Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 311093 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: With even more examples of bad Wizardry.
« Reply #1905 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07:24 am »

The naginita could have severed them, at least.  I aimed it at legs many-a-time.
And those strikes either missed or didn't have many effects. Mako ended up gutted, Derm was cut in half. Being a weapon designed mainly for cutting at a distance, a naginata would be quite bad at hacking and severing limbs. It doens't mean that it can't happen, though, but that is to keep rules simply. Mainly because you wouldn't want your naginata stuck in somebody's body.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: January 19, 2015, 10:08:24 am »

Or in somebody's wall.   I should conjure a replacement at some point.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Almost shot his own foot. With an arrow.
« Reply #1907 on: January 19, 2015, 01:45:44 pm »

Jack Vihmut in Arcane Room

"Monkey? I didn't ask for any monkeys!"

This can't get any worse, therefore I'll make more bad decisions.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: January 19, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »

This can't get any worse
Remember that you are playing a Perplexicon game. There is always something worse.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: January 19, 2015, 01:53:48 pm »

This can't get any worse
Remember that you are playing a Perplexicon game. There is always something worse.
Naturally, that's why I'm making more bad decisions.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: January 19, 2015, 02:37:01 pm »

Yeah; in my game Xantalos cast a spell that would make his head explode if he ever activated it.  Sadly, he did not activate it.

"What a cute little kitty!"

Huehuehuehue

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: January 19, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »

Yeah; in my game Xantalos cast a spell that would make his head explode if he ever activated it.  Sadly, he did not activate it.

What about the cloth guy? That one was funny.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: January 19, 2015, 02:53:08 pm »

That was just horrible, horrible, luck on his part, and me being pretty cruel on 1-pot rolls.  If I ran that again I'd make those a little less nasty.  (Same with the wand; that thing was way too dangerous to use; I just wanted it to be too unpredictable, not too dangerous.)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: January 19, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »

That was just horrible, horrible, luck on his part, and me being pretty cruel on 1-pot rolls.  If I ran that again I'd make those a little less nasty.  (Same with the wand; that thing was way too dangerous to use; I just wanted it to be too unpredictable, not too dangerous.)
Unpredictable in Perplexicon almost always means dangerous, even more if the effect is upon yourself. In fact, how could that wand be less dangerous, if what it did was to transform a part of your body into something random? Almost anything, including weapons, would cripple yourself. How many, of the total amount of words, could be strictly beneficial, without any drawbacks? That's why that randomness was dangerous.

You can consider an example in this game: the purple sheep that ended with the dragon head. I just wanted to showcase a mechanic, and ended up with a dangerous NPC roaming around just by sticking to the randomness of it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: January 19, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »

The problem with the wand was the [Wand:X] roll you saw was actually an unmodifiable pot roll for the wand.  If it rolled 1 (which was always a 1 in 6 chance) the user suffered any negative consequences.  I had intended it to have a heavy risk of doing something useless in a tense situation (like shoot a belt made of hair straight backwards) but it ended up being more dangerous than anything else.

If I made it again, the wand would roll 1d5+1, making it more likely to do *something* but still with a 20% chance to fail; I might even make it so a final roll of 2 always does nothing instead of "a tiny useless X" that normally casting it would give.

It's weighted to just shoot random crap where it's pointing, though it is possible for it to roll 10: Exploding Magma which detonates in the caster's face for maximum hilarity.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:08 am »

Although I ended up possessing the wand (or at least I think I did) I never wanted to use it for that reason, it was simply too unpredictable and far too likely to backfire.

I could see someone using it in a fit of desperation, but yea. Not for me. I'll take garden-variety, reliable, mutilation thanks.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: January 20, 2015, 07:05:06 am »

I'll take garden-variety, reliable, mutilation thanks.

I think that I will sig this, if you don't mind.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:18 pm »

Well, let's keep adding more and more SCIENCE, then!
G-149 + G-177. In case of an attack, activate the same plan I sent in the last turn (should I send another message for it?)
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: January 20, 2015, 12:49:29 pm »

Well, let's keep adding more and more SCIENCE, then!
G-149 + G-177. In case of an attack, activate the same plan I sent in the last turn (should I send another message for it?)
No, I have it.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:10 pm »

Keep trying stuff! I must find... well, something interesting.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 197