Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarven "Special" Forces  (Read 20777 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven "Special" Forces
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:18:13 pm »

This is a thread for investigating unorthodox military strategies... which may or may not involve removing extraneous limbs.

To start off, I decided to create a squad of platinum crutch wielders. It's definitely not a new idea, but I have yet to find a post where anyone details the process or reports any results. I will describe how to create such a gimp squad and give some general impressions on its effectiveness. Unfortunately, I do not know how to test crutches as weapons in a controlled environment, since you can't get them in the arena.

Preparing the Volunteers

The first step is to... persuade each recruit he needs a crutch:

Spoiler: "Elective" surgery (click to show/hide)

The rig is pretty simple. The floor is covered with weapon traps (red), each with 1-2 green glass serrated discs. The patient must wear full metal armor (steel definitely works, but you could probably make do with iron, maybe even copper), with a mail shirt AND a breastplate. He should wear exactly one boot, which always goes on the right foot, incidentally. To begin surgery, cave in a floor tile behind some fortifications (upper left in the picture). The dust will toss the patient around the room, giving the discs plenty of opportunities to work their magic, i.e. sever the left foot. Amusingly, the dwarf often comes out of the cave-in with both feet intact, only to lose a foot later when he passes out due to pain.

This technique is pretty reliable in safely removing unwanted feet, since the discs only bruise through steel armor. However, the discs can break fingers, noses, and ears, and these will often become fatally infected. I lost 4 of 14 dwarves this way.

Incidentally, the same surgery rig can be used to amputate the hands which own the infected fingers.

Equipment and Training

The easiest way to ensure your recruits get platinum crutches is to forbid all other crutches from the stocks menu ('z'). If you want the dwarf to use his crutch as the primary weapon, he must equip it BEFORE equipping a shield. If he's already equipped a shield, just remove it from his uniform and add it again.

Training pretty much proceeds as usual, although you'll probably want to make your soldiers run some laps to level up their crutch-walking ability. As weapons, crutches use the Misc. Object User skill, so these dwarves will become better shield bashers while they learn to cane things to death.

Dwarves appear not to gain Misc. Object User or Crutch Walker from the upright spear glitch. However, I did have one dwarf gain about 500,000xp in Fighter while holding no weapon besides his crutch.

Combat Performance

These logs were taken from my last siege. Most of my crutchdwarves were in the Adept-Professional skill range for Misc. Object User. Platinum crutches are clearly as effective as any blunt weapon vs. goblins, shattering limbs with almost every strike. Against trolls, not so much--typically, nearly every strike was a bruise until the troll finally gave in to pain, at which point the dwarves would bash its skull in. For the record, that was not a controlled experiment, and the dwarf attacking the troll may have been less skilled than the one attacking the goblin.

I haven't yet had a chance to try these guys out on a forgotten beast. I think they'll actually do better than vs. trolls, since the trolls' extra-thick clothing is probably the reason for the crutches' poor performance.

Conclusion

It's actually a good idea to try to get your injured military dwarves platinum crutches if they're going to need crutches anyway. Deliberately maiming dwarves to make a cripple squad is actually a viable choice for siege defense, but it's not the easiest or the best defense. Still, it's not a bad plan if you want to give yourself...

( •_•)
( •_•)>⌐□-□
(⌐□_□)

a handicap.

Update 1/25/14: Read Part II: A Farewell to Arms!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven "Special" Forces
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »

Awesome. Love the way this is written up, couldn't help but laugh a bit.

interesting to see a bunch of cripples in fort mode destroying sieges rather than just an adventurer doing the same.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:31:25 pm »

I had one fort where I had every dwarf assigned to an off-duty military squad, and whenever an ambush came or, for that matter, a non-dwarven caravan I had them all conscripted and go kick their asses.  This was in masterwork.

It worked... surprisingly well, considering how horribly it could have gone.  After the first couple caravans and ambushes, there was quite a selection of weapons and armor to choose from, allowing them to suit up in a mishmash of random gear.

While I wouldn't recommend this strategy, it was somewhat effective.  At reducing the dwarf population.  I'm pretty sure that most of the ambushes wandered off after killing a few dwarves, but the fatality count eventually reached somewhere around 600 in five or so years, dwarves and other.  Which was partially supplemented by the fact that I ran "training exercises": sending the dwarves out to kill random critters I found outdoors.

I have an actual thing I did to train my dwarves in another fortress, I just have to remember it.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:31:29 pm »

I love these posts you make with science in them :)
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »

"Bring out the Gimp."
"Which one?"
"All of them."
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:41 pm »

Wow, I had no idea crutches could be made with platinum without a strange mood!  While I'm too much of a care bear to ever intentionally cripple a dwarf, I will definitely upgrade any melee troops who require a crutch.  "We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:50:20 pm »

Oh my fucking god. This is perfect for my Invalids, who are all too injured to walk/be of use.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:55 am »

Wow, I had no idea crutches could be made with platinum without a strange mood!  While I'm too much of a care bear to ever intentionally cripple a dwarf, I will definitely upgrade any melee troops who require a crutch.  "We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

Crutches can be made out of any metal finished goods can, which is almost any metal. Can anyone confirm whether artefact crutches get the 3x bonus to hit though?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:34:29 am »

Nice science. I really should try this with all the gold I have lying around on my current fort.

Is this thread just for that idea, or does this
This is a thread for investigating unorthodox military strategies...
mean that it is intended as a discussion of military strategy? If so, I have a contribution to make, if not, then it will get its own thread.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 01:36:44 am »

In order to make them truly "Dwarven Special Forces", you should load all your crippled Dwarves into a mine-cart and fire them out through a fortification into the middle of a siege.

"Rashod's Roughnecks... prepare for insertion!"
Never pet a burning dog.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:05:02 am »

Anyone happen to know where crutches are found in the raws?  I'm looking for the contact area and size, but I can't find the entry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:14:12 am by VerdantSF »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:54:58 am »

Anyone happen to know where crutches are found in the raws?  I'm looking for the contact area and size, but I can't find the entry.

I think they're hardcoded, 'cause I did a search for that character string in one of my vanilla raw/objects folders and got diddly-squat. The properties of glass have been memory hacked and are on the wiki, though, so somebody who knows how to do that sort of thing could probably pull out the stats of crutches.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:30 am »

Nice science. I really should try this with all the gold I have lying around on my current fort.

Is this thread just for that idea, or does this
This is a thread for investigating unorthodox military strategies...
mean that it is intended as a discussion of military strategy? If so, I have a contribution to make, if not, then it will get its own thread.

By all means, post it here! I had hoped other people would have interesting ideas to share.

In order to make them truly "Dwarven Special Forces", you should load all your crippled Dwarves into a mine-cart and fire them out through a fortification into the middle of a siege.

"Rashod's Roughnecks... prepare for insertion!"

You know... that actually might might work pretty well. As I understand it, dwarves don't take falling damage while in minecarts, and I know they just hop out of the cart when it stops moving. The biggest hurdle would be getting the soldiers into carts. You'd probably have to assign each dwarf to the squad after he enters the minecart.

Crutches can be made out of any metal finished goods can, which is almost any metal. Can anyone confirm whether artefact crutches get the 3x bonus to hit though?

That's a good question. It would be extremely hard to test, though. Maybe if someone is up for a little more memory hacking...

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 02:29:43 pm »

This is awesome. I can see it now:

"Urist! Send in the cripples!"
"No! Abort the siege, run away! THEY'RE SENDING IN THE CRIPPLES!"
*sounds of crutches beating in goblin skulls*
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 03:21:48 pm »

This has got to be one of the messed up things I've ever read.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5