Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 315012 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribulations in Magic: Too many bosses V.2
« Reply #2190 on: March 26, 2015, 06:49:51 am »

Turn 108

Again.

You feel that this is getting repetitive:

[Pot:5+1=6]
[Will:3-1=2]

Now a big boomerang appears in front of you, and is fired in a random direction. It collides against the wall, evading the crystal pyramids acting as arcane batteries, and then falls to the ground, still crackling with electricity. You notice that you have no further control over it, no matter how hard you use your scarce willpower to manipulate it. Maybe you should find an actual way to control stuff with your will, rather than just applying a force in the desired direction at the creation of the element.

FOR SCIENCE!

You put on your mad scientist glasses and do some crazy science:

[Pot:4+1=5]
A golden line appears, then splits into five different lines. Each of them draws a crossbow bolt, with the bow of a crossbow attached to each of them. With a flash of light, they materialize into steel, with a little octariney line acting as an explosive bowstring for those little bolt-crossbows. You also note various carvings, like that of circuitry, around said bolts, and each of them shows more of an octariney glow lying underneath the bolt-crossbows (because, obviously, they are not crossbow-bolts, that would be an utterly confusing way to call them). Overall these little things look cool, but quite impractical. Not to mention that they are not self-sustaining crossbows from the future, like you had planned. Maybe you should do more science, until you find a means to make an object spit another magically.

Quote from: Derm
PM

Well, time for that crossbow you have always dreamed of!

[Pot:5+1=6]
A thick, golden line appears, then begins to draw an amazing contraption: a huge crossbow, lined with gears and mechanisms tied to a crank, all designed to help the user to charge it by just using it. The crank allows to load the crossbow in an efficient and comfortable manner, while still managing to keep all that progress made from that strenuous effort that is to load a crossbow. With a flash of light, it materializes into iron, with shiny silver decorating its outside, giving it a fashionable look.

-Iron/silver steampunk crossbow:
You can roll every turn for strength to charge it, until you cumulatively get a 6 or more. Once then, it can be fired as a 6-strength shot. You can only try to charge it once per turn.

Quote from: endlessblaze
PM

Trying again!

[Pot:1]
[Will:1]

You notice that you did something wrong, even more wrong than last time. Both your arms begin to glow oddly and unpredictably, flickering like a malfunctioning light bulb. Then, they flash with light, and you don't feel the any-more. In their place, there are diamond rapiers, one for each arm lost. You can't feel them, meaning that they are not part of your body. But, for some reason, they are still attached to you.

-Arms are inert diamond rapiers:
[Piercing weapon]
-2 to wresling.

The Space Wizard! looked at what just entered.

"He did it!"

With a point at Derm, he bolted.

NOPE off down the southern hallway.  Also try that same spell again.

You quickly go through the SE hallway, going past an angry metal cat, then through the Magma Room, going past a confused guy with two diamond rapiers for arms. Ha! and some dare to call you crazy here. Anyway, you arrive to the Southern Hallway, and you try to create that thing again:

[Pot:5]
A golden line now draws a standard-sized chest piece, joined to a standard-sized helmet. With a flash of light, it materializes into solid steel. You try it on:

-Steel Helmet and chest armor:
[Smooth surface]

Quote from: NAV
PM

Quote from: Dorsidwarf
PM

[TNI spd:1] ((Plus many maluses, you lose a turn))
[Doris spd:4-1=3]
[Lion spd:1+1=2]

Doris unleashes a hopefully offensive spell at the metal lion:

[Doris pot:6-1=5]

[Doris dex:1+1=2]
[Lion dex:5+1=6]

She tries to fix her sight upon the cat, but it quickly jumps away, and she ends up looking at the floor in the exact moment the spell activates. A patch of it begins to glow, and suddenly it flashes with light, revealing a that a stone head with a cone of the aforementioned material acting as a sort of hat, now occupy a hole in the ground. Well, fuck, that failed.

An odd noise comes from the ceiling, and everybody turns their heads to the hole in it:

[?? dex:5+2=7]
[Lion dex:6+1-1=6]

A figure quickly falls from the ceiling over the animal, which, despite being pretty nimble, got hit in a paw, which instantly exploded in an octariney mesh of colors and heat.

The figure had its fall quite safe because it actually slowed as it reached the floor, inertia losing its momentum, apparently by the creature's desire. It was a silverish humanoid, clad in glowing, geometrical tattoos, wearing nothing but some golden bands across his body. Its face was elongated and alien, lacking a nose altogether. Two glowing silver eyes stared not at the metal lion, but at the two people staring perplexed at him. The metal lion pulled back, scared of the creature.

The humanoid pulled both his hands from the ground, where there are two holes now. A pair of crystal gauntlets covered its hands, and two short but thick beams of arcane energy came out of the gauntlets as blades, ready to stab anybody at hands reach. They looked slightly transparent, like if weakened, for some reason.

The creature finally spoke:

This is what you are doing, AT corporation? Farming for souls? You can't, you couldn't, escape the inevitable! We will conquer you all. YOU WILL ALL FALL UNDER OUR CONTROL! AND WE SHALL BEGIN BY TURNING THIS PETTY GAME OF YOU AGAINST YOURSELVES. ALL THESE SOULS SHALL BE OURS!

SECRET BOSS UNLEASHED: The Zealot ((see GM's comments))

Doris decides to run the hell away to the Greenhouse Room, leaving Not Igor alone with the creature.

Fortunately for Not Igor, most of the pitch has flown out of himself and he can move better now. He is still flammable, though.

The metal lion suddenly flashed with light, and became a boulder, the magic transformation having expired.

