Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 313424 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: failing at magical science.
« Reply #2850 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:17 am »

[Pot:2+1=3]
A tiny golden line appears, and draws a small halberd. Small, because it seems more like a hand axe with a sharp tip, rather than a halberd. With a flash of light, it materializes into glass. You doubt that tit will be too durable, but who are you to judge that?
Look at the bolded part.

Looked at that and corrected it. Because I'm a boring man like that.

On other news, Toaster said that he didn't have time to play, so I'm instead choosing to put the next two waitlisters into the game so that we have a total of 8 players again.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: May 03, 2016, 03:13:55 am »

Can i ask questions to Guide right now?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

blazing glory

« Reply #2852 on: May 03, 2016, 04:31:14 am »

Eh, I'm floundering along and am not doing at all good, I'll drop out as well.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: May 03, 2016, 11:04:15 am »

I'm half tempted to drop (I just keep forgetting dangnammit), but I'll hang around a bit and try and at least give the newbies some help with the new (presumably unfriendly) arrival.

Steel myself and focus my inner CHHHIIIIII! (While a sufficient distance from the magna-wood)

(Focus ALL DA SPEEDS. THINK FAST. GOTTA GO FAST.)

((PS: For my focus flavortext I am totally ok with any megalomania inspired Steel Ghostrider evil laughter, but ultimately, up to YOU O ALL POWERFUL GM))
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: May 03, 2016, 02:42:41 pm »

Try to lure him to edge, then trip or will him off.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »

Say 2 words, thinking of a shield, breastplate, or protective wall. Assuming it's something that can be carried, pick it up and carry it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:40 am »

Need an answer
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: May 04, 2016, 07:37:21 am »

Need an answer

Oh, my bad. I thought that I had answered this. Yes, you can. You can always ask questions to the guide, but the quality of the answers may vary depending on the question...

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: May 04, 2016, 09:34:33 am »

Need an answer

Oh, my bad. I thought that I had answered this. Yes, you can. You can always ask questions to the guide, but the quality of the answers may vary depending on the question...
Okay then...
"Guide, define properties of Miasma and search for any notes about 'Vision', 'Recursive' and 'Steampunk'."
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:41 am »

Okay then...
"Guide, define properties of Miasma and search for any notes about 'Vision', 'Recursive' and 'Steampunk'."

The head of the Guide phases through the ceiling, and starts by speaking in a plain and unexpressive tone:

"Accessing Medical Department's notes:"

Then you begin hearing a different voice. A female one:

"...This is a purple substance, normally in gaseous state, called "Miasma" for its association with corpses, which acts as a pathogen capable of disrupting the normal activities of organic bodies. It is powerful enough to end the life of a person in a much shorter period of time than any normal virus, causing effects since the subject in question has been exposed to it. Yet, its potential as a biological weapon is reduced by the fact that the pathogen doesn't multiply on its own. Instead, it is necessary a high exposure to it to become lethal. Tests indicate that the immune system can and does fight back this Miasma, so for it to have lethal effects not only high amounts of exposure are needed, but also in quick succession. Before arriving to the lethal stage, it seems to transition through two less dangerous and fairly simple stages; on the first one, the subject has frequent cough, as the body tries to expel the Miasma from the lungs, and a second stage in which the concentration of this substance in the gastric system creates a sensation of nausea and occasional vomits. The final and lethal stage, whose symptoms are a general feel of illness and increasing numbness, is in which the substance reveals its true potential and causes quick necrosis when it reaches its peak of infection."

After a brief pause, you hear the voice of the Guide again:

"Accessing Lead Researcher's notes:"

And now you hear a clearly male voice:

"...they are normally manifested on its own as visions about a particular subject which seem to derive from both natural and fictional elements. Judging by how these words can manifest things like what would be considered "Demonic" in the Christian religions, or our own pop culture estimations for what is the future, it seems that these words were even tailored for us. It goes way beyond both my area of expertise and my job, but it makes one wonder if these words can be crafted, if the ability to metaphysically alter the world is just a product of a forgotten science... but I digress. Going back to the topic, these "Thematic" words, as I have decided to label them, seem to just cause superficial and mostly unnecessary modifications to shape words, with the occasional practical benefits if one happens to find a lucky combination. I'm classifying them in the Appendix for a lack of a better way to assimilate them to our own code structure."

The voice ends, and after a brief instant, the immaterial head of the Guide starts to move its lips again, and its voice is heard inside your mind:

"The serach for "Recursive" didn't bring any relevant results. Searching database for "Steampunk"..."

"Another thematic word. This one seems to derive from what in pop culture is known as "Steampunk". I won't waste research time describing its effects with a high degree of precision, and so I will limit myself to say that this word modifies shapes to add various gears, cranks, and occasionally non-functioning steam pipes. The utility of the word is limited to these simple mechanisms, and as such I won't dedicate more time on it."

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: May 04, 2016, 11:46:17 am »

"Guide, search for any notes about 'Telepathy'"
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:38 pm »

"The applications of this word may very well be beyond my imagination. Basically, this word gives some kind of telepathic ability. The ability to interpret foreign thoughts at a distance, and send your own may prove to be invaluable in communications... if only the strength of the word allowed for distant travel. Physical objects created with this word emit these thoughts that everyone in their vicinity can hear, how to put it, "inside their heads", but the messages sent are little more than single-word descriptions of the action the object is performing, which usually defaults to just lay on the ground. Still, this offers insight into yet another sign of manifested intelligence in these words, as they can translate actions to our language. The most impressive use of these words is when applied to living organisms, as they gain the ability to transfer messages to other living organisms. The ability to interpret foreign thoughts seems to be restricted to individuals with exceedingly high concentration skills, and as far as I know only the Lead Researcher of the Medical Department has enough capability to perform this, which is annoying. When used on its own, this word actually creates incomplete thoughts that can be heard by those in close proximity. As there is an actual effect coming from the use of this word on its own, I can't classify it as a modifier. I'm codifying it as a material until we develop more the coding system. I wonder about the implications of this coupled with the infamous control... further research is needed."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: May 04, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »

((Say something like "Elaborate on the last line", or "I request further information about interaction between 'Control' and 'Telepathy'"; I'd do it myself if I were in the magma room with you))
The Cyan Menace

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: May 04, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »

Anybody can ask something from the guide at any moment. But the more elaborate a question gets, the less likely a response can be given.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: May 04, 2016, 03:09:48 pm »

Anybody can ask something from the guide at any moment. But the more elaborate a question gets, the less likely a response can be given.
((But I only know what he just said because of meta reasons! :P))

"Guide, do you have any notes about the apendix of the book?"
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 197