Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 311127 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Too many bosses V.2
« Reply #2205 on: March 26, 2015, 04:04:02 pm »

There is a one out of thirty-six chance of rolling two ones in a row, so, on average, a failure like that should happen every four to six turns, assuming that everyone is doing something that can lead to those situation.

Why four to six turns? One in a 36 chance should mean that it should happen once in 36 magic casts, unless you are factoring the amount of spells a player is using each turn, or the amount of players.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 26, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »

"Guide, define opposing forces in context to 'Inertia'.  Worth a try, at least."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:24 pm »

"Guide, define opposing forces in context to 'Inertia'.  Worth a try, at least."

An androgynous elf head phases through the ceiling and floats until it is looking at you from the same height your own head is at. It is made from that repulsive energy you already know, but for some reason you don't feel the push, like if the thing wasn't actually there. It opens its mouth, but you don't hear any sounds coming out of it, but rather, you hear a voice in your head:

"Searching database for "Opposing forces" and "Inertia"...
Accessing Researcher's notes...
Data found. Reproducing extract from "Lead Researcher's notes":

Then, you begin to hear a voice inside your head with which you are not familiar with, but it was one which may have been recognized by those who had survived until now:

"...Now, I'd like to move to an even more interesting concept. The words that I'm going to speak of now seem to cause strictly different effects than the rest, if one could even say that they cause a real effect at all, as they seem to operate on a different plane of existence, or at least on an undiscovered scale. The forces, as I haven't found another way to define them, are definitely sentient entities, or maybe many sentient entities acting as one, it is hard to specify with the scarce data we have until this moment. The words in question seem to allow these forces to operate in the actual world, on our own plane of existence, but they do not interfere with it physically. Instead, they attempt to subjugate the psyche of every living being in a definite radius, and covert them to their "cause". The means used to do this are still unknown and require further investigation. The creatures who fail to resist the forces show several symptoms, including violence towards non-affected creatures, loss of individuality, loss of self-preservation instinct, an apparent higher understanding of the word system and its effects, including knowledge of words which the creature didn't have before, change in the sound frequency of speech, glowing marks of a specific color appearing in forehead and the rest of the body, and an important hatred towards creatures affected or belonging to the other opposing force. The violent behaviour seems to prioritize affected members of the other force, then neutral entities, and almost intuitively, creatures affected by the same force are friendly between them. All these effects make it obvious that these words should be long to the Red category, where I'm putting them under the "Material" classification, due to the lack of a better term to label them to this point. Possible commercial uses are related to the military market, but appear to be impractical, with the most prominent use being to cause internal dissent..."

There is a pause, and the voice speaks again, but it doesn't seem to be speaking in the same context:

"... the subject shows similar symptoms to the elf. The prolonged exposure to this force, has completely transformed the dwarf into a servant of this force's "cause". Any hope of the subject returning to having normal cognitive processes has been lost, but solitary confinement will remain as his treatment, due to the impossibility of engaging in normal communication with him. Human methods of disposal are under consideration..."

The voice of the guide fills your head again:

Reproducing extract from "Medical Department's notes":

Now a female voice can be heard:

...psyche investigation didn't provide any meaningful insights. Both subjects have erratic and irrational thought patterns. The lack of coherence is common, with triggering factors appearing out of nowhere. The Lead Researcher has commented about a theory of his about how both subjects could be receiving orders from a yet not understood means. This could explain the randomness in their thoughts, but the evidence is still inconclusive...

