Marky dex:2-1=1]

The possessed figure gets hold of Marky's throat, and the odd black fog surrounding it seems to try to affect his person in some dark way. He tries to resist it:

[Marky end:4]
And despite a great effort in repelling it, the fog managed to penetrate his head somehow, he can feel how it sucks his concentration away!

[Enveloping Darkness: Potency.1]

But there is not time to think about that, he has to break free of the hold before his throat gets crushed:

[Marky str:6-1=5]
["Ghostly" str:3-1=2]

Fortunately, he breaks the grip, and moves backwards, eyeing the odd person with a mixture of fear and confusion.

Redz, meanwhile, ignoring both guys fighting over apparently nothing, does some of his magic:

[Pot:3+1=4]
A golden line appears, and draws a humanoid figure. Well, actually, a human. With a flash of light, the homunculus materializes into steel. Instantly, it starts to move and look around, until his confused face fixates on you. With a worried voice, it asks:

"Wh-what is happening?"

You grab your book, uncertain on what to answer it. It doesn't do anything remarkable, but the mental speech it emits periodically has changed into "Be hold".

PM

The Tribal fiend stays near you, minding his own business. You, on the other hand, do some science:

[Pot:1+1=2]
You get a weir mental image, but it is not definite enough to discern anything.

[Pot:5]
You get a vision, one of fire and brimstone, devilish shadows dancing around, and pits of flames. The earth is of a bloody red color, and pillars of flames erupt randomly from cracks on the ground. Screams of agony seem to come from many places at once, maybe from everywhere, and red-skinned demons, in varying sizes and forms, wander around, mischief in their faces, evil in their eyes.

The vision then ends, fortunately.

A golden line appears and draws what appears to be some greaves, but they vanish after a brief time.

Science till I die-nce! Yell it out loud!

"Y-124   Coniliri!
Y-176   Sioruruui!
Y-178   Estin!
Y-185   Quaeri!
Y-194   Aturumatu!
Y-176   Sioruruui!
Y-178   Estin!"

The dragon shouts for the whole arena to listen:

A golden line appears, and draws a warhammer.

[Pot:2-1=1]
Another line appears, but this one moves erratically and does nothing interesting.

[Pot:3-1=2]
Nothing happens. Hmm.

[Pot:2]
A golden line appears, and proceeds to wiggle and do nothing else.

[Pot:3]
Another golden line. This one draws what seems to be a long handle attached to a kind of head, but it is not definite enough to know what is being drawn. Of course, if you paid attention to your science, you should know.

[Pot:1]
Another line that moves oddly, this time until it makes a knot out of itself.

Anyways, back to MURDERRR!

AGAIN! Please
I've got enough Pool to give that another (hopefully not embarrassing) shot :P

[Bigf01t spd:3]
[Hydra spd:4]

The monstrous thing charges forward again, tentacle limbs reaching for Bigf01t's legs:

[Hydra dex:1]
[Bigf01t dex:6+1=7]

But it slips and falls to the ground, just in front of his foe! Bigf01t uses this opportunity to try to bash its ugliest face with his flesh-dissolving shield:

[Bigf01t dex:6]
[Hydra dex:4]

[Bigf01t str:4+1=5]

The steel lands squarely on the maw of teeth, plenty of the obsidian implements in charge of nasty biting are removed from their places, while the hiss of the dissolved flesh makes some of them fall on their own. The creature stands back, visibly hurt and stunned by this severe hit. Bigf01t uses the opportunity to strike back with magic:

[Pot:4+1=5]

[Hydra dex:4-1=3]
[Hydra will:5-1=4] ((one soul damage))

The floor beneath the monstrosity glows and is quickly transformed into a green mass of souls. The creature falls in, dispersing the spirits of the damned, but not without suffering from their attempts to yank its soul away. Interesting... the platform seems to be thicker than what Bigf01t thought, judging by the relative depth of the pit. But it should not be too deep, right?

Well, it is not time to think, it is time to stab:

[Bigf01t dex:4+1=5]
[Hydra dex:3-1=2]

[Bigf01t str:4+1=5]

[Hydra will:1] ((3 soul damage!))

And a moderately powerful stab to the creature's midsection opens the path fit more damned soul to pour through the cursed blade towards the beast, which screams in agony for a brief time. It seems that Bigf01t is gaining the upper hand here.

Quote from: Beirus
NO ACTION

You feel the chill running down your spine. You are so used to this that it makes you think you have been slacking too often.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NAV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: H4zardZ1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Illgeo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: blazing glory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Possessed by Entropy (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Doomed doofus
« Reply #2726 on: November 27, 2015, 11:40:44 am »

Control concrete self?

Will that work?

Yeah, let's try it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

blazing glory

« Reply #2727 on: November 27, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »

"Urrgh, that doesn't feel good..."

"Orqua Tersse!"

Try to aim it at the guy.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: November 27, 2015, 07:39:51 pm »

Not what I expected, but still amazing.

Spoiler: Incorporeal Wizard (click to show/hide)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: November 28, 2015, 12:44:25 am »

"Dunno."
Tic toc tic toc tic toc ____

EDIT:
Quote from: Last turn
2-1-10
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:43:54 am by H4zardZ1 »