Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zero-point energy lakes of INFINITE POWER - Yeah, it works.  (Read 2170 times)

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zero-point energy lakes of INFINITE POWER - Yeah, it works.
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:12:05 pm »

IN THE QUEST OF INFINITE POWER, I recently gave up on self-powering H2O reactors and moved on to zero-point energy reactors. Nan made (to the best of my knowledge) the first point on how this works right here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99317.0. The basic idea, is that Dwarf Fortress is a little weird in how it assigns the 'flowing' attribute to water - namely, water once flowing off of the map or into an aquifer tends to stay 'flowing' and able to power a water wheel, even when the actual movement of water stops.

My current fortress sits right on the shore of a temperate freshwater lake. I was thinking of how to get myself my mandatory infinite power, when I fell upon a very simple solution: the lake water was constantly being filled along the edge of a map, and there was a small stream connected to it that was flowing off of the map. It turns out that's enough to satisfy the game engine as far as 'flowing' water is concerned.

You'll notice that A. As expected, it does not impact frame-rate, and B. It's very easy to do, within your first year.

This goes to show that all lakes in Dwarf Fortress contain within them MAGICAL POWERS.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
Re: Zero-point energy lakes of INFINITE POWER - Yeah, it works.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:49:39 am »

If only real-life lakes could be so easily exploited for infinite power...
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »

Year 3, I'm now pulling out a rock-steady 3k power, and I still have space to expand to XD.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:25:04 pm »

I tried this and you can build them above ground by building an enclosure, pumping it full of water with a pump, and having water wheels in it. It also works underground but there is a chance that it will not work at all. In Moltenchannels one of these systems has been producing zero-point energy for years now. Another reactor was built at the same time but it never worked properly. Sparkgear XIII had an above ground system that was accidentally destroyed, likely due to player drunkenness on one of the turns.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.