After a brief pause, the guide speaks again inside your head:

Reproducing extract from "Breach report":

And the first voice is heard again:

"...The intruder proved a difficult to catch creature. Despite its humanoid form, it was exceedingly agile, and had an unnatural ability to dampen the forces applied against him, without any physical intervention. Now under containment and after examination, it can be concluded that the intruder was not under the effects of one of the opposing forces, but was an agent of it. Not only that, but it was perfectly capable of speech and intelligently answering our questions. Pulling information out of him proved difficult, so indirect means had to be used. The results were overwhelming. The creature appears to share to some degree a consciousness tied to one of the opposed forces, but still has some degree of individuality and self-preservation. The permanent character of its bond with the force could probably explain why it values itself more than its brainwashed counterparts. Between the plethora of threats, some useful information was gathered. To begin with, the "faction" it belongs to appears to be quite old in astronomical terms, but its age can't be made precise due to expressions used such as "since the beginning of time" or "old as the universe itself". The goal itself of the entity seems to be control, but for control's sake. It is highly capricious in appearance: it does not matter the outcome of the actions, as long as it (or maybe them) can determine the outcome, it does not matter. In fact, if the entire universe were to continue its current course, but there was not the other force to alter it, this force would have achieved its goal. These interesting results have leaded me to name this particular force "Inertia", because of its own nature: everything just has to continue as it is, no will other than theirs should be allowed to exist. This brings a nice point of differentiation towards..."

His voice slowly fades as the voice of the guide comes again into play:

Request completed. Anything else is required?

The head stays floating, not showing even the slightest degree of emotion.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 26, 2015, 06:38:00 pm »

"... Guide, Define your own function and parameters of search available to me. Otherwise, I request a 'table of contents' or 'Index'."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:39:48 pm by Dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 26, 2015, 07:00:53 pm »

"... Guide, Define your own function and parameters of search available to me. Otherwise, I request a 'table of contents' or 'Index'."

"Functions: information relay, temporary research database, arena announcer, organization of the maintenance systems of the arena, guiding beginner participants of the Magic Tournament. The Guide's functions are still under development and subject to change, according to the needs of AT corporation and its projects. The project for the Magic Tournament has currently been cancelled until further notice, and as such the functions related to it have been turned off."

You are classified as a Participant. Participants have access to information about the nature of the elements they have discovered or otherwise know of. The meaning of the words is not included in this set of information. In case an official definition of an element does not exist, alternative sources will be searched to gather information. AT corporation employs mostly official third-parties as sources of most of the information. In case some of them proving to be false, AT claims no responsibility for their mistake.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 26, 2015, 07:06:45 pm »

"So if I'm getting this right, you can clarify elements that I've encountered, but you cannot give me new elements? Hm. Guide, Define element 'Black fog that enters peoples skin'. Red list. And also anything special on Black Biometal and Silver."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:10:23 pm by Dermonster »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »

"Perhaps I can let you prepare. If...you share your wordlist with me. And when did we get a guide?"
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 26, 2015, 08:40:40 pm »

(I don't think that will work on him. Beirus wat r u doin)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 26, 2015, 08:43:46 pm »

((Being sociable before I kill him anyways.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 26, 2015, 11:10:29 pm »

((Being sociable before I kill him anyways.))
:P

Also good going Derm, testing the Guide. You may want to redefine your search term to "sentient black fog" tho, just for a touch more detail.

*Overhearing the useful and informative commotion with his biometal ears, Bigf00t tries for his own clarification:*
"Yo Guide! I would like to request information on the "immaterial/incorporeal" word, red page. This seems to make objects non-reactive to forces from our regular physics, what other information can you give on this word, or it's consequences/iterations to/with material objects?"

I will edit/post/supply words/turn soon, probably before Tomcost normally does his turn.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 26, 2015, 11:13:41 pm »

Oi, butt out. My guide time. you can have him after. :p

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 27, 2015, 12:19:58 am »

"Well this sure sucks."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:05 am »

"So if I'm getting this right, you can clarify elements that I've encountered, but you cannot give me new elements? Hm. Guide, Define element 'Black fog that enters peoples skin'. Red list. And also anything special on Black Biometal and Silver."