[♪]

Quote from: Beirus
PM

[DM ?? spd:5]
[Robert spd:2+1+1=4]

The possessed Knight continues with his reckless onslaught, first by shouting some high-pitched gibberish which is obviously a spell of some kind:

[DM ?? pot:3]

[Robert str:6-1-1=4]
[DM ?? str:5+2=7]

A small ball of a semi-transparent substance appeared and begun to pull everything towards it, but both combatants manage to resist it. The Knight continued, this time with his hellish blade:

[DM ?? dex:3+1-1-1=2]
[Robert dex:5+1+1=7]

A brutish swing was easily avoided by Robert, who in turn kept trying to suck away the Knight's soul:

[Robert pot:1+1=2]

But he didn't manage to create anything but some moaning in front of him. The Knight suddenly grabbed his ow head, and the runes across his body begun to slowly go away just as some painful grunts came from him.

"W-What? What happened?"

He stared at Robert for a brief time, then turned around, looking for that floating head.

"Guide! Relate what happened!"

Robert heard inside his head, maybe just like the Doomknight himself:

"Timothy was possessed by the opposed force codename "Inertia".  Repeated failed melee attacks and magic attacks from Timothy followed, as well as failed magic attacks from Robert."

The Knight turned to Robert:

"Why did you do that? Why the hell did you mess with the opposing forces? You didn't achieve anything!"

And, just before Robert could speak, he flashed with light, and suddenly found himself back in human form. In a short, human form.

Oh, crap.

"Okay... Let's pretend this never happened, and prepare for fight again, shall we?"

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dorsidwarf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NAV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: endlessblaze (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

GM's comments

So, the Zealot was a hidden boss that would appear once someone decided to make a hole at the ceiling. It is hostile and now that he has been unleashed, you can't go back. He is not very powerful, though, but it makes the most out of its limited power. Fear him!

Inspiration: Starcraft's Zealots.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Too many bosses V.2
« Reply #2191 on: March 26, 2015, 06:55:46 am »

(So I can't move my raipers? Dang it! Derm I hope you know how to fix this!)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:29 am »

(So I can't move my raipers? Dang it! Derm I hope you know how to fix this!)

You have no joints in your arms with which to move them. You can use them to stab stuff, but you can't grab nor do anything fancy with them

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 26, 2015, 07:28:14 am »

(why did they replace my arms anyway?)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 26, 2015, 07:29:55 am »

(why did they replace my arms anyway?)

Because you rolled badly in pot, then you rolled badly in the roll to resist the effects rolling badly.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:14 am »

(yikes. the random number gods must not be happy with me....)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 26, 2015, 07:32:46 am »

Yes. It tends to happen much more often than what I would like in this game.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 26, 2015, 08:21:27 am »

Were I to host one of these again, I'd make a "miscast table" with several things that could happen on bad pot rolls, and not all of them would be as bad as "your <body part> turns to <element>.  It might just appear over your head, which has a nice effect of self-balancing based on the danger of the spell.  Sand over your head, you cough a bit.  Magma over your head...  The general idea is to make pot:1 miscasts a bit less maiming.  Pot:0 or worse is still horrible for you, as it should be.

Also, iron armor?  Sure that's not steel?

"Now we're talking!  Not quite Space Armor! but it'll do for a budding Space Wizard! like myself!"

Let's make some Space Accessories! to go with it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 26, 2015, 08:36:40 am »

Yes I know how to fix it.

God damn, Iron Axe Feet, ya know?

Limited internet access. Will fix later.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 26, 2015, 08:48:45 am »

Also, iron armor?  Sure that's not steel?

Yes, it is steel. I keep confusing those two for some reason.

Were I to host one of these again, I'd make a "miscast table" with several things that could happen on bad pot rolls, and not all of them would be as bad as "your <body part> turns to <element>.  It might just appear over your head, which has a nice effect of self-balancing based on the danger of the spell.  Sand over your head, you cough a bit.  Magma over your head...  The general idea is to make pot:1 miscasts a bit less maiming.  Pot:0 or worse is still horrible for you, as it should be.

The problem with those things is that, well, some miscasts may become useful. Imagine what would happen if the diamond rapier had apeared over his head? Yeah, he may have injured himself (albeit not terribly), but he would have got the rapier anyway. The loss of a body part almost always has a drawback. And that's the main idea. I thought that the secondary roll would help (after all, the possibilities of two ones in a row are of 3%), but for some reason they have happened more often that what I had desired. Either that or I'm paying too much attention to them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 26, 2015, 08:54:46 am »

It would be take into account the "difficulty" of the spell somehow; for example, in this case, with the miscast result of "appear over head" it might appear mangled, fused, and unusable, or perhaps just shatter or evaporate, or something else to be generally useless.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 26, 2015, 08:56:00 am »

Yes. It tends to happen much more often than what I would like in this game.
no I mean im in a lot of RTD games right now. last turn in roll to magic? got a cut on my forehead and fialed my counter attack.
inexorable? failed to duplicate a plant.
and now I have turned my arms into (almost) useless lumps of diamond (if they were not inert I would be rather over joyed)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:01 am »

It would be take into account the "difficulty" of the spell somehow; for example, in this case, with the miscast result of "appear over head" it might appear mangled, fused, and unusable, or perhaps just shatter or evaporate, or something else to be generally useless.

That would be better, yes. Maybe I could tone down the body part losing in exchange of a self attack from your own spell at high will rolls. Maybe by giving an extra roll to evade the thing.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:55 am »

Start hollering at the top of my voice about 'demons coming through the roof!' And run back to help scientist fellow. Do PM action when I've sent it.

'Hold in, steel science man! Dinner lady Doris is here to save the day!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:32 pm »

There is a one out of thirty-six chance of rolling two ones in a row, so, on average, a failure like that should happen every four to six turns, assuming that everyone is doing something that can lead to those situation.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 197