"Accessing Researcher's notes:
Reproducing extract from Lead Researcher's notes:"

"...This word is mostly an oddity, one that would give any physicist a headache. Fortunately for us, we are getting used to the violation of what we believed to be essential laws of nature. I call "Darkness" this particular word. Of course, any individual could immediately argue that darkness does not exist, that it is just the absence of light. This is where it gets tricky: that individual would be right, but the word in question still manages to create darkness, as if it were a substance. It manifests as a black fog that selectively blocks light, yet this event can only be understood at an intuitive level, and not in a scientific one. To begin with, it only blocks light that has been reflected by matter, but allows the passing of the source of light. This creates an oddity, that is the lack of a shadow. But not only that, if this darkness were to be between a light source and an element, the element would get illuminated, but if you happened to watch from the side of the light source, you wouldn't be able to see it. This carries us to the main question behind this: what does it block? It obviously doesn't selectively block specific wavelengths, otherwise it would only obstruct specific colors. It obviously works on a metaphysical scale, much like many of the other words...

... a curiosity about this darkness is the side effects of its contact with living organisms. There are several ways it could interact, which depend on the specific characteristics of the affected being to some extent. It can manifest physically by seemingly introducing itself into its host, which is only a cosmetic effect, but also affects negatively specific abilities of the being. Minor resistance to pain, lack of flexibility, muscle distension followed by impossibility of focusing them to exert your own strength, sense of increased weight and lack of reaction time, all these symptoms happen selectively one at a time, but for some reason those being which are already lacking in a certain area don't suffer even more in that capability. Coupled with the effects over the psyche of the host, which include lack of concentration, minor but annoying distortion in thoughts, and even the outright blocking of the metaphysical abilities to employ these words altogether, it seems clear that the word in question operates in a metaphysical level. The effect in question appears to be able to be influenced by the entity producing the darkness, but further investigation is needed to reach definite conclusions..."

There are no results regarding the words "Biometal" and "Special". Searching for "Silver" and "Special"...
Reproducing extract from Lead Researcher's notes:

"... These are the kind of things that I hate. Why is silver so special to this word? Maybe because of its association with those things that are holy? It is the only reason why it would ever provide some kind of impermeability to an element which represents its opposite..."

*Overhearing the useful and informative commotion with his biometal ears, Bigf00t tries for his own clarification:*
"Yo Guide! I would like to request information on the "immaterial/incorporeal" word, red page. This seems to make objects non-reactive to forces from our regular physics, what other information can you give on this word, or it's consequences/iterations to/with material objects?"

Bigf01t, after overhearing the conversation (or rather, just hearing it, because the mental message seems to have been given to everybody in the room), decides to ask his own thing:

Reproducing extract from Lead Researcher's notes:

"...This is another complex word, even if it is a modifier according to our classification system. Immaterial elements see to operate in another dimension, a dimension without anything at all. We still seem to be able to see them, which indicate that photons still operate in this plane of existence, but nothing else. They can't be touched or interacted with in any way, other than via light and other immaterial objects. Oddly enough, if one happened to break an immaterial vase, no sound would be heard in our dimension. This brings questions, but also answers some an intuitive level..."

Reproducing extract from Medical department's notes:

"..symptoms included ebullism and hypoxia. These conditions seem to relate to the total lack of matter and pressure in this "immaterial" dimension. The subject could be maintained alive for a brief period of time via control means, but the lack of oxygen meant that it was only delaying the inevitable. I'm speaking to the Research Department about the dangers of this word, hopefully its classification will be changed to reflect the dangers inherent to its usage.

"Perhaps I can let you prepare. If...you share your wordlist with me. And when did we get a guide?"

"What? No way! Not only I wouldn't do it, but... well, I barely remember some words..."

The DoomKnight then looked at the floating head of the Guide:

"That makes me remember. Guide, tell me which magic did I use to attack him."

"Negative matter was employed twice, with no effects on neither combatants"

"Oh, the black hole thing?" The Knight says, as he pulls some papers enclosed in a thin layer of that repulsive energy from inside his armor. He takes the papers out, which look oddly familiar, and begins to look at a red-colored page, then counts with his fingers something and concludes "Oh, yeah, it must be this one." he then puts his papers back where they were.

"Well, if Inertia thought that it was good against you, maybe I will use it as a last resource. So, shall we prepare again? Or should I chop you to bits right now?"

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 28, 2015, 07:27:10 am »

TURN IT ON IT'S HEAD!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 30, 2015, 07:49:33 pm »

pm I hope this works!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